blown head gasket

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Ok, another 2 1/2 months goes by and I realized an update is in order. Took every ones advice and have been RIDING!! So far this year , I've put 6500 on her and running better than ever! No issues with head gasket leak or coolant problems. Still returns 40+ mpg. All things considered, I'm very happy!! Why then did I just buy a 2004 ST1300??!! Cause it was time to upgrade and with only 6600 miles, I couldn't resist. One test ride was all it took to convince me what I've been missing out on. It has a couple of farkles I don't understand yet ( a sheriffs deputy comm system that I won't use) but all the rest is pretty stock. Along with that gorgeous blue paint and new Battleaxe tires, it just needs me to put some miles on her. So that's my update and I promise it wont be another 2 1/2 months before I write again. Thanks again for all the help and encouragement with my 1100!

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
A lotta work on that 1100, BUT the 1300 is a great upgrade! U won't B dissapointed. Just my $.02. It's a tighter, firmer, quicker handling bike, BUT give it time to break in and get used to it.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
As far as an upgrade goes, I really don't know of a more comfortable, smooth, quite running machine. Of course there's always the Wing, but for the class, this 1300 is amazing. BUT! The seat is very cheaply made and the headlights are worthless. Half of my commute is in the very early morning hours thru a canyon road full of dear, rabbit, skunk, possum and my personal favorite, coyote. Two years ago , one of those damn things slammed into the side of my 1100 before I saw it. Didn't go down but all the plastic was destroyed. All because the headlights weren't bright enough. On this bike I was sure brightness wouldn't be a problem but wow! They are awful! I'm going to bed now(3a.m. here) but I'm hoping when I get up, I'll have one or two suggestions from all of you who have had to deal with this. As always, thanks for the help!

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Both ST1100Y. I ran Osram 70/65 on my 1100 and they are great. Before I stated to change these though, I looked at the bulbs that are in now and they say "Plasma Glow 100/90". Never heard of those but doesn't matter-still going with the Osram. The adjustment wheel is set all the way clockwise but that didn't make a difference in beam distance. Could only go 45mph cause I couldn't see far enough ahead or to the sides. Is there another adjustment to make to add some height to the beam? And what about shims? Never had them on the 1100 and never had a problem.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
I'm really starting to think of a different motorcycle. This 1300 is amazing. If someone had told me that the difference between the 11&13 would be so much, I would have hardly believed them. BUT! The headlight issue has really got me thinking I may have made a mistake. After changing the useless plasma bulbs to the Osrams, the light is brighter but no matter what I adjust, the beam goes no further than 20-25 feet. When the last owner had the comm-stereo system installed, he swore they did not remove the front cowl. After I removed the cowl, I found miss matched fastners as well as siliconed wires that had been pulled apart. So obviously they did remove the cowl and screwed the pooch with there re-assembly. After checking to make sure the aiming motor fuse is good, I tried the manual screw underneath the cowl. Nothing. Has anyone here expierenced this before?

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Ok, so it's only been 7 months since my last post but I've taken everyone's advice and have been riding!! Had to stop for 6 weeks after I got Bell's Palsey, but since November have been almost non stop. I still can't believe the difference between the 1100 and this 1300. Such a pleasure to ride. But with a vacation looming, I've got some maintenance to do. Before I forget though, my lighting issue was corrected by removing the aiming assembly and finding that it had come off the adjusting rod somehow. After reattaching everything it works great. Lighting is no longer a problem! I do need a new set of tires though. I have almost 9000 miles on Battalx 020 and like them for the kind of riding that I do but I'm open to anyone's suggestion.....

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have almost 9000 miles on Battalx 020 and like them for the kind of riding that I do but I'm open to anyone's suggestion.....[/QUOTE]

I went from 'Stones ( tried both the 020 and 023 GT's, ) to Michelin PR4's. I think the PR4's hold the road a bit better, and are less prone to slipping on tar snakes. From my reading, I think the PR4's might wear a bit longer. I changed my own, and they went on easily as well.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Thanks klaproth, I've been leaning toward those and your experience has helped make my decision! I'll post again when I've got some miles on them.

Bike
07 ST1300A(P)
STOC #
I second that...

And to prevent any seeping I normally replace both, gaskets and grommets during a valve check...
To ease installation I glue them in place on the covers (only a thin layer of Pattex), prevents them from falling off on the (unseen) inboard side).
Spray on headliner cement.
The mechanics third hand. Clean the covers, spray the groove, spray corresponding side of gasket, let dry. Put parts together, voila! Been using this stuff for years. Strangely, never used it on an actual headliner.....

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I'm really starting to think of a different motorcycle. This 1300 is amazing. If someone had told me that the difference between the 11&13 would be so much, I would have hardly believed them. BUT! The headlight issue has really got me thinking I may have made a mistake. After changing the useless plasma bulbs to the Osrams, the light is brighter but no matter what I adjust, the beam goes no further than 20-25 feet. When the last owner had the comm-stereo system installed, he swore they did not remove the front cowl. After I removed the cowl, I found miss matched fastners as well as siliconed wires that had been pulled apart. So obviously they did remove the cowl and screwed the pooch with there re-assembly. After checking to make sure the aiming motor fuse is good, I tried the manual screw underneath the cowl. Nothing. Has anyone here expierenced this before?
Please give us your opinion on the differences between the ST1100 and ST1300 and why the ST1300 is so much better. I hate to replace my beloved ST1100, but maybe I will sooner than I now think.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Well Jim, it's just a more refined machine. Maybe it's just me, but it handles better, has more horsepower, stops faster and is much more comfortable. As I said in an earlier post, the seat seems to be made cheaply but it is comfortable and the fact that it has 3 settings makes me want to stay in the saddle longer. Also like all of the user friendly information in the dash cluster. And I dare anyone to say they don't like the adjustable windshield. My only complaint is the dumb-*** saddle bag locking system. Unlike the 2 locks on each bag of the 1100's, the single lock on this one is just a pain to deal with. Again, just my opinion and nothing that would stop me from recommending the 13 over the 11. Hope this helps Jim, and good luck with whatever you decide!

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
Thank you for your response.

I decided not to test ride a ST1300. That way I won't know what I'm missing and won't be tempted. After my ST1100 dies ( if I don't die first ) , I'll test drive a ST1300 and the F6B.

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Solid logic! There have been many events in my life that I should have applied that standard too. My 91 just started to really take a toll on my confidence in the bike and the 1300 just came at the right time. Everything lined up, so I bought it. If the parts were not so hard to find, I might have kept it. I'm sure your like all the rest of us here, very emotionally attached. Enjoy!!

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Hello again klaproth. Wanted to update you on my tire situation..... Ordered the PR4's on 4/15 and have not received them yet. A fellow rider from Utah told me about a place he gets all his tires and riding goodies from, Rocky Mountain ATV. So after comparing prices with several other sources, I bought them from there. The price for both was $327.44 with free shipping and no sales tax. So.....next update I hope to have some miles on them and will let you know how great they are!!!!

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Ok, update time. The PR4's are great! Got a little over 1000 miles on them and they make the bike feel like a much lighter machine. I've never done a track day but these tires give my cycle a really tight, grippy feel. If your wondering which tire might be right for you, try these!!!

OP
OP
Bike
2004 ST1300
Hello to everyone again. I have a little time tonight so I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts. The tires are amazing and would recommend them to anyone. Really makes the bike feel like it was intended. I'm definately in-love! When I was putting the front tire on though, I saw crud on the top of both forks. Yep, they are both leaking. Having never done a fork before, on a scale of 1-10, how difficult am I looking at here? Any and all help is welcome!!!!

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Hello to everyone again. I have a little time tonight so I thought I'd jot down a few thoughts. The tires are amazing and would recommend them to anyone. Really makes the bike feel like it was intended. I'm definately in-love! When I was putting the front tire on though, I saw crud on the top of both forks. Yep, they are both leaking. Having never done a fork before, on a scale of 1-10, how difficult am I looking at here? Any and all help is welcome!!!!

Maybe this would be better posted on the 1300 forum?

Top Bottom