Air Deflectors - My Solution For No More Hot Legs

This is my first summer as an ST1300 owner, so once the temps went up, the heat around my lower legs I enjoyed so much all winter quickly became quite uncomfortable. I looked for some air wings similar to what I had on my Goldwing, and was surprised that there are none on the market for the ST. So, this is my solution...

I gathered some RAM parts, including four 1" bases, and a couple short arms. Then I stopped at my local Lowe's hardware store to grab a small piece of Lexan (I think it was 8"x10") for under $5.

I cut two 4" x 8" pieces from the Lexan sheet, bent them as desired (Lexan can be bent cold), rounded the corners on my bench grinder, and drilled a couple holes in each for the RAM bases. Then I mounted everything to my ST as shown. The clear deflectors make them fairly unnoticeable, and if I don't want them on, they can be removed in seconds. With the infinitely adjustable RAM mounts, I can deflect the air however I like depending on the conditions, and as planned, they very effectively deflect fresh air right down the front of my legs, eliminating the undesired heat buildup. It is so much nicer riding in hot weather now!!!

Attachments

Last edited:

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Very nice. Professional looking!

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

OP
OP
OP
OP
That looks really great. Is that the location that works the best for you?
I actually determined where to mount them by riding around, cupping my hand in various places/orientations to find how to get fresh air directed down onto my legs. Once installed, I spent half a day riding around trying different adjustments (further in/out, different tilt angles, etc) and as pictured, it works great for me. Legs have constant supply of fresh cool air blowing on them now. HUGE difference.

Bike
'06 ST1300
STOC #
" was surprised that there are none on the market for the ST. " Not so, I have a pair of Baker Air Wings on mine.

Zonker

Matt Christian
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Great Job, and photos, heck even I should be able to do this one! I like to think of myself as more of a DIY kinda guy, even though it makes others laugh.
Two Thumbs Up!

Last edited:
Bike
2007 ST1300
Fantastic idea! I just picked up an '07 a little over a week ago. I quickly realized on the hour long ride home that something needed to be done about the heat. This looks like the solution for me and a lot cheaper and better looking than the Air Wings, IMHO. Thanks WillRide!!

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
That looks really great. Is that the location that works the best for you? I find my ST unbearable to ride in anything warmer than high 70sF. I usually just park it for the summer and ride my sport bike. I call the ST my winter bike.
I have heard this a time or two over the years. The only time I have been hot is when I'm stuck in traffic on a hot day.
55 thousand miles riding in 30-105 degrees.
Dave

Top Bottom