Article [13] ST1300 - Part numbers for a genuine Honda oil & filter change

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
This is not a how to article.

It is a listing of current (2014) part numbers for a genuine Honda oil & filter change on the ST 1300.

Oil weight is 10W-40. WITHOUT MOLY!! API SG or higher. (API= American Petroleum Institute) API ratings alone are not the best choice these days for selecting your oil.

Honda uses the JASO (Japanese Automotive Standards Organization) ratings that are much more strict than the API ratings we used to use for selecting an oil.

Honda recommends JASO 4T (4T means four stroke) service classification MA. (MA= engine & gearbox in one unit. Fluid is non-friction modified "no moly")

The Honda service manual lists two oils that can be used in the ST1300 if using genuine Honda oil.

GN4 ( Basic petroleum stock, no moly) PN# 08C35-A141M01 (1 Quart) Been used & recommended from Honda since 1975.

HP4 ( Synthetic blend) PN# 08C35-A14WOM (1 Quart) Notice the "WOM at the end. That means without moly.

Here are a couple pictures of 1 Quart oil bottles. The one one the left is an older bottle from Honda. The one on the right is a new bottle (2014) from Honda. Little bit deceiving if you have some older bottles since the new bottle does not say "without moly" on the front

Notice the new bottle on the right does not have the words "without moly" on the front. It is the correct HP4 oil without moly The part number is the clue. 08C35-A14WOM (WOM means With Out Moly)

Here is the back of the two bottles. New (2014) bottle is on the right.

Now, we are going to get to genuine Honda oil filters. If you go to all the on-line parts stores, they will list about 2-3 genuine oil filters for the ST1300.

This has been and, is the latest part number for the genuine Honda oil filter for the ST1300. PN# 15410-MFJ-D01

Drain plug washer is PN# 94109-14000

If you really want everything, here is the oil filter wrench. Honda PN # 07AAA-PLCA100 (65 mm wrench)

Closing-

Genuine Honda parts for a genuine Honda oil & filter change, 2014.

Oil, HP4 synthetic blend. PN# 08C35-A14WOM You need 4 Quarts.
Filter. PN# 15410-MFJ-D01
Drain washer. PN# 94109-14000

Oil filter wrench. PN# 07AAA-PLCA100

This post is for Honda part numbers only for those that like to shop the web for their OEM parts.

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

dduelin

Tune my heart to sing Thy grace
Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
I don't know what you mean "The API ratings have gone the way of the dinosaur since the 1980's". The API still sets standards for oil to meet and while Europe and Japan may have similar standards they do not conflict. 10w40 meets API standards for allowable amounts of ingredients and for viscosity - 10w40 is an API standard as is 0w20 and all the other viscosity descriptions for gas and diesel engines. Current API formulation is SN.

http://www.api.org/certification-programs/engine-oil-diesel-exhaust-fluid/~/media/Files/Certification/Engine-Oil-Diesel/Publications/MOM_GUIDE_ENGLISH_2013.pdf

Honda changed the primary recommendation for the ST1300 in 2006 to 10w30.

I still use 10w40 in my 2005. The manual and SM for my model year list several acceptable viscosity oils.

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
That reminds me, I just turned 55K on the '04 today, so it's oil changing time....this weekend sometime...

K&N 204 oil filter and Chevron 400LE.

W0QNX

Blacksheep Tribal Member
Bike
06/ST1300 19/R1250RT
2024 Miles
Good news, thanks.

One problem. When I picked up my new bike and asked for the parts needed to do the first oil change myself to stay under warranty I was told I needed to buy 5 quarts of oil since the ST1300 holds 4.1 qts per Honda. HAHA

Raymond

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
API ratings have gone the way of the dinosaur since the 1980's
Interesting.... I guess you mean that the API rating for motorcycles has gone away. Because they are still highly regarded and used for standard internal combustion engines. S designated oils for spark type and C for compression ignition.

SN came out in 2010... seems like a little non-dinosaurish compared to mullets and parachute pants.

OP
OP
MileHigh

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
Interesting.... I guess you mean that the API rating for motorcycles has gone away. Because they are still highly regarded and used for standard internal combustion engines. S designated oils for spark type and C for compression ignition.

SN came out in 2010... seems like a little non-dinosaurish compared to mullets and parachute pants.
A better choice of words would be "If you are just using the API rating to select your oil, its not the best choice any more"

In days gone by, a person would select the correct weight and, the highest API rating they could purchase. That is not the case anymore and not the best way to select the correct oil for any vehicle.

These days, more & more, the vehicle manufacturer is setting the specifications and the oil companies have to meet those standards.

JASO, ILSAC, ACEA & ASTM are what a person should pay attention to these days. Motorcycle or cage.

I'll see if I can edit my post. It was more to provide the correct Honda part numbers for people that want to shop the web for their parts and what part number to get.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
What does one do if the manufacturer calls for oil by API service?

--Mark
I know what you are saying. Honda Motorcycles still uses API specs for formulation and viscocity and adds JASO MA for suitability for wet clutches - at least through 2013 models.

OP
OP
MileHigh

MileHigh

Juvenile delinquent
Bike
2006 ST
STOC #
What does one do if the manufacturer calls for oil by API service?

--Mark
Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Probably the only two left that would use API standards anymore are Ford & Chrysler. Or, MD/HD truck. And, they would go by what the engine manufacturer recommends.

GM already has its very own certification for oil. Dexos.

GM Powertrain came up with the requirements for the oil companies to meet. Valvoline & AmsOil have been playing games saying their API certified oils where sufficient. No, they are/where not. Only as recently a month or two ago did Valvoline finally step up to the pump to meet GM's Dexos requirements.

Even as I type this Ford is getting stricter on the engine oil they require.

Try running just an API certified oil in a diesel VW/Audi and asking for warranty repairs because your oil sludged engine ruined an injection pump and further ruined a $10K engine.

Same for BMW. They are even stricter.

Holy crud, this is starting to be an oil thread.

dduelin

Site Supporter
Bike
GL1800 R1200RT NC700
2024 Miles
STOC #
Go with what the manufacturer recommends. Probably the only two left that would use API standards anymore are Ford & Chrysler. Or, MD/HD truck. And, they would go by what the engine manufacturer recommends.

GM Powertrain came up with the requirements for the oil companies to meet. Valvoline & AmsOil have been playing games saying their API certified oils where sufficient. No, they are/where not. Only as recently a month or two ago did Valvoline finally step up to the pump to meet GM's Dexos requirements.

Try running just an API certified oil in a diesel VW/Audi and asking for warranty repairs because your oil sludged engine ruined an injection pump and further ruined a $10K engine.

I thought the subject of this thread was the Honda ST1300.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I know what you are saying. Honda Motorcycles still uses API specs for formulation and viscocity and adds JASO MA for suitability for wet clutches - at least through 2013 models.
JASO MA and MB are supersets of the API, ILSAC and ACEA standards that are tighter on a small number of things. ILSAC works the same way: GF-4 is API SM, one of the ASTM tests and a few additional things. It isn't hard for the manufacturers to brew up oil that covers the worst case.

I wouldn't, any more than I'd lube my splines with Crisco. The fact that VW and GM can't produce non-exotic engines that run on easy-to-identify, easy-to-find oil in the markets where they're sold tells me they're lousy at engineering or have some other motive. As the regular, off-the-shelf oils start meeting whatever GM wants for Dexos, an extra $0.36 in royalties comes out of my pocket and goes into GM's for every gallon I buy whether or not I put in a GM product.

--Mark

If you want a genuine Honda oil filter and the crush washer, you might be able to save yourself a few dollars and visit you local Honda car dealer. They are the same size and are cheaper then the Honda bike dealers price.

Bike
ST1300A

Yes, it does, as you incorrectly mentioned that the JASO MA rating is required for vehicles with combined engine/gearbox units. There is no problem with using friction modified oil in combined units, so long as the clutch isn't running in it, too.

JASO MA ratings were introduced specifically for wet clutches operating in the engine oil.

JASO MA and MB are supersets of the API, ILSAC and ACEA standards that are tighter on a small number of things. ILSAC works the same way: GF-4 is API SM, one of the ASTM tests and a few additional things. It isn't hard for the manufacturers to brew up oil that covers the worst case.

I wouldn't, any more than I'd lube my splines with Crisco. The fact that VW and GM can't produce non-exotic engines that run on easy-to-identify, easy-to-find oil in the markets where they're sold tells me they're lousy at engineering or have some other motive. As the regular, off-the-shelf oils start meeting whatever GM wants for Dexos, an extra $0.36 in royalties comes out of my pocket and goes into GM's for every gallon I buy whether or not I put in a GM product.

--Mark
Where do you find it written that "JASO MA and MB are supersets of the API, ILSAC and ACEA standards"?

I believe that JASO MA (which includes MA1 and MA2) ratings are only for the friction of wet clutches.
As far as I'm aware, API, ILSAC and ACEA ratings are independent of the JASO MA ratings.

JASO Engine Oil Standards Implementation Panel (jalos.or.jp)

A Guide To API Ratings For Motor Oil | PurePower Blog (gopurepower.com)

Top Bottom