CruSTy

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Re: Fork Brace>>>>Best 30 minute suspension mod ever.

I never meant to suggest one of us go out and do some empirical testing :D
I was looking for some "independent lab" testing results, so we'll have to stick with subjective results.

A question or two about your bike:
* Any fork mods up front (springs, gold valve, etc)? Only mod up front is Fenda Extenda
* Any mods at the rear? None
* On the pre-load:
** How many clicks (from start) till you feel resistance? Haven't checked in the last couple of months but after i refilled the resevoir it was about 1 turn to feel resistance and 31 clicks to full preload
** How many clicks do you adjust to when riding? Two up? 15-20 clicks riding alone 25-29 clicks for 2 up and loaded
** Do you use a top-case: occasionally, all-the-time, never (?) Two up? Hondaline Top box on 99% of the time
* How many miles on the rear flange bearings? ~15300 miles (present miles on bike). Inspected when I replaced the rear tire 1000 miles ago.

Thanks!
* Any fork mods up front (springs, gold valve, etc)? Only mod up front is Fenda Extenda
* On the pre-load:
** How many clicks (from start) till you feel resistance? Haven't checked in the last couple of months but after i refilled the resevoir it was about 1 turn to feel resistance and 31 clicks to full preload
** How many clicks do you adjust to when riding? Two up? 15-20 clicks riding alone 25-29 clicks for 2 up and loaded
** Do you use a top-case: occasionally, all-the-time, never (?) Two up? Hondaline Top box on 99% of the time
* How many miles on the rear flange bearings? ~15300 miles (present miles on bike). Inspected when I replaced the rear tire 1000 miles ago.

Last edited:

* On the pre-load:
Great information ... good to hear the low-cost brace solution has solved most of the handling issues on your bike. Thanks for the feedback, Chuck !

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Do you like the Fenda Extenda ?

Fenda Extenda was on the bike when I bought it. Hasn't given me any trouble looks good and i think it keeps crud off the radiator and front of the engine.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

but I question the *true* effectiveness, versus spending money on doing something *more correct*, such as springs, gold valve, etc.
I think a fork brace vs rebuilding forks is apples vs oranges. How does increasing spring rate (for most of us) and all the other stuff provide what the fork brace purports to: non-flexing forks?

Empirical testing can be pricey but I may just give it a try. I don't know that I'll be able to perceive an improvement when adding it. But after several hundred miles removing it may be more revealing than adding it.

What about a steering damper?
Not apples vs oranges but I think a damper is still not quite an apple. Steering head bearings can affect handling but making sure they're up to snuff doesn't do what a fork brace can (potentially).

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #

I have a set of Sonic 1.2 springs if you want them. Use the app on their site to see what springs they recommend for you and your riding style. If these are a match you can have them if you pay for the shipping.
If he doesn't want the springs, I'll definitely take them. I just did the calculations and that's the rate I need. Ready to install now.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

If he doesn't want the springs, I'll definitely take them. I just did the calculations and that's the rate I need. Ready to install now.
Too late I already put in my request

Bike
2005 ST1300

Where do you get this fork brace from?
He got them from Motorcycle Larry's.

Couplers...here is a pic of my aftermarket fork seals. Do you think I will need to destroy them to put the brace on? What would I replace them with?

I am not much of a wrench. I have never done a brace so a little unsure how this all goes together. I did read the instructions on the MLC website.

ST1300 Forks.JPG

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #

Couplers...here is a pic of my aftermarket fork seals. Do you think I will need to destroy them to put the brace on? What would I replace them with?

I am not much of a wrench. I have never done a brace so a little unsure how this all goes together. I did read the instructions on the MLC website.

ST1300 Forks.JPG
The brace will mount down below your fork socks with no problems.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

ST1300 Forks.JPG
I think your picture shows dust boots installed if I am understanding your description correctly. The fork seal is actually a different part which is down inside the upper end of the lower fork. The instructions have you mount the brace just above the annulus groove. I looks like that groove is where your boot is attached (Those look great btw). I don't believe there is enough clearance between the brace and the fender to allow it to be moved down below the groove. My guess is you will not be able to keep your boots. The MCL fork brace has optional dust deflectors that mimic the factory ones that are removed when installing the brace. Fork removal is not required.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 ST1300

I think your picture shows dust boots installed if I am understanding your description correctly. The fork seal is actually a different part which is down inside the upper end of the lower fork. The instructions have you mount the brace just above the annulus groove. I looks like that groove is where your boot is attached (Those look great btw). I don't believe there is enough clearance between the brace and the fender to allow it to be moved down below the groove. My guess is you will not be able to keep your boots. The MCL fork brace has optional dust deflectors that mimic the factory ones that are removed when installing the brace. Fork removal is not required.
Ok, I think I understand it now. I did see the dust covers on the website. So it sounds like I'll be removing the ones I have, installing the brace and the new dust covers from MLC.

I will probably wait until winter knowing me I will turn a 30 minute job into a three day weekend. I would rather have it cold and raining when I did that. Thanks for the feedback from both you and Mike.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #

On the MCL web site there are instructions on how you can re-use the factory dust covers.

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

On the MCL web site there are instructions on how you can re-use the factory dust covers.
Good catch I missed that and cut mine off. It does however look like they fudged the brace down lower than the instructions show thus reducing the clamping surface for the brace. How easily would the adhesive come loose for fork servicing in the future? Anyone tired this?

Bike
05 ST1300 abs

just curious what other bikes you're comparing it with, that makes a big difference. Ride a sportbike for a few years and the ST handling will not feel impressive.
I rode a Honda RC51 sportbike for 30k miles prior to the ST. Although the RC handled better, I find the ST has superb handling.

I find it odd that you describe your ST as having spaghetti handling. My 2006 ST has better handling than
any other bike I have owned. I'd describe it as rock solid.
I would add 'confidence inspiring' to the above. Very neutral & balanced. Each set of tires has improved my confidence. Bridgestone OEM, Michelin PR3 & now PR4 GT's.

I do have 1st hand experience w/ a fork brace. I made this one in 2002 for my Honda XR250R dirt bike which had very weak forks. This brace stiffened the forks (what a brace is supposed to do) & improved the handling of the bike dramatically.

Attachments

OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

just curious what other bikes you're comparing it with, that makes a big difference. Ride a sportbike for a few years and the ST handling will not feel impressive.
I missed your post earlier. Last year I put a couple hundred miles on a 2012 Harley road glide ultra. The year before a Honda GL1800. In the 80s I was a training instructor for American Honda and had access to most anything honda made at the time. Rode V45 and V65 Magnas, GL1100, CX500 turbo, GL500, CB600 and a few more. Maybe my ST1300 is unique. In any case it steers correctly now and I have enjoyed the last 200 miles snice the upgrade.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

I rode a Honda RC51 sportbike for 30k miles prior to the ST. Although the RC handled better, I find the ST has superb handling.

I would add 'confidence inspiring' to the above. Very neutral & balanced. Each set of tires has improved my confidence. Bridgestone OEM, Michelin PR3 & now PR4 GT's.

I do have 1st hand experience w/ a fork brace. I made this one in 2002 for my Honda XR250R dirt bike which had very weak forks. This brace stiffened the forks (what a brace is supposed to do) & improved the handling of the bike dramatically.
Very impressive piece of machine work!!!

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010

but I question the *true* effectiveness, versus spending money on doing something *more correct*, such as springs, gold valve, etc.
I think a fork brace vs rebuilding forks is apples vs oranges. How does increasing spring rate (for most of us) spring rate and all the other stuff provide what the fork brace purports to: non-flexing forks?

Empirical testing can be pricey but I may just give it a try. I don't know that I'll be able to perceive an improvement when adding it. But after several hundred miles removing it may be more revealing than adding it.

What about a steering damper?
Not apples vs oranges but I think a damper is still not quite an apple. Steering head bearings can affect handling but making sure they're up to snuff doesn't do what a fork brace can (potentially).

Very impressive piece of machine work!!!
That looked like something that was designed for the ISS!! Beauty, eh!

Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #

Got my MCL fork brace today, looks good, got it installed , along with a Fenda Extenda. I'll see how it is tomorrow on the road. Used the original dirt shields but rotated them to clear the lower fork clamps. Fork brace was 2 millimeters below fork seals so that positioned the dirt shields concentrically.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CruSTy

CruSTy

Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #

Got my MCL fork brace today, looks good, got it installed , along with a Fenda Extenda. I'll see how it is tomorrow on the road. Used the original dirt shields but rotated them to clear the lower fork clamps. Fork brace was 2 millimeters below fork seals so that positioned the dirt shields concentrically.
Thanks for the update. Keep me posted tomorrow after your ride. I rode 600 miles 2 up this weekend. 400 highway and 200 miles of serious twisties in the Ozark Mountains. I can't believe this is the same bike I purchased used last year. Went down the highway like it was on rails. Stable an predictable in the corners and cross winds. The only remaining issue I see is the under sprung suspension. Front springs will be taken care of soon thanks to a fellow site supporter and I will be ordering a new rear one to install over the winter. Next challenge. Bike now has 16,000 miles on it and its time to check the valve clearances and adjust the balancers.

Last edited:
Top Bottom