Electrical Issue...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Maybe. But what blew the main fuse? How'd he explain that? IMHO, look elsewhere for the cause of that. Please keep us posted. TIA

Jobn
Yeah, the alternator sits in a hot engine, it can't tell if its 90F or whatever, so I'm a bit of a skeptic along with John on this one. The idea of hot weather making a marginal alternator fail seems like a longshot to me. Also, my limited experience with m/c mechanics indicates that they guess a lot with electrical issues. Failing alternators don't blow fuses, they draw down batteries to the point where you eventually can't start the bike.

OP
OP
Bike
1995 ST1100
Not a bad alternator...a bad rectifier and if the rectifier overloaded right before it failed, I can imagine it taking the main fuse.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
Not a bad alternator...a bad rectifier and if the rectifier overloaded right before it failed, I can imagine it taking the main fuse.
I've never had a rectifier go bad in any vehicle I've owned, so maybe it's possible they can create a dead short before failing. But I'd expect that would only happen once, not multiple times. Electrical problems can be frustrating, hope this fixes your problem.

JPrieST

Don't squat with your spurs on
Bike
2014 FJR1300ES
STOC #
Yeah, while waiting for parts I would take the picture John posted in post # 10 and show it to them and have them check again. This is a well known and well documented problem that may not be as obvious as the one pictured. I'm going in the skeptic column as well.

Why do people not update with a resolution of their problems... even if they've scrapped the bike or sold it on?????

I've just wasted my time reading through 3 pages of posts only to be left hanging. NOT very pleased!:mad:

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Why do people not update with a resolution of their problems... even if they've scrapped the bike or sold it on????? :mad:
Maybe he shot the dealer owner & mechanic and he doesn't have access to a computer in Jail ??

But ya, I'd like to know how his problem was resolved, too !!

Last edited:

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
I'm with John Joel and Jim. At a minimum, check the red wire. 10 minutes and $10 and it is done. And it is so easy, just about anyone can to do.

Bike
92 ST1100
Out of sight, out of mind cruddy plug-ins, lead to an eventual melted plug-in. Regulator and plug-in come to mind.....have seen BOTH melted cause of lack of maintenance.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
...have seen BOTH melted cause of lack of maintenance.
Back in the 90ies I managed to smoke up the entire harness of my prev '92 due overzealous cleaning...
Removed all fairing, cleaned them in- and outside, then washed the "naked" ST...

About a week later I ran home on battery power only one night, bike dying at me like 1 mile from home...
The washing (respectively the used detergent wasn't gentle on the brass-crimps there, white crystals and that...) lead to corrosion thus meltdown of the stator connector (3 yellow wires), from where it ate itself throughout all the wiring between there, the VRR and the starter relay... total meltdown, what a mess...
Ordered and installed a new, genuine ST1100 harness and VRR...

John OoSTerhuis

Life Is Good!
Bike
1991 SSMST1100
STOC #
The problem was two months ago, but nukadog visited this site three days ago. I guess if he doesn't' chime with a decent followup soon, one could PM him.

John

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Back in the 90ies I managed to smoke up the entire harness of my prev '92 due overzealous cleaning...
Removed all fairing, cleaned them in- and outside, then washed the "naked" ST...

About a week later I ran home on battery power only one night, bike dying at me like 1 mile from home...
The washing (respectively the used detergent wasn't gentle on the brass-crimps there, white crystals and that...) lead to corrosion thus meltdown of the stator connector (3 yellow wires), from where it ate itself throughout all the wiring between there, the VRR and .
This connector is a common problem on other models too, like the early Gold Wings with VRR's. Some guys eliminate the connector and just solder the wires and add shrink wrap.

I recently purchased a '83 GL1100I. It was charging fine, but when I checked the stator connector, it was melted and I was surprised it was charging at all. I installed a CBR1100 FET series type VRR and eliminated the connector by soldering the wires instead.

'83 GL1100I

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
This connector is a common problem on other models too, like the early Gold Wings with VRR's.
Its also interesting that this stator-plug seems to be the only connection that did not got terminated with waterproof/Super Seal type shells... probably for the to be expected current there (back then the AMP Super Seal and similar MFGs/types weren't avail for high current load...)

Top Bottom