Stalling at Speed

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Did some more basic visual checks today. No stamp under that first letter of my frame VIN, so perhaps the ground cap recall wasn't performed. Based on my last failures, where the entire dash display went out even though the ignition was still in and on and I was still rolling, this is starting to feel like something a little more than just clogged vacuum hoses. So, I'm going to run the bike by my local reputable Honda dealer and let them run some diagnostics. And I'll go from there. Thanks again for everyone's help and advice!

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Just to update you all on the outcome... Turned out to be a faulty ignition switch. $128 to replace.

Funny thing is I just had two duplicate keys made (because I only got one original key when I bought it). A local locksmith cut some blanks that I purchased online. They were the correct blanks, but neither of the new duplicates worked in the ignition, but they opened the saddlebags. I only tried them in the ignition a couple of times and I didn't force anything, but I did wiggle them around gently.

Did I mess the ignition up or do you think that's just one of those strange coincidences? Haven't gone back to the locksmith yet...

Anyway, picking it back up tomorrow. Got it serviced (spark plugs, oil, check all fluids), headlights aimed correctly, had them install a Signal Dynamics brake modulator, and the ignition repair. All for $382 plus $128 for the ignition part. Seems reasonable to me...

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Funny thing is I just had two duplicate keys made (because I only got one original key when I bought it). A local locksmith cut some blanks that I purchased online. They were the correct blanks, but neither of the new duplicates worked in the ignition, but they opened the saddlebags.
Same thing happened to me.
It's how they register the key to cut the blank. They can go from the tip or the shoulder.

Just take it back and show the locksmith, should cut you two new ones.

PS... If you can, save the old (semi-working) keys and use them for the short-key farkle.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Okay, now I have to see if mine ever had the recall done on it.
a punch mark under the first letter of the VIN?
Haven't had any issues with it to this point but something to keep in mind. Will they still do the recall if it hasn't been done?

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Okay, now I have to see if mine ever had the recall done on it.
a punch mark under the first letter of the VIN?
Call a Honda dealer and ask them to look it up. Not all dealers put the punch mark on the VIN plate.

--Mark

OP
OP
Old Ninja
Another update...

The ignition switch part was back ordered from Japan until 7/23. The Honda dealer locater system also showed that no one has it in their computer inventory. Then the release date was pushed to 8/10. It could easily get pushed another two weeks and another two weeks and another two weeks...

So, they said they moved my bike into their warehouse and put it on a tender while we wait. I know there are third party ignition switches available and used, too, but I think I want an original Honda replacement part for the ignition switch.

Anyone have a new one laying around?

:)

OP
OP
Old Ninja
So, latest and last update...

Took awhile, but the new ignition finally came in. And while I only have their word to take for it, it's apparently a "retooled" part. Does it look different? It certainly feels different and more solid than a few ignition switches on some STs I've seen. I test drove several STs before I bought mine and they all seemed to have a flakey-loosey feeling ignition, mine included. This one feels a lot better!

ST1300 NEW Ignition.jpg

OP
OP
Old Ninja
So, like I mentioned, finally got my ST1300 back after installing a new ignition switch. I took it on it's first extended ride today and the first thing I noticed is that my temp gauge shot right up to three bars and stayed there all day. Usually it starts with one bar, bounces up to two bars and occasionally goes to three bars, but usually comes back down to two bars. I wouldn't have noticed anything except staying at three bars all day is not typical in my experience with my bike. The fan is kicking in seemingly normally, but the three bars stay. This is new behavior just since I got it back. But you know how that goes...

Anyway, is running at three bars on the temp gauge all day normal for anyone else? BTW, outside temp when I started was 68 and rose to 90 by the time I got home. That's why I noticed it right away this morning because it was cool out.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Anyway, is running at three bars on the temp gauge all day normal for anyone else? BTW, outside temp when I started was 68 and rose to 90 by the time I got home. That's why I noticed it right away this morning because it was cool out.
That's normal for every ST on the planet with a working thermostat.

--Mark

Top Bottom