Clutch Slipping Issue

Hello all from Oz.

I am hoping someone here can help me with a clutch issue I am having.

I had to replace the clutch slave cylinder and overhaul the master at 36000 Km (22,500 miles) which appeared to go ok, but on my first ride I noticed the clutch disengaged almost as soon as I pulled the lever. As my ride progressed I noticed the clutch was slipping under load.

At first it was only in top gear but it appeared to get worse and by the time I got home it was happening in lower gears.

The clutch seemed to bleed ok. I cracked the bleed nipple when I got home and there appeared to be no residual pressure which would disengage the clutch. There were no air bubbles in the hose.

I didn't remove the engine as per the manual and didn't change the crankcase push rod seal. The push rod itself came out a bit when I removed the original slave cylinder and I am wondering if it is possible that it didn't go back to it's original position.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Bike
2018 NC750X
STOC #
The position of the push rod would be the first thing to check and make sure it is seated properly, then make sure the return pressure orifice in the clutch master cylinder is not clogged. If the return orifice is clogged, it will continue to build pressure and cause similar symptoms you described. Remove the deflector spoon at the bottom of the master cylinder, while holding a rag near the top of the clutch master reservoir, engage the clutch lever then release it. If fluid does not spit out the orifice onto the rag, then the orifice is clogged. Unclog with a small diameter wire and repeat the test until a healthy little stream of fluid spews out when releasing the lever.

OP
OP
Thanks Mate,

I think you are onto something. I am going to look at the master cylinder first. The symptoms did get worse over time which would indicate a gradual build up in pressure as I used the clutch. I will let you know how I go.

Do you have an update for this as I have exactly the same problem after a slave cylinder change, the clutch seemed to get so bad it wouldn't engage at all (slipping to the point of no bite getting worse as the engine warms)

Scooter

This space for rent...
Bike
2019 BMW R1250RT
STOC #
I would suggest sending him an email or PM since he hasn't been on the site since July 11th...

Top Bottom