Broken Starter Valve #1

YR

Bike
ST1300A
The bike does not hold lower idle RPM when cold and I removed the fuel tank and air box to see what is going on. I found the starter value of cylinder #1 broken -- see pics. Anyone saw something like that before? Suggestions? (beyond now fix it :))

BT03.jpgBT04.jpg).

Many thanks, Yoed

Last edited:

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Not only haven't ever heard or seen this problem, I wouldn't know that it was wrong when I looked at it!

How do you fix it? Do you just snug it up like the others?

OP
OP

YR

Bike
ST1300A
Unfortunately no, it is broken and what you see is the spring.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Why does the 'nut area' look different on that one? It doesn't look like a nut at all...

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Why does the 'nut area' look different on that one? It doesn't look like a nut at all...
That's just the way that 1st one looks, here are a couple other pics from the articles section:

OP
OP

YR

Bike
ST1300A
Mellow,

Please take a look again Starter Valve #1 in my picture. You can actually see the spring, which pushed the head away towards the wax assembly link.

Yoed

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
Mellow,

Please take a look again Starter Valve #1 in my picture. You can actually see the spring, which pushed the head away towards the wax assembly link.

Yoed
Joe was telling me that the nut area looks normal... Not that you don't have an issue...

OP
OP

YR

Bike
ST1300A
Looks like you need to order: [h=1]16046-MCW-003 VALVE SET A, STARTER[/h]
I assume that the set will include the correct #1 valve. Luckly, it is not an expensive fix at $22.37.
Actually, this is the only one which cannot be adjusted. You cannot buy it. It is painted wight on its head and it is factory adjusted to the Throttle Body. The three other valves are adjusted to it.

Byron

STOC #
Joe was telling me that the nut area looks normal... Not that you don't have an issue...
There is no adjustment nut on the #1 cylinder as it is used as the baseline for adjusting all the other valves. It appears that the plastic part that holds it to the throttlebody has broken at the thread, leaving the threads inside the throttlebody. It should be a simple matter of removing the old part, use something to help unscrew the broken threads from the throttlebody, and replace with new #1 valve.

Paul

Happy Saturday!
Site Supporter
Bike
08 ST13 05 VStrom 1K
STOC #
#1 starter valve is the "master" and non adjustable. The other valves are synched to this one.

Byron

STOC #
Actually, this is the only one which cannot be adjusted. You cannot buy it. It is painted wight on its head and it is factory adjusted to the Throttle Body. The three other valves are adjusted to it.
My assumption is that because it said "SET" that it included all 4 valves. If it does not include the #1 valve then I would check with the local dealer and see what they do to repair. The only difference is that the adjustment nut has been set on the shaft so it can't be adjusted. Makes no sense that you would have to buy a whole new throttlebody assembly just to replace this one valve.

Kevin_56

Site Supporter
Bike
20 R1250RT
STOC #
Makes no sense that you would have to buy a whole new throttlebody assembly just to replace this one valve.
First challenge will be to get the broken thread section out of the throttle body. Why could one not replace it with an adjustable one and just double nut it to remind you not to move it. I am assuming that except for the nonadjustability it is the same as the other three in design.

OP
OP

YR

Bike
ST1300A
First challenge will be to get the broken thread section out of the throttle body. Why could one not replace it with an adjustable one and just double nut it to remind you not to move it. I am assuming that except for the nonadjustability it is the same as the other three in design.
It would not be a big deal to take it out. It is a plastic thread and I can get reasonable access. I believe that this one is "calibrated" with the throttle body by Honda, and it is the reference for valve synchronization.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
I would bet that it's not really 'calibrated' by Honda.. it's simply a set part that is the same length on all bikes and the other 3 nuts are used to adjust to that... but nothing special about the #1, it's just non-movable.

Top Bottom