Sacrilege! May buy a KTM 1190

GeneDavis

STOC 0184
Bike
2009 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
How many of us STers are ex-ST, now ride something else, but hang out here at the Forum for advice, assistance, and web-fellowship?

'Cause I just took a ride on a '13 KTM 1190 the local dealer has on the floor, a demo with about 1000 miles on the odo, and I think I may trade in my 96 ST on it.

My 96 ST only has 54K on the odo, and has been a great ride, rock steady on the slabways, and great in the sweepers, but I just have an itch for something new, and the technology on the KTM is impressive. ABS, something they call MTC or MTS to deal with slippage, lean technology that does something or other, and a dashboard that is nicely 21st century. Plus about 150 HP.

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
Sounds like a great ride. Been seeing a lot of reviews in the cycle rags about the KTM's. Have some friends (YOUNGER) that ride nothing but KTMs off road, and swear by them. Good luck in whatever you do.

OP
OP
GeneDavis

GeneDavis

STOC 0184
Bike
2009 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
I must be crazy. I'll be 70 this month, and here I'm thinking about an ADV bike.

I took two bikes for demo rides, the KTM and before it, at same dealership, a new Harley Ultra Classic Limited, this, after just getting back from a 6,175 m rideabout in WI, MN, SD, WY, MT, ID, WA, OR, CA, NV, UT, AZ, and back to IL. Last year, we lived in NY, and I ride down to TX to spend 10 lazy days touring the hill country.

In all this, the ST ran flawlessly.

But I've got a new-bike itch. The KTM is quite a bit lighter than the ST, with a lower center of gravity, and thus less tippy. The braking is impressive, and the safety aspects of the ABS package, and the other electronic ride and traction controls, are compelling for me.

Last edited:
Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
Nice bike! Very nice bike!!

I was considering an 1190 Adv/R. However the KTM dealer network around here is so thin I had to travel 3 hours to find a dealer that had one in stock. Negotiating a good deal would have been tough never mind the other things that come with a poor dealer network ... Which may be significant or nothing but I didn't really like the feeling that left me with.

I bought a Super Tenere instead so I guess I've become an ST owner once again. ;-)

Bike
2018 GL1800 DCT Tour
How many of us STers are ex-ST, now ride something else, but hang out here at the Forum for advice, assistance, and web-fellowship?
Switched to a Triumph Tiger 800XC a couple years ago. This is still my first go to forum every day. Great people. Good luck with whatever you do.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I test rode the new 1190 Adventure and the Superduke 1290 a few weeks ago. The Suoerduke is an unbelievable bike. If you want to feel light, takie one of those off the sidestand.
Just plain crazy fast and once you get the rpm's up over 8K it just feels like it gets really angry.

The 1190 was really nice also. I could definitely get used to one of those also. My buddy is a KTM rep and he likes the regular Adventure over the R. Lower, electronic suspension and the smaller front wheel handles better on the street.

rulbe

Site Supporter
Bike
Africa Twin AS
STOC #
Fred a friend of mine just bought one and looking forward to riding it! Will let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Lust-worthy ride! Good luck, and do share the pictures so that some of us can :drool1: over it! :D

Bike
2006 ST1300
The KTMs are awesome bikes! I used to have an itch for one until I gathered enough info to learn they are fairly high-strung and not the most reliable bikes. Good, by all means, but not as bulletproof as a Yamaha Super Tenere or V-strom. You'll be trading a bit of maintenance time and reliability for performance. But ignoring the practical aspects...the 1190 is such an awesome bike!

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Don't see anything wrong with sticking around after choosing to ride a non-ST model. I still have a Honda, but not an ST now.
At LOCSTOC I counted the bikes that hung out at the campground... There were no ST1100s and the ST1300s were outnumbered by a multitude of other makes/models. Many BMW, a HD, Honda Shadow, Honda CTX1300, a number of VStrom and GW models. Didn't see that situation detracting from the event at all. Maybe even added to it. Just like the variety of tents/campers on hand.

Bones

Your Humble Scribe
Bike
2014 BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I'd enjoy a KTM Adventure or Ducati Multistrada if they weren't so damned tall. They're both for sale at the dealer where I've bought my Hondas.

No sacrilege in moving to another brand...ride what you like.

Bug Dr.

Extroverted Loner
I havent owned a ST in two years and im still allowed to play in this sand box. I recently purchased a Tenere and couldnt be happier. I have a low seat that I cut the rear bumpers in half to level the seat. With that mod I sit lower than I did on my ST or my NC. Also, the low seat is firmer and more comfortable.

For some of us an adventure bike just makes sense. I like the fact I can go pretty much wherever I want without being confined to pavement.

Buy it.......you only live once.
Mike

Bike
2017 BMW R1200GSA
The KTM 1190 Adventure might be my next bike, too, but I'd like to see it with electronic cruise control and HID headlights first. Also, note the chain final drive which is a major difference compared to the other adventure bikes that are mostly shaft final drive. It will require some regular maintenance.

Top Bottom