Funny low-speed break noise

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Funny low-speed brake noise

I recently followed the howto on here for flushing my brake and clutch fluid on my 2007 ST, and also replaced my pads with some EBC pads (front and rear). I cleaned up the pistons and pins (but didn't apply any grease to anything), all the calipers still have their springs. Everything is great, except there's a certain speed window (maybe a few mph), where I feel a short vibration in the pegs and handlebars rhythmically. It makes a slight noise, too (almost like running your finger shortly across some crystal). If I lightly press the rear brake pedal it goes away.

I only notice this when I have the clutch pulled in. If I'm motoring around, I can't hear/feel it over the regular noise/vibes of the bike. I haven't noticed any abnormal heat buildup between the rotors. The pads are lightly floating on the rotor surfaces like I would expect. The wheels don't bind up when I rotate them (although, they don't spin freely either). I've got about 150 miles of commuting (25% stop and go, 75% 60+MPH) on these pads.

I'm thinking of getting some disc brake grease to lightly apply to the pins and pads (where they sit in the caliper) this weekend, is there anything else I should take a look at?

Last edited:
Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
Sounds to me that the new pads might be hitting the ridge that the previous pads have left.
Double check your work to make sure the small protrusions on the front of the pads are in the slots. I found one of my inners on the front weren't in correctly and made a similar noise and vibration like you are having.

OP
OP
k5mitch
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
The bike has 15k on it, for what its worth.

I had to change the front right pads as they were soaked in fork oil, and figured since I was changing them I would change all of them.

OP
OP
k5mitch
Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
Re: Funny low-speed brake noise

I bought some high temp ceramic brake grease this morning. Lubed the back of the pads, the bit that seats in the caliper slot, and the guide pin.

A couple of the pads aren't fully bedded in just yet.

A short test ride shows that my vibe/noise is gone.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I always put a smear of copper grease on the back of the pads and the retaining pin gets a coating of it as well....

I clean my calipers and pistons with ACF50 too....

Never had a problem with brake noise.....

Top Bottom