Light weight pants for summer

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Riding in summer ATGATT can get a little warm. Looking around for something a little lighter and cooler to wear under the mesh pants has netted me a couple of options. Many here may wear light weight hiking shorts which I may start wearing, but there are some light weight alternatives in long pants. Under Armor makes a "tactical duty" pant that are 65/35 cotton/polyester that is moisture resistant. Water beads up/rolls off in the rain. The pants have many pockets and the cargo pockets have dividers and can hold up to 4 AR-15 clips. Under those pockets, on the right and left sides are concealed pockets one could care a mid sized semi-auto pistol without it printing. The pants have an flexible waist just right for those RTE situations.;) They are a bit pricey... about $75 a pair, but if they work out, it will be worth it.
Another choice are the 511 tactical series pants many LEO's wear. They have a variety of pockets which I like better, they are easier to access, and even have a technology pocket just right for that cell phone. Made of the same material as the Under Armor, but priced much less at about $40. The 511's do not have a concealed pocket for that firearm...

I have not been on any extended rides with these pants yet... My main concern is whether they will trap moisture inside since they shed it easily on the outside. Two week trip coming up... will keep you posted.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I know this is not truly 'pants' but in summer long rides, I've been wearing a base layer compression pants (bicycling tights) that helps wick moisture from the skin up to the surface of this layer, and lets it evaporate rather quickly.

Combined with a good air-flow-capable riding pant, it can keep you really cool! It feels really comfy, and no sweat buildup/etc. I got a 2 of these from Amazon, at a really great price $18 each - Not bad for a trial test!!

--> http://www.amazon.com/COOVY-Sports-Leggings-Tights-All-season/dp/B00KK3E77O/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1404397340&sr=8-2&keywords=coovy+compression+men

Maybe this will be an easy solution, if the pockets arent required! :D

Regards,
Vishnu

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I wear the wicking underwear with my mesh pants. The bottom half of the leg zippers off for walking around comfort. When I wear the Darien pants, I wear flannel pajama pants (thanks Phil) and layer up from there according to the temperature.

I hate when it gets sweaty down there, so my recommendation guys, is definitely get some athletic bottom wear. It helps take away the sweat just like Ron mentioned. It's the best option when you want to keep the air flow going.. I like the casual look so I try to stick to the kevlar jeans... it definitely isn't the lightest option but it offers decent protection. These pants are pricey but definitely worth it in the casual sector.. http://www.motorcyclehouse.com/resist-tech-denim-pants-43317-prd1.htm

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Nothing better at wicking moiosture than LDComfort shorts or long pants combined with the long sleeve undershirt. You simply wet the shirt and wring it out a bit put it on and ride it feels like air conditioning when it dries just repeat the process I can stay cool in my KLIM jacke to 85+ degrees easy. The pants wick very well I dont wet them although when wearing the long pants I can wet the legs and get the same cooling effect.

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
Ex Officio under garments teamed with thin, high quality running shorts are the best I have found for this.
Super +1 for Ex Officio ! :) could be the last set of garments you need, for a decade of adventure & light traveling!

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
The Ex Officio stuff looks nice but is also expensive and they seem to have a lot of seams all around the vital sitting area.

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
The Ex Officio stuff looks nice but is also expensive and they seem to have a lot of seams all around the vital sitting area.
MCN did a comparison years ago and these came out on top. The seams are so thin you do not notice them. They are the most comfortable underwear out there and they last forever. They also wick moisture very well. I took two pair on a week long MC trip in the Pyreneees. It takes less than four hours for them to dry out after washing.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
MCN did a comparison years ago and these came out on top. The seams are so thin you do not notice them. They are the most comfortable underwear out there and they last forever. They also wick moisture very well. I took two pair on a week long MC trip in the Pyreneees. It takes less than four hours for them to dry out after washing.
They sound good but what I like about the LD stuff is it is 2 layers the inner wicks moisture away the outer will hold it to cool you. When you wet the shirt and put it on your skin stays dry but the outer layer holds the moisture which cools you as you ride. But I may have to try the Ex Officio just to see how it is.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Seems the thread has morphed into discussion of undergarments... and I may have not been clear at the beginning I was discussing outerwear. I know most wear protective M / C protective wear as outer garments, so do I "most" of the time. This may come as a shocker to the "ATGATT" folks, but occasionally I do go "gasp" (unprotected)! Mainly I was looking for lightweight long outerwear pants to wear underneath the mesh pants during the summer. I do wear wicking undershorts and have solved that issue.
The pants I was checking out and have decided I really like on this trip is the Under Armor "Tactical Duty" pants. They are light weight, breath well, water resistant (the water does just bead and roll off). A true example: Bev and I stopped at a "Fridays" for lunch a couple of days ago, I had the pants on, we were seated at a booth that the cushions had seen there better days and the table seemed to come up to my chin. The server brought our drinks over, mine filled to the rim of the glass. Went to take a sip and could not escape spilling some of it in my lap! I stood up, gave a light shake and the soda fell to the floor, pants not even wet, no soda color, no nothing! OK, so now you know I'm a klutz....
Went through a lot of rain the next day, the pants got a little wet because of the constant exposure. After a while the moisture does begin to penetrate and they do get damp. The best part, they dry super fast in the wind!
The pants have numerous pockets, but the best for you concealed carry folks... it has those hidden pockets behind the visible cargo pockets one could hide a medium sized semi-auto very nicely! They are very comfortable, even under the outer mesh protective wear.
Bottom line, I think it was money well spent.
The other pair of outerwear "tactical duty" pants are the 511's for a much cheaper price. Same material, so there's not much else to discuss except the pocket arrangement. No hidden pockets in these pants, but they are a little more logical than the Under Armor in my humble opinion. Haven't spilled my lunch on them yet, but they seem to preform as well.
Hope this helps someone.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 ST1300A
Vinny, I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering if you could update your thoughts on the synthetic, hydrophobic material under the overpants. I just bought some Darien pants and I'm wondering how they will do in the heat and humidity, whether wicking synthetic or moisture-retaining cotton is better in between the Dariens and my Ex-Officio undergarment. I've read what Aerostich has to say, but I'm more interested in a review from personal experience.

OP
OP
vinny
Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
Vinny, I realize this is an old post, but I was wondering if you could update your thoughts on the synthetic, hydrophobic material under the overpants. I just bought some Darien pants and I'm wondering how they will do in the heat and humidity, whether wicking synthetic or moisture-retaining cotton is better in between the Dariens and my Ex-Officio undergarment. I've read what Aerostich has to say, but I'm more interested in a review from personal experience.
To be honest with you, I hardly ever wear cotton undergarments when riding. The have a propensity to ride up and bunch up, pull in vital areas. I have been wearing under Armour garments and under garments almost exclusively. They have doubled in price since I have started buying them, so I have begun looking for other brands made of the same material. Most of the sporting goods brands have similar garments and most all of them work well. I just look for the style I prefer. I have been on many long rides with moisture wicking under garments, and I will never go back.

amorley

Site Supporter
Bike
2015 BMW K1600GTS
2024 Miles
SPOT
LINK
+1 on Ex-Officio boxer shorts. I even prefer them to the LD Comfort briefs. I then wear light weight REI guide pants and a CoolMax shirt. Aerostich Roadcrafter Light goes over the top of everything.

Bike
2008 ST1300
STOC #
When I'm on a "dedicated" ride (not off bike for long), I too like UA compression pants. Wicking and super comfy. Won't take off the riding pants in public though... For hot days where other activities mean the mesh will come off, the baggier UA sweats are preferred.

Reginald

cyclepoke
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Just wear moisture wicking underwear. You've got riding pants on. A lot cooler in hot weather.

Otherwise go to Walmart :D

Top Bottom