Electrical Issue...

Bike
1995 ST1100
I'm riding about 105 down I5 (behind a VW GTI going MUCH faster, so I'm slip-streaming). All of the sudden, the bike loses power and dies. I think gas. Call roadside assistance. Bike is up and running an hour later. I get 15 miles further down, the bike again loses power, but this time there's gas, so it's something else. It turns out that the battery is suddenly dead. I get a new one and even after replacing it, the bike has now power and won't turn over.
I'm thinking alternator...any other opinions?

The bike is a 1995 ST1100 with ~26400.

Bike
2005 st 1300
STOC #
I would start with fuse block and see if anything looks fried. Sounds like heat builds up and is causing something to fail if u have replaced battery and still no power to bike then it could be a fuse or ground that has failed.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
I did check the fuses to no avail, but I'm actually guessing ground myself. I'm going to let Bill's Motorcycles Plus check it out tomorrow if no one has a bit of lightning in between.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
I've had the side stand droop down enough to kill the bike while riding. Check that the stand is pulled up tight when retracted.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Got a service manual? If so, use the troubleshooting section(s).

But if you have lights, but no click sound when hitting the starter button, the main suspect would have to be the starter relay. Pull and inspect the red 4P on it.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
Yeah...no lights...no indication of any electrical, which is why I'm trending to a ground issue. I'm most psyched that Bill's open tomorrow! Nothing like being stranded in a good place with a good shop nearby.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
May be silly, but check the connections at the battery terminals. I had goofy stuff happen and it was a loose connection on the battery.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

Last edited:

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Aha!

Check the red wire at the 4P on the starter-relay/main-fuse unit. I'll bet it has melted the plastic connector.

PICT2734C.JPG

Let me know what I've won...? :)

You do know that the bike's 30amp main fuse is located under this red 4P connector, right?

John

Last edited:

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Also, check the wires going into the VRR. They corrode, get hot, and melt inside that connector.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Aha!

Check the red wire at the 4P on the starter-relay/main-fuse unit. I'll bet it has melted the plastic connector.

PICT2734C.JPG

Let me know what I've won...? :)

You do know that the bike's 30amp main fuse is located under this red 4P connector, right?

John
A big +1 to John's reply. Even if this isn't your problem, you may want to do the "Red Wire Bypass" mod.

This should be an easy problem to troubleshoot since it's not an "intermittent" , if you have a meter and wiring diagram.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
It's at Bill's in Salem and he thinks it was the main fuse. He's going to check it and see if something other than age triggered it...fingers crossed...

OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
The verdict is in! Corrosion around the fuse box (which I did note when checking fuses yesterday and wondered) caused the main fuse to blow. After eliminating the corrosion and replacing the main fuse, testing the electrical system to ensure that was the only cause, and taking a test ride, the bike is ready. Oh, and for those in Oregon who've heard about Bill's Motorcycles Plus in Salem, it's everything you've heard. Bill not only met me and talked to me BEFORE the business was open, but after all is said and done, the total bill is just under $50! My nearby stealers in Portland would've been at least double that!

I can't wait to ride home, via the Oregon Coast as a reward for such a good bit of news. :)

Thanks to everyone who helped out!

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
At least you now know where the main fuse is located. [total electrical failure = check main fuse]

I hope he showed you where the corrosion was that he "eliminated" and exactly how he did that. You may very well be called upon to do that yourself some time in the future, in order to get home (or out of a dangerous situation). Just say'n...

Enjoy the reST of your trip.

Regards, John

OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
Thanks, John! However, it came back last night, within 2 miles of the first failure. I think it's the alternator and only manifests in high heat (both failures occurred in 90+ degree heat). Bill indicated that he THOUGHT his tech had checked the alternator yesterday, but in yet another action that makes Bill excellent, when he saw the bike coming off the trailer this morning, he sighed and said he'd make sure they knew for sure. He also said that a failing alternator could take out the main fuse...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Um... er... a failing alt would cause a discharged battery and 'kill' the bike that way, but shouldn't blow the main fuse. You need a better explaination from the mechanic. IMNSHO, it's not the alt itself.

John

OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
The newest is that the rectifier is only marginally working, meaning that it can't put out more than 11.8v but still gets as hot as expected. It would make sense that if the rectifier has lost a leg and it was a crazy hot day (for Oregon) that the hottest couple of days so far this year would push it over the edge. That's a relatively inexpensive thing to go. I'll know next week as they have to order the part.

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
Maybe. But what blew the main fuse? How'd he explain that? IMHO, look elsewhere for the cause of that. Please keep us posted. TIA

Jobn

Last edited:
Top Bottom