Weird thing happened today..

My side stand has a weak spring so sometimes it doesn't go all the way up and the bike will kill when letting out the clutch to take off. Well, this happened today but it then it wouldn't restart. Not even in neutral. Had all lights, but no cranking.

I flipped the stand up and down a few times to try to unstick the switch just in case that was the problem, but that didn't seem to help.

I backed it up out of the way and let it set for a minute and then tried it and it started right up. Any ideas? Maybe a faulty stand switch?

OP
OP
noslogto
Hey, thanks admin for getting this in the right place for me...I must be getting blind!:)

Irish, I willed be definitely getting it fixed...it left me high and dry and I don't like that, plus it's a little embarrassing to be out in the middle of the parking lot with a dead horse!

thumperjdm

Naty Von Ozirisz 1997-2011
Bike
'15 Trophy SE
It might be that the switch is gummed-up, and it took a while for the switch to fully extend outward after you lowered your kick stand.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
If your side stand spring is weak, resulting in a problem, I would do two things.....

1. Clean and lubricate the side stand pivot point using penetrating oil, or chain lube once clean and free from corrosion.

2. If the spring still cannot keep the stand up, replace it...

After all, if these aren't right, the switch doesn't stand a chance..... I would check the continuity of the switch with a meter.

LetErBuck

Brian Oehlert
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Here is the rundown....when bike stalls.
First, make sure you and the bike are stable..not going to fall.
Second,fully release the clutch and pull in FULLY.
Third, make sure side stand is up!!!!!
Fourth, it does NOT matter if you are in neutral or not!
Fifth, hit the starter button it will crank unless battery is dead or there is an electrical malfunction.
The key to all of this is to "RESET" the safety ignition system. By releasing and then fully pulling in the clutch you "reset" the sequence.
I challenge you to go try it.
Try to take off with the side stand down.
The bike WILL NOT fire until you release the clutch and then fully pull it back in.

OP
OP
noslogto
Hey, thanks to all for the suggestions. I will definitely get that stand either moving freely or replace the springs.

Thanks also to Leterbuck for the info on the reset. I learn something everyday!

Top Bottom