Are the ABS1 bikes doomed?

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I repair ABS modulators for motorcycles and am concerned about the cost of new modulators. Honda's retail for an ABS1 modulator is around $2200.00 according to some of the on-line parts suppliers. I receive a steady flow of modulators for repair, often both are malfunctioning. Add some labor to two modulators and the cost can easily hit $4500.00 which might exceed the value of many of the ABS1 ST1100's. For the average rider, this should be a deal breaker for these bikes, right?

That would be a very unhappy state of affairs but the reality is that it is very likely that both modulators will fail at about the same time because they operate under the same conditions. That's what I see from customers.

I'm wondering how others feel about the threat to my favorite motorcycle?

Please get the word out that replaced/surplus ABS1 modulators, working or not, should not be thrown away. Please!

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...the reality is that it is very likely that both modulators will fail at about the same time because they operate under the same conditions.
Any correlation to infrequent replacement/flush of brake fluid?
AFAIK are most issues corrosion related?

OP
OP
Norm

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I don't know of any solid data so only speculation. The brake fluid in the main system is not shared or exchanged with that inside the modulators. For that reason it seems that exchanging the main braking system fluid can have only a small effect on that within the modulators. I think the only effect will be that of osmosis along the sealing surfaces separating the two fluids. I've long believed that there might be small benefit. Since there is obvious benefit to changing the main system fluid and no disadvantage to either system, that's the strategy I've followed.

Most modulator issues are corrosion related, IME. I think it's simply a matter of time, or maybe that should be a matter of decades.
I did three modulators today, two of which were corrosion related problems. One limit switch far out of adjustment which is the first I've seen. The switch was closed all the time so would not have set a code #1 or #3. It seems to support my practice of forcing the ABS to operate from time to time as the best confirmation of operation.

Any correlation to infrequent replacement/flush of brake fluid?
AFAIK are most issues corrosion related?

Jonb

Red Arr00w
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I have a 99 ST1100ABS and when I come to a stop after a long ride the ABS lights start blinking. If I turn the bike off and back on the blinking stops. Any idea as to what's happening and what I should try as a remedy?

Top Bottom