Fuel guage float

Bike
1993 ST1100
I have a 1993 ST1100 with 28,000 miles. The fuel gage doesn't move off of full until almost 200 miles are run out of the tank. I looked in the filler hole after 300 miles and the gage is almost to half. The float arm appears too long as the float rests against the sloping front of the tank. Is that arm adjustable or is it perhaps the wrong application installed before I bought the bike at 23,000 miles in December 2013? From reading these informative threads the gas tank removal doesn't look too difficult. I also wondered about making a bend in the arm so the float clears the tank front and makes the reading more accurate.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
The float arm/wire can be bend for calibration, IIRC are there several threads about this topic.
I'd empty the tank, remove the fuel pump and access the wire from there; by this you could move the float by hand from "empty" to "full" to see if the gauge follows accordingly.
And yes: work in a well vented place, well clear of any open flame...

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
And remove you cigarette from your mouth ( if your'e a smoker ) and set it down at least 10 feet away from the work area .......

The gauge isn't that accurate. Mine starts to move off full after about 75 miles. When on empty, I have about 1.2 gallons in the tank.

Seriously, sounds like your sensor is defective, if it's that far off. I doubt if bending may help. But maybe it will. You might want to get another sensor off EBay to compare to yours and/or to replace yours with. I just got one for $20 w/shipping ( really ). I have a spare tank I will be installing it in ( long story ).

For more info. see : http://www.pan-europe.utvinternet.ie/guides/recalibrate_your_fuel_gauge.htm

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
It also seems advisable to have a new gasket (37801-689-000 PACKING BASE) avail before removing the fuel sender and use it when reinstalling named.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
You can bend the wire without removing the tank. Pull the fuel pump, use hooks, sticks, etc. to push, pull as needed thru to two holes. BTDT.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
But also this gasket should be replaced when opening...
True, pretty much any gasket should be replaced, not reused. But like many of the "replaceable" bolts, reuse is possible with luck

BTW, the float faces front, bending the bale up causes to gas gauge to drop sooner which is the result most folks want.

The actual float sensor is a simple winding with a sweeper hand, as the float drops in the tank, the resistance on the sensor changes causing a corresponding changing in the fuel gauge. The wiring is thru the left side of tank, connected thru the red connector at the left side of the frame. The winding is very thin wire, subject to damage over time.

The "low fuel" light is a different unit, attached to the fuel pump and wired thru there as well. Don't confuse the two.

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Think its normal for the gauge to START moving at about 120 - 135 miles. Mine does that pretty consistently Every time. Don't think the float starts moving untill that much fuel is burned off. 200 mi. sounds a little high, but don't know that I'd mess with it too much. BOTTOM LINE----- when U get to about 300 miles on ODO. -- it's time to Fill Up!

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
I usually refill at ~250 miles, wanna keep the fuel pump under the gas. Go to 280 occasionally which usually takes 6+ gallons to fill up.

Top Bottom