Fork Brace - Best 30 minute suspension mod ever

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
Re: Fork Brace>>>>Best 30 minute suspension mod ever.

Isn't stiction between the forks a good thing? I know nothing about the physics of how fork braces work but I thought that their purpose was to prevent the forks from moving independently of each other and to force them to move together as one unit.

That's my problem with fork braces. The fork brace needs to be adjustable. IT needs to adjust to the forks not the other way. You now have stiction due to the force of pulling or pushing between the forks.
That's been my experience with reading feedback from folks using fork braces - the stiction issue.
(and many reviews i've read from riders state, "I never noticed a difference" - maybe FB is a placebo for others? ).

Ironically, I just hung up with the CBR Bearings folks to order front and rear bearings + flange bearings.
I don't really need front and rear outer bearings [yet], but want to replace the flange bearings for sure (but will no doubt do the outers while I'm there).

The comment stated to me was, "the front end of the ST1300 is very stout ..." (are you *sure* you want front bearings?)

No doubt Mother Honda engineered some flex in the framework to provide [proper] feedback to the rider - maybe the feedback is mis-interpreted by some?

I had the "issue" initially (for the first couple thousand miles), but understand the feedback now.
Honestly, I think fork braces for modern bikes aren't required.

Last edited:

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

Isn't stiction between the forks a good thing?
There isn't such a thing. If anywhere stiction occurs between the fork tube and the lower leg. That's something you don't want. Between the forks you want unity in movement and no flexing independent or otherwise. The brace is to limit independent flexing of the forks.

The forks should be checked and aligned before the installation of the brace and checked for proper functionality afterwards. (This should be done even if a brace isn't to be installed.) An inaccurately manufactured brace might bow the forks out or pull them in from parallel. Any amount of inaccuracy might induce stiction and premature wear. A small amount might not. In the event of the former it might be a fair trade off for better handling. Or not.

Scientific measurement and testing should be done so that this isn't a case of back and forth opining. But that probably won't happen.

An adjustable brace would allow for some manufacturing tolerance but could add some bulk as that could be a point of weakness exactly where you're trying to increase structural rigidity. It would be more expensive I'd bet.

There may be some excessive fuzziness of the little gray cells but wasn't there an adjustable brace sold years ago?

There may be some excessive fuzziness of the little gray cells but wasn't there an adjustable brace sold years ago?
Yes, I recall seeing one (though I havent searched for it), but its success didn't linger for obvious reasons.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

You guys can Test and engineer all you want. If you have not ridden an ST1300 with a fork brace you should. If the bike didnt need one putting one on shouldn't make any difference in handling. Perhaps mine was just a lemon and needed one. In the mean time I am riding and enjoying my ST more than ever. You have the floor!! Over and out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

You guys can Test and engineer all you want.
I wish somebody would do so. Always nice to have solid evidence supporting opinion. Even without it I'm on record as wanting one. If it helps great.

As it's an individual choice that affects no one but the rider there should be no need for anybody to get their knickers in a twist. As for hot air that's what forums are for.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #

There isn't such a thing. If anywhere stiction occurs between the fork tube and the lower leg. That's something you don't want. Between the forks you want unity in movement and no flexing independent or otherwise. The brace is to limit independent flexing of the forks.

The forks should be checked and aligned before the installation of the brace and checked for proper functionality afterwards. (This should be done even if a brace isn't to be installed.) An inaccurately manufactured brace might bow the forks out or pull them in from parallel. Any amount of inaccuracy might induce stiction and premature wear. A small amount might not. In the event of the former it might be a fair trade off for better handling. Or not.

Scientific measurement and testing should be done so that this isn't a case of back and forth opining. But that probably won't happen.

An adjustable brace would allow for some manufacturing tolerance but could add some bulk as that could be a point of weakness exactly where you're trying to increase structural rigidity. It would be more expensive I'd bet.

Yes there was. I had one on my 83 Suzuki GS1100e many years ago. I forget the name of it.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

I was noticing the front end of the ST was riding hard , jolting , not nearly as compliant over the bumps as before the fork brace was put on. In the garage I jacked up & down on the front end with the front brakes applied and could barely do it , the stiction was considerable , even though me weighing ~240 , so I took off the fork brace and jacked up & down again & it was smooth as silk like it had been before the brace - stiction wasn't noticeable at all ! Re mounted it and the stiction had came back , took it off and it was gone again ! very annoying for the money I spent ! I was about to sell it , as MCL won't do returns / refunds on something that was installed . What good is that , it was brand new and affected the suspension ! The large part of the brace around the tubes , center to center looked perfect , It wasn't going on angle-cockeyed , but as soon as the 4 screws got tightened the stiction was there again.
So I decided to experiment on how it was mounting up. I ended up sanding off the paint on my tubes in the fork brace clamp area , to lessen the thickness amount compressed by the clamping , and to bare the metal. Sanded the 3 piece brace clamp areas smoother - same reason. I then decided to turn the brace around , screws forward , so I could make sure it was straight , compared to the fork tube slot lower edge. Now, If I tightened it per instructions the stiction would come back about half of what it was . I decided to loosen it back up again and put thin , red Locktight Threadlocker on the clamping surfaces and the 4 threads and tightened finger-tight for me ( which I have always had strong hands / fingers ) and let it dry after test - jacking on the suspension and it was smooth & compliant again with the brace on ! For good measure , I then used my grease gun with my needle injector to fill the area between the fork seal and the rubber bug & dirt scraper with synthetic moly grease. That should eliminate any residual stiction for a long time. I've used heavy rear-end oil in that area of front forks on many bikes for the last 35 years for stiction , with no fork seal failures despite the age of the bikes. I'll go on a ride tomorrow.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

I was noticing the front end of the ST was riding hard , jolting , not nearly as compliant over the bumps as before the fork brace was put on. In the garage I jacked up & down on the front end with the front brakes applied and could barely do it , the stiction was considerable , even though me weighing ~240 , so I took off the fork brace and jacked up & down again & it was smooth as silk like it had been before the brace - stiction wasn't noticeable at all ! Re mounted it and the stiction had came back , took it off and it was gone again ! very annoying for the money I spent ! I was about to sell it , as MCL won't do returns / refunds on something that was installed . What good is that , it was brand new and affected the suspension ! The large part of the brace around the tubes , center to center looked perfect , It wasn't going on angle-cockeyed , but as soon as the 4 screws got tightened the stiction was there again.
So I decided to experiment on how it was mounting up. I ended up sanding off the paint on my tubes in the fork brace clamp area , to lessen the thickness amount compressed by the clamping , and to bare the metal. Sanded the 3 piece brace clamp areas smoother - same reason. I then decided to turn the brace around , screws forward , so I could make sure it was straight , compared to the fork tube slot lower edge. Now, If I tightened it per instructions the stiction would come back about half of what it was . I decided to loosen it back up again and put thin , red Locktight Threadlocker on the clamping surfaces and the 4 threads and tightened finger-tight for me ( which I have always had strong hands / fingers ) and let it dry after test - jacking on the suspension and it was smooth & compliant again with the brace on ! For good measure , I then used my grease gun with my needle injector to fill the area between the fork seal and the rubber bug & dirt scraper with synthetic moly grease. That should eliminate any residual stiction for a long time. I've used heavy rear-end oil in that area of front forks on many bikes for the last 35 years for stiction , with no fork seal failures despite the age of the bikes. I'll go on a ride tomorrow.
i did find it was a good idea to loosen the left axle punch bolts first then tighten the brace and re tighten the left axle pinch bolts. Recently had mine apart for spring replacement and followed this procedure. Still working great and no stiction.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

i did find it was a good idea to loosen the left axle punch bolts first
Hm. I'm tempted to try that and then retorque the bolts before putting on the brace to see if there's a fitment issue. The bolts can always be loosened and retorqued after the brace is tightened if there is a problem.

It still surprises me that the brace's clamps could compress the tubes enough to cause any stiction problem let alone a significant one. I'm leaning towards a powder-coated version so it might be a good idea to sand in inner diameter.

Last edited:

I jacked up & down on the front end with the front brakes applied and could barely do it , the stiction was considerable , even though me weighing ~240 , so I took off the fork brace and jacked up & down again & it was smooth as silk like it had been before the brace - stiction wasn't noticeable at all !
Pretty much my argument for *NOT* using a fork brace.

I ended up sanding off the paint on my tubes in the fork brace clamp area , to lessen the thickness amount compressed by the clamping , and to bare the metal
Sad you shaved the forks down to bare metal to make this brace work. I would have opted to shave the brace, but then again, I wouldn't install one.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
It sounds like he sanded both the brace and the tubes. If it comes to that I'll just sand the brace. In the final analysis if the brace works it will stay. If it doesn't it will come off.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

It still surprises me that the brace's clamps could compress the tubes enough to cause any stiction problem let alone a significant one. I'm leaning towards a powder-coated version so it might be a good idea to sand in inner diameter.
I dont think the MCL fork brace compresses the outer tube enough cause stiction. I believe if the forks are slightly misaligned before installing the brace tightening the brace could put things in a bind. That's why I loosen the left axle pinch bolts first.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

I dont think the MCL fork brace compresses the outer tube enough cause stiction. I believe if the forks are slightly misaligned before installing the brace tightening the brace could put things in a bind. That's why I loosen the left axle pinch bolts first.
This is my read as well.

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
The experimentation worked , It rode 7 hours today smooth again AND didn't wander about , like before the brace . The brace with the Threadlocker "glue" worked to hold the brace tight with the screws not torqued down so darn hard , but had the threadlocker on them, too. After all that , I fully believe the clamping force created by the 4 screws torqued so much to the instructions causes the fork seal to slightly "oval" , causing the stiction. Take it off and , fortunately , the fork seal diameter sprung back to normal circular - boy , that was a relief !
But , if you want a fork brace on, I don't see another way to attach a fork brace to the ST1300 using the existing mounts for the fender and brake system , especially on the left side. -( not beefy enough tabs with brake system in the way ), other than clamping around the fork tubes , like this MCL does.
If you could design a clamp that doesn't exert all the clamping force in just one direction , to "oval" a tube., you would have something. A customer shouldn't have to go through what I did to make it work or pitch it when your front suspension turns into a rock , $90 down the drain !

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Congratulations on a) getting it to fit properly and b) getting an improvement in the handling.

Here's hoping your situation was an anomaly. Even if it isn't you've laid some groundwork and it's appreciated. My buddy put a Superbrace on his GW with no issues whatsoever and it improved the handling noticeably. I'm going to have to order soon.

Top Bottom