Determining Tire Wear on BT-023's

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
I was looking at my Bridgestone BT-023's today and came to the web site for some info.
I have 7800 miles on them and they look good, but I'm not sure of what the thin line in the middle of the tread indicates.
When I look at pix in this forum, I see the same thin line in a lot of pix. The line is only about 1/16 of and inch wide.
Does the appearance of that line mean its time for new tires or is it time when that line is finally worn off?
The measured tread depth as close to the center of the tires as I can measure is 2 to 3 mm.
The side walls have good tread as I don't ride that hard. I have a couple of trips coming up and just need to decide if its tire time or not.

DonMac

My backyard
Bike
1998 ST1100
STOC #
I was just reading in a m/c mag. that is a grounding strip to remove static electricity generated in the tire. The purpose is so you don't get a shock when putting your foot down..All tires have it but some are more evident than others.

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
I was just reading in a m/c mag. that is a grounding strip to remove static electricity generated in the tire. The purpose is so you don't get a shock when putting your foot down..All tires have it but some are more evident than others.
I'd like to know what magazine you read that in. I think you are being misinformed.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Certainly when I worked for Michelin there were no tyres that I dealt with that had anything like that.... not to say they don't now, but I doubt it.....

CWDUSMC

Site Supporter
Bike
01 ST-1100
STOC #
I had the same line on my last front BT023 and on my current BT023 (6K miles). The last set was replaced at 17,600 miles so unless you are down to the wear bars as shown in the link posted by BakerBoy, you have a ways to go. Of course, your "easy miles" may not be the same as my "easy miles." There is an older post regarding the "line" (search for BT023) in the forums that also states it acts as a "static strip." https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?103846-Bridgestone-023-Line&highlight=bt023

Others may disagree but unless I am planning a trip, I would disagree with the article statement about the tire in the article picture being worn out and needing replacement. Depends on what you are doing and how hard you ride. For commuting back and forth to work (27 miles), I run my tires well past the point when the wear bar first touches the road. I get a fresh set ordered so I am ready for a change. If I am planning a trip then I will replace earlier rather than later since I don't want cord to start showing on a trip and be forced into an emergency tire purchase and change!

Ride safe,

Bike
1&2 2005 ST1300ABS's
STOC #
That line on the 023's (both front and rear)has nothing to do with wear.
That is correct.
It is an Anti Static carbon strip

When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
In order to facilitate this there is a carbon black strip built into the tyre during manufacture. This strip is moulded into the tyre before curing using carbon, as this is a good conductor of static electricity. This strip is practically invisible on a new tyre, but can appear as the tyre wears, especially if the usage of the motorcycle is not high. There is no detrimental effect on the performance of the tyre either before, during or after this strip has become apparent. The positioning of this groove is slightly "off centre".

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
Thanks for the picture veefore.
That is exactly the line I was referring to.
From the other posts and looking at all the wear indicators on my tires, I'm still good for more miles.
Thanks for the responses and "schooling" me on tires.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
For commuting back and forth to work (27 miles), I run my tires well past the point when the wear bar first touches the road.
I do the same, I usually wait until a little cord is showing, but I live in a place where it hardly ever rains so the lack of tread is no big deal. YMMV.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
When a motorcycle is in use there is a build up of static within the machine. It is necessary to ensure that this is dispersed during usage.
regularly scraping the pegs in corners achieves the same goal :D

Rossi

R.I.P. - 2014/08/28
Rest In Peace
Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Well, maybe I was wrong, but I always thought that line indicated where the 2 compounds of the tire met (dual compound).

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Thanks for the picture veefore.
That is exactly the line I was referring to.
From the other posts and looking at all the wear indicators on my tires, I'm still good for more miles.
Thanks for the responses and "schooling" me on tires.
No problem.......tell you the truth, I wondered what the heck that was myself. Unrelated but I have a fair bit of cupping on the rear already. I did have a couple of spirited rides in the twisties helping my friend break in his 14 FJR ES but I don't recall my 020's doing it this early. Always 42 frt and rr

Last edited:
Bike
R1200rt
bt 23 do not have nylon. nylon causes static electricity-- remember the old cars with the rubber strips hanging off of the rear bumper??

Top Bottom