Fork Brace - Best 30 minute suspension mod ever

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Just installed a MCL Fork brace on my ST1300. I was really only expecting minor improvement but was amazed at how much this 30 minute mod improved handling. Front steering was rubbery and I had a tendency to over compensate when making steering input. Now the front steering is much more solid and precise. I noticed considerably less road shock being transmitted into the handle bars and reduced steering effort which should pay off in spades on long rides. Before I always felt like I had a death grip on the bars and now with the added control I feel I can relax a little. Installation was easy, directions clear and the quality was the highest. Kudos to Motorcycle Larry once again.

Bike
2015 FJR1300 ES
Re: Fork Brace>>>>Best 30 minute suspension mod ever.

Hmmmm may have to get this as mine is an 'O4 and has some issues with the steering.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

I have had mine on my ST since new and have never ridden it without, so that is good to know that it make a difference.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Rode 40 miles more today in high gusty winds at 70-80mph. Steering felt great. Before in high winds there were times I thought I would wet myself. This mod doesn't do anything for the nose dive during braking but that's a separate issue. I'm a big guy 6'3 230 ride 2 up frequently and am planning on a Sonic spring upgrade this winter. I'm guessing that may take more than 30 minutes.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

planning on a Sonic spring upgrade this winter. I'm guessing that may take more than 30 minutes.
Was actually easier then I thought to do. I combined it in with a brake pad replacement and good thorough cleaning of the front end. Easily do it in an afternoon.

But I had a hard time getting my lower sections lined back up to keep the axle straight... :confused: yes... I had to think on that one for a minute.... ;)
And I ended up with a spare pair of washers, luckily The Dan took care of them for me.

The spring upgrade is nice, new oil and new pre-load setting make a nice difference.

I can't get my head around the fork brace. Yes, some bikes came from the factory with a brace, but those are rigidly mounted to tabs and oval through bolt holes on the brace itself. And those are bikes with less than sizable fork tubes.

The ST has some pretty beefy forks.

As there are obvious fork (& brace) production variance, i dont see how these non-adjustable braces offer any advantage.

I suspect what is happening is that folks are misinterpreting this new friction as a form of improved rigidity. These forks were not designed for these clamping forces and the underlying slider tubes, IMO, are actually binding.

Last edited:
Bike
2016 FJR1300ES
STOC #

Rode 40 miles more today in high gusty winds at 70-80mph. Steering felt great. Before in high winds there were times I thought I would wet myself. This mod doesn't do anything for the nose dive during braking but that's a separate issue. I'm a big guy 6'3 230 ride 2 up frequently and am planning on a Sonic spring upgrade this winter. I'm guessing that may take more than 30 minutes.
I have a set of Sonic 1.2 springs if you want them. Use the app on their site to see what springs they recommend for you and your riding style. If these are a match you can have them if you pay for the shipping.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

As there are obvious cork production variance, i dont see how these non-adjustable braces offer any advantage.
Adding a bit of rigidity tying the forks together preventing the wheel from getting torqued sideways.

From what I saw the units don't have enough screw power to crush the cylinder tubes at all. Small allen set screws.

Adding a bit of rigidity tying the forks together preventing the wheel from getting torqued sideways.

From what I saw the units don't have enough screw power to crush the cylinder tubes at all. Small allen set screws.
Let's explore a couple of things.

Let's say we're sitting in front of the bike, looking at the forks - there are three possibilities:
a) One fork lower-leg could move up the inner fork tube, independent of the other lower-leg.
b) One or more fork legs could bow outwards
c) One or more fork legs could bow inwards.

I don't see (a) happening, unless the front wheel bearings are so bad, the wheel wobbles sideways (at extreme top and bottom of tire). Even so, if the scenario were possible, there's no way the brace could hold the one leg in place, unless the "height" of the brace were something like 4-6 inches.

I can see where a brace could prevent (or lessen) (b) or (c), but I dont see how (b)\(c) could happen, esp since the inner fork is never at it's upper limit - with the bike at rest, the inner tube is submerged in the lower tube.

Okay, now another couple scenarios:
Let's say we're sitting on the side of the bike, looking at the side profile of the forks - there are two possibilities:
(d) One (or more) fork leg(s) could bow forward
(e) One (or more) fork leg(s) could bow rearward
(f) Each leg does the opposite

Seems unbelievable for this to happen; however, if either were to happen, a brace would not help, because I see the forks "rotating" within the sleeves of the brace (remember, there's only some small set screws being used with undo clamping forces to lock the forks in place).

Did I cover all potential scenarios? I am not, by a long-shot, a mechanical engineer or race-suspension engineer.

Let's examine the "preventing the wheel from getting torqued sideways". I think this would refer to (a). Where we sit in front of the bike looking towards the back and someone is standing to the side of the bike, and grabs the top of the front wheel and pushes and pulls on it. That would imply, to me, a bad axle or bearings.

Here again, I dont see how a brace could lessen this motion because of the fork leg tubes rotating inside each of the brace's "clamps".

Has anyone seen the "Superbrace simulation" ? They suggest (b) and (c) (stated as "lateral fork flex") and "torsional fork flex", my (f).
As I stated, "lateral flex" is partially believable, but I still dont see it. And with torsional flex, I can see the forks rotating within the brace.

I measured the front fork tubes' OD .... inner: 45mm, outer: 55mm. I just dont see how the forks could flex as demonstrated by superbrace. At least enough that a brace would "fix" things.

Last edited:

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #

Explore some long thin steel wall tubing that is only clamped at one end, basic cantilever. Plenty of room for flex in there, not to mention the built in clearance for the bushings. If one bushing is wore one side the other can help it out.
Put a brace tying them together half way down, eliminate some flex. Only takes a little bit of flex, and happens to fast for you to see.
Front wheel gets bumped and knocked in all directions.

Not sure if I am sensitive enough or push the bike so hard that I could feel the difference. But I haven't really heard anyone say they didn't make a difference, unless they just don't want to admit they wasted money.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #

I know when the fork brace broke on my V65 Magna you could tell that instantly. They must do something.

I know when the fork brace broke on my V65 Magna you could tell that instantly. They must do something.
I don't doubt - the bike was *designed* to have one from the get-go. It had 2 tabs (for a bolt) on each lower fork, with a rectangular plate as the brace, right?

Not sure if I am sensitive enough or push the bike so hard that I could feel the difference. But I haven't really heard anyone say they didn't make a difference, unless they just don't want to admit they wasted money.
I've read and spoken with folks who state:
"don't waste your money"
"I put one on, but couldn't tell the difference".
"I put one on while I had the forks drained and when I went through the full range, the forks were binding".
Obviously, there are many folks who state they work.

Don't get me rwong, I've considered buying one, but I question the *true* effectiveness, versus spending money on doing something *more correct*, such as springs, gold valve, etc.

I've read posts in other forums, including Wing, FJ, Kaw, and so on. Some folks say it works, some say it doesn't, some say it worked on xxxx model year bike, but when they put on the newer xxxx year model, it made no difference.

Any empirical evidence to support [sic] a fork brace's effectiveness on an ST1300, versus potentially subjective evidence?
What about a steering damper?

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Let's say we're sitting in front of the bike, looking at the forks - there are three possibilities:
a) One fork lower-leg could move up the inner fork tube, independent of the other lower-leg.
b) One or more fork legs could bow outwards
c) One or more fork legs could bow inwards.

I don't see (a) happening, unless the front wheel bearings are so bad, the wheel wobbles sideways (at extreme top and bottom of tire). Even so, if the scenario were possible, there's no way the brace could hold the one leg in place, unless the "height" of the brace were something like 4-6 inches.

I can see where a brace could prevent (or lessen) (b) or (c), but I dont see how (b)\(c) could happen, esp since the inner fork is never at it's upper limit - with the bike at rest, the inner tube is submerged in the lower tube.

Okay, now another couple scenarios:
Let's say we're sitting on the side of the bike, looking at the side profile of the forks - there are two possibilities:
(d) One (or more) fork leg(s) could bow forward
(e) One (or more) fork leg(s) could bow rearward
(f) Each leg does the opposite

Seems unbelievable for this to happen; however, if either were to happen, a brace would not help, because I see the forks "rotating" within the sleeves of the brace (remember, there's only some small set screws being used with undo clamping forces to lock the forks in place).

Did I cover all potential scenarios? I am not, by a long-shot, a mechanical engineer or race-suspension engineer.

Let's examine the "preventing the wheel from getting torqued sideways". I think this would refer to (a). Where we sit in front of the bike looking towards the back and someone is standing to the side of the bike, and grabs the top of the front wheel and pushes and pulls on it. That would imply, to me, a bad axle or bearings.

Here again, I dont see how a brace could lessen this motion because of the fork leg tubes rotating inside each of the brace's "clamps".

Has anyone seen the "Superbrace simulation" ? They suggest (b) and (c) (stated as "lateral fork flex") and "torsional fork flex", my (f).
As I stated, "lateral flex" is partially believable, but I still dont see it. And with torsional flex, I can see the forks rotating within the brace.

I measured the front fork tubes' OD .... inner: 45mm, outer: 55mm. I just dont see how the forks could flex as demonstrated by superbrace. At least enough that a brace would "fix" things.

I have not gone down the path of measuring and comparing tube sizes, metal composition and hardness or any purely scientific study to determine how many hundredths of a millimeter the tubes flex while riding. In my world I don't have lab facilities nor time to re-engineer so trial and error in this case was my best option. I think $100 and 30 minutes could have been wasted but in this case it was not. I can only say from my 40+ years of riding I have never ridden a bike that has as much spaghetti like steering as my St1300. I use proper service procedures, torque wrenches and years of mechanical repair experience to base my premise and attempted solution on. I can tell you without hesitation the forks are not binding with the new fork brace in place an it is not a placebo effect. I have ridden much heavier and lighter bikes that all had solid steering and now finally so does my ST1300.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

+1 Those are some pretty beefy forks.

woodybelle

Site Supporter
Bike
2006 ST1300

I find it odd that you describe your ST as having spaghetti handling. My 2006 ST has better handling than any other bike I have owned. I'd describe it as rock solid.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

I find it odd that you describe your ST as having spaghetti handling. My 2006 ST has better handling than any other bike I have owned. I'd describe it as rock solid.
I bought mine used with 9300 miles on it. No evidence of damage or repairs. I had never ridden an ST 1300 prior nor have I ridden any other to compare it to. My ST has always been a hand full to steer, dancing badly in dirty air and hard to control precisely in the turns. Until i added the fork brace. Maybe this is unique to my ST. Before adding the brace I went thru the front end checking torques, alignment etc. but did not find anything loose, misaligned or improperly installed. Changed Front tire from Dunlop to PR3 with improved traction but no significant change in steering.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #

just curious what other bikes you're comparing it with, that makes a big difference. Ride a sportbike for a few years and the ST handling will not feel impressive.

I have not gone down the path of measuring and comparing tube sizes, metal composition and hardness or any purely scientific study to determine how many hundredths of a millimeter the tubes flex while riding. In my world I don't have lab facilities nor time to re-engineer so trial and error in this case was my best option.

I think $100 and 30 minutes could have been wasted but in this case it was not. I can only say from my 40+ years of riding I have never ridden a bike that has as much spaghetti like steering as my St1300. I use proper service procedures, torque wrenches and years of mechanical repair experience to base my premise and attempted solution on.

I can tell you without hesitation the forks are not binding with the new fork brace in place an it is not a placebo effect. I have ridden much heavier and lighter bikes that all had solid steering and now finally so does my ST1300.
I never meant to suggest one of us go out and do some empirical testing :D
I was looking for some "independent lab" testing results, so we'll have to stick with subjective results.

A question or two about your bike:
* Any fork mods up front (springs, gold valve, etc)?
* Any mods at the rear?
* On the pre-load:
** How many clicks (from start) till you feel resistance?
** How many clicks do you adjust to when riding? Two up?
** Do you use a top-case: occasionally, all-the-time, never (?) Two up?
* How many miles on the rear flange bearings?

Thanks!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

I think I'll try one , my ST only has ~14K miles on it and steering on the Interstate does a noticeable amount of " searching /wandering" , whereas my '91 GoldWing on the same roads just stays more planted / doesn't wander around in the lane.

Top Bottom