Is my windscreen stock?

Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
Howdy gang,
I just got back from a ride north and south along the length of California. Cooling wind flow is not quite what I'd like. Which led me to wonder :confused: -
is my windscreen stock? I measured with a cloth tape top to bottom and across the front at the widest part down low. I'm not the original owner.

Top to bottom: 19.5"
Across the front: 25.75"

This was a good size on the ride before this one when I rode south from Montana in rain and mid forties temps. But for hot rides, I think I'd like
a windscreen maybe 4" shorter and possibly narrower for some air flow across the chest. I rarely ride with this windscreen raised more than a
few inches.

If the measurements aren't enough, I'll take a photo and post that.

Thanks in advance.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
That is the OEM size - here is an example of some modifications that you can do to improve the flow through and back pressure issues without affecting the protection.
I notched the bottom of the windshield and added 4 vent holes. This has been working good for me for the past 9 years in temps from 14 degrees to 114 degrees.

Attachments

OP
OP
jonz
Bike
2009 ST1300
STOC #
That is the OEM size - here is an example of some modifications that you can do to improve the flow through and back pressure issues without affecting the protection.
I notched the bottom of the windshield and added 4 vent holes. This has been working good for me for the past 9 years in temps from 14 degrees to 114 degrees.
Did you just pick those vent holes shapes at random?

One of the interesting things I noticed on the ride was that when I raised the shield and got the back pressure, the sweat on my back started to evaporate and that gave me some extra cooling. So in addition to standing, I could raise the windscreen for a few seconds and get some cooling of a different part of my body.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I saw a thread where someone put some risers between the screen and adjuster, IIRC it was a 1.25" flat bar that raised the screen 1" away from the plastic but maintained the angle so to speak. More wind flow under the screen.
No idea how to post and attach a link or I would try to do that.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I searched some of your past posts and didn't see a response for my question (or maybe I didn't dig deep enough)

Do you have the templates for your windscreen cutouts?
No specific templates, just something I came up with accumulating information from some aftermarket versions.

CruSTy

My Perception is my reality.
Site Supporter
Bike
2007 ST1300A
2024 Miles
STOC #
Cooling wind flow is not quite what I'd like
DSC01636r.jpg
This mod cost me $15. Extends windscreen 1" forward to increase airflow and reduce back pressure and turbulence. No change to existing parts so bike can be returned to 100% stock at any time. Worth a try. There is an Article on MODS that led me to build this one. Glad I did.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
stock will have a DOT number stamped in it indicating who made it and what it's made of.
oem st1300 at least for an 04 is DOT-293 right by the left mirror.

DOT293 MITSUBISHI GAS CHEMICAL CO INC TOKYO, JAPAN

Last edited:
Top Bottom