want more noise

Bike
1991 st1100
I'm looking for a way to make my exhaust louder without spending 300+ on aftermarket cans. The bike is a91 with 106k so it's not in my mind worth it. I am not looking for any performance gains only nose. I keep hearing about mods that can be done to the stock mufflers but can't find pictures anywhere. Or are there any inexpensive mufflers off other bikes that will fit and be a little louder. My last bike was a harley so I'm not used to not being able to hear the bike at all.

STDaveNW

Dave
Bike
2004 ST1300
STOC #
My 2cents, long ago there was a mod where one drills a 3/4 in hole tru the baffles to make it louder. I performed the mod on my 2004 bike. It sounded like a scooter with a hole in the muffler causing me to buy on ebay another set of mufflers. Learn to enjoy the sound.
That being said some may like the new noise.
Dave

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
Removing the mufflers entirely costs nothing until you get a ticket for it.

Seriously, STs are entirely about function.

--Mark

Bike
2005 ST1300
KING...how long have you had your ST..?

It took me a while to warm up to the sound (or lack of it). I came off a cruiser too (Vulcan Nomad...V Twin).
It has been about 16 mos but now I enjoy the quiet.

I have also changed my mind about the need for a 6th gear....5 is perfect for this bike IMHO.[emoji41]

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
I have only had it for 2 weeks. It just seems odd to me because every other vehicle in my fleet makes noise but this one. Oh well maybe ill just wait till tax return time and buy a set of cans for it. Just cant spend the $$ on it right now as it needs a reat tire and windshield and the altinator is leaking some oil.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
I you take a long trip or ride you will learn to appreciate the quiet. I have Staintunes on my 1300 and always keep the tips in which allows me to hear it but it is not what you would call loud.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Yeah, I think you lost the crowd with the 'noise' comment.. if you'd said, more rumble or a bit more exhaust sound, it would not have had so many get out the tar and feathers.. LOL

I always liked the sound of the ST w/delkevics or staintunes... The two brother pipes were okay but just on the edge of being too loud.. in the end, with all the camping I do, I prefer to not make an entrance into a state/nat'l park so I always went back to stock most of the time when touring. In traffic, I do like the extra 'sound' to give me some presence in a group of cagers.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
For me the Best Bang for the Buck is Delkevic. I like the sound and the quality is good. With the baffles in I only hear them at low speed and hard throttle. Staintunes are a bit pricy though they appear to be better construction.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I was just home to Midwest and put 800 miles on my brothers Can-Am which he put the louder pipe on.
Compared to the ST it's a bit louder but I wouldn't say it's LOUD.
Anyway, after riding a tank through it, it was like I was at a concert for a few hours and my ears were ringing a bit. I told him I would put the stock pipe back on if it was mine.
Long rides are where you will appriciate the sound or lack there of the ST.
Put some miles on it before you decide.

Bike
2020 Africa Twin DCT
I bought my 1300 with the aluminum Two Brothers Racing slip-ons. At low rpm's the V-4 puts out a huge rumble. Higher rpm's actually smooth the sound out so it's not so pronounced. At highway speed I really don't hear them, and wind noise overrides everything anyway so I wear plugs or earbuds.
Everything is lighter than the stock pipes, Two Brothers claims a weight savings of up to 16 lbs, this higher number is likely for the carbon series.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Yeah, I think you lost the crowd with the 'noise' comment.. if you'd said, more rumble or a bit more exhaust sound, it would not have had so many get out the tar and feathers.. LOL...

In traffic, I do like the extra 'sound' to give me some presence in a group of cagers.
LOL! Yeah to win everybody over he shoulda went with the "safety aspect of less restrictive exhaust" instead of "more noise!"

Bike
92 ST1100
I bought my 1300 with the aluminum Two Brothers Racing slip-ons. At low rpm's the V-4 puts out a huge rumble. Higher rpm's actually smooth the sound out so it's not so pronounced. At highway speed I really don't hear them, and wind noise overrides everything anyway so I wear plugs or earbuds.
Everything is lighter than the stock pipes, Two Brothers claims a weight savings of up to 16 lbs, this higher number is likely for the carbon series.
Quiet and stealthily fast..........wind noise?.....non existant on my 92 STeed with the tallest Clearview and LaminarLip......at any speed:D.

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
I have only had it for 2 weeks. . . . Oh well maybe ill just wait till tax return time . . . Just cant spend the $$ on it right now . . .
Economies of delay and scarcity happily produce a benefit, time to learn some practical lessons of ecology. Perhaps like me you'll soon learn to like the "quieter" sound of our sewing machine.

Styles

Papa

R.I.P. - 2020/02/10
Rest In Peace
Bike
Blue Breeze
STOC #
I attached a playing card with a clothespin to hit the spokes as the wheel rotated.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
I'm from NH too. I just got a 2000 1100 with two brothers cans. I may entertain a swap.

Mark
Check the date of the original post. I think the OP has likely either bought new LOUDER cans, or gone back to a Harley!:D

OP
OP
Bike
1991 st1100
Actually did both lol. Found a set of two brothers pipes and bought a Harley.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom