False neutral on the 4-5 shift

I have an '03 ST1300 which I've only owned for a few weeks. After I bought it, since I didn't have any service records, I took it to a experienced Honda dealer and had them change the fork seals and bushings and fork oil, change the engine oil to Honda synthetic oil, had the brakes and clutch bled and replaced, had the rear gear oil bled and replaced. had the coolant flushed and replaced, and had the valves adjusted. Even before the full service, and since the service, I occasionally hit a false neutral on the 4-5 shift and a very few times on the 3-4 shift, but that's rare. I've wondered if an occasional false neutral on the 4-5 shift is a known issue, or if I may have some kind of gear problem. Anyone with any information regarding this would by very much appreciated. I intend to keep this bike (I've had over 20 in the last 40-plus years), and I don't want to possibly shorten the life of my transmission.

By the way, I've had multiple bikes from all of the big four Japanese makers, as well as 3 Harleys and a Triumph. I find the ST1300 to be a very enjoyable bike to ride, I find the power and very smooth torque curve very satisfying, and the only problem that I feel a real need to fix is a better seat, as mine is much too hard for any long rides.

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I've hit the false neutral between 4-5 on occasion. Usually happens if I'm wearing a tennis shoe (or equivalent) and get lazy when flicking my foot up. I doubt that you have any problem and simply suggest riding it more...

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Put some oomph into your shifting. The gear lever requires a solid, decisive throw when upshifting. Downshifting isn't usually a problem since you have more weight behind it. Also make sure you're not short shifting, as it's much easier to get a bad shift into the higher gears at low RPM.

The transmission on this bike tends to shift better if the lever is preloaded at the beginning of the shift, so you might try that as well.

--Mark

Bike
2006 ST 1300
After I bought my bike I did some research on this site and found that the previous owner had the same problem and posted a question about the same issue as you. I had yet to experience the false neutral at this point so I tried to duplicate it.

Finally after playing around with the bike I could get it to go into that neutral spot if I did a few things. First was a very light up shift and then hard on the throttle would throw the gear out of 5th and back to neutral. So I started to preload the shifter on every shift and haven't had the problem since.

Another thing to look at is the shifter linkage. Make sure it's not binding and it's adjusted to your foot. I have peg lowers on and am in the lowest possible position before the shift peg hits the frame. I learned to scoot my for forward more and actually shift with the first joint of my big toe rather than the end of the toes. If I was wearing steel toe boots I'm sure I could shift with the end of the shoe but I like the boots I have now so I'm not going to be changing anytime soon.

Like you, I like everything about the bike except for the seat. I've tried several different fixes with no permanent results. If you ask on the forum, 99 percent will tell you to same your money up and get either a Russell Day Long or a Laam seat. As it is right now, I'm starting a special fund so I can purchase my Laam seat.

Brian

OP
OP
Interesting - what's involved with bleeding the gear oil?

Check your service manual. You simply ride the bike until the rear gear oil is heated up, then drain it out and replace it with new gear oil.

That's because of a light up-shift.

What the mileage on the bike?
52,000 plus

OP
OP
Thanks to all for the replies. I'm sure that you're all correct in that I'm not shifting firmly enough, as the problem is not happening very often now that I've put about 500 miles on the bike. I bought a set of the foot peg lowering brackets, but now I'm unsure whether I want to install them in case it makes it harder to shift.

Byron

STOC #
I'd check to see if the linkage was clean and free of any debris that could hinder its' movement. After that it's just a matter of a little more effort when shifting to make it all the way into gear. The bike is so smooth that we sometimes start to take it for granted and relax too much. A little agression is good from time to time. :)

OP
OP
I'd check to see if the linkage was clean and free of any debris that could hinder its' movement. After that it's just a matter of a little more effort when shifting to make it all the way into gear. The bike is so smooth that we sometimes start to take it for granted and relax too much. A little agression is good from time to time. :)
I've really got to agree with you there. I had a Concours, and in my opinion, this ST13 is noticably smoother. It's so smooth and the torque curve is so flat that it can be very deceptive. I've often glanced down and found that I was going about 25 MPH faster than I thought. I've had well over 20 bikes (including multiples from all of the big 4 Japanese makers, and 3 Harleys and a Triumph) in my 40-plus years of riding. Of course as I've aged, I've slowed my riding style a bit, but I love the torque of this V-four. I had every service possible done to this bike because I plan to keep this one indefinitely, and it came with no service records. I'm torn between buying a Day Long or a Laam seat. I don't particularly want to spend the extra cash on the Day Long, but I wish I knew someone who had experience with the Laam. That stock seat is a brick, and I have to get something with more comfort as I'm no kid anymore. Does anyone out there know, subjectively of course, if the Day Long is worth almost twice the price of the Laam?

Bike
ST1300A
STOC #
[QUOTE;1769513]As for seats I have a Sargent seat and it suit my butt just fine, but the lamm seat is regarded as the best you can get...Someday.... Enjoy the ride...[/QUOTE]

Interesting. I have a Sargent seat which I really don't like. I tried a friends V-STROM which has a Sargent, and that is nice and comfy compared to mine. When he sat on the ST with the Sargent on it, he agreed that teh ST was way harder. Did it break in to mould to your shape? I am actually tempted to send it to Sargent to let them look at it as I cannot ride with it (I use the stock instead).

Last edited:
Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I've hit the false neutral between 4-5 on occasion. Usually happens if I'm wearing a tennis shoe (or equivalent) and get lazy when flicking my foot up. I doubt that you have any problem and simply suggest riding it more...
Yep. Me too, if I get lazy sometimes it'll hang up between 4th and 5th.

Bike
'07 ST1300
Interesting. I have a Sargent seat which I really don't like. I tried a friends V-STROM which has a Sargent, and that is nice and comfy compared to mine. When he sat on the ST with the Sargent on it, he agreed that teh ST was way harder. Did it break in to mould to your shape? I am actually tempted to send it to Sargent to let them look at it as I cannot ride with it (I use the stock instead).
The Sargent does take some miles to break in. I have a Sargent on both my ST and My V-strom. With an Alaska Leather sheepskin on each there is virtually no difference in comfort.

Top Bottom