Seat Opener Mounting

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a ST1300AP. I want to put a 1-piece seat on and need the seat catch hook, cable and seat opener installed. There was an article I read already but old now, from 2006. It is focused on putting on a rear seat, and I believe a new seat rail is not required for a 1-piece seat replacement. There is no detail on how the seat opener mounts which is located under the L-Hand grab rail lever. The seat opener releases the rear seat in the case of a 2-seat install, or the whole seat on a 1-piece seat install.

Can anybody help? Honda diagrams aren't helping, they show a mounting bolt, but not what it mounts too. And I can't remove my grab rail easily now (long story) to look under the grab rail where the lever should mount.

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes, this what I mentioned already which focuses on installing a stock rear seat in a 2-piece seat design. I don't think a new seat rail is required for a 1-piece seat replacement. In either case, there is no detail I have found that explains how the seat opener mounts. Can you or anyone assist? I don't have a stock ST to refer to.

I have purchased a service manual which still does not show how and what the seat opener mounts too! Can anyone help me with this?

So, since no one has responded, no one in this entire forum knows how the seat opener mounts?

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Lol, biting won't endear a response. There are a lot of threads and posts... it is very easy for requests to simply not get read by the right person.
:)

I'm not in a spot to provide you pictures, but perhaps someone else will. In the mean time, have you looked at an online parts fiche? It will be illustrative.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
1st off, one-piece or two-piece seat should not make a different, you still need the rear rail as that's where a 1-pc seat would catch... As you already know, for a 2 pc seat, the rear holds the front one in place.

The Seat Release lever I believe is attached to the actual left-side grab rail, I couldn't find any pictures. Per Honda, you would probably have to by a non-P passenger grab rain or find a used one in order to get that lever installed.

I've never had the chance to look over a police bike so not sure what that grab rail looks like.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
ST1300 Grab Rail Parts Diagram.jpg

Key parts (excluding all the special fasteners) are as follows:
9- HOOK, SEAT CATCH 77220-KY6-010
8- CABLE, SEAT LOCK 77156-MCS-G00
16- OPENNER, SEAT 77330-MCS-G00
12- GRAB RAIL, RR. *NH295M* (SPARKLING SILVER METALLIC) 77310-MCS-770ZA

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
First off, sorry about my response, I'm frustrated about this. I have looked at Honda's exploded views, the grab rail being where the opener is shown, but not what the opener mounts to. The opener and cable are separated from the rest of the parts with no connecting lead lines from the opener bolt to where it would fasten to. And the owner's manual is no help either.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
That's typical with some parts on the fiche sites. You would think you could get any bolt, cable, etc. via the fiche but for some items, you have to get the entire assembly to get all the parts for that item. I looked through all my stuff and several member galleries and couldn't find anyone that ever took a picture of the underside of an uninstalled pass grab rail.

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
The seat catch is required for a 1 or 2-piece seat and is mounted to the center of the cross-piece of the grab rail. The difference with a 1-piece seat is that mounting does not depend on the hooks on the seat rail for the rear seat tabs to mount into. The tab at the front of the seat and the U-shaped fastener at the rear middle of the seat is all that is required for 1-piece mounting. This why a new seat rail is not required for a 1-piece seat. The seat rail is expensive and a lot of work to replace. The grab rail part number is identical between P and non-P bikes. It is not apparent that the seat opener lever mounts to the left-hand side of the grab rail. The single bolt for the seat opener lever is shown pointing down. It must bolt into something below the grab rail, which is not shown in the exploded diagram. This is where I need assistance. Do you or someone have a contact at Honda that could assist? Pictures from another member also did not help, Honda's manual does not help.

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
I appreciate your trying. I really think I may have to contact Honda. Do you have any contacts?

Top Bottom