Change Coolant?

I know the manual states every two years to change the coolant. The coolant looked great when I change the thermostat last year. I have an 2006 with 12,000 miles. How often do you change the coolant?

Bike
2021 Tracer 9GT
STOC #
I personally think it is not really necessary to change it every two years. I use a 50/50 mix of the orange Prestone 5 year stuff with distilled water in all of my liquid cooled bikes, and have for at least 18 years. However, I DO think it is mandatory that the brake fluid be flushed at least every two years. So, if you have the mid fairing off to do this procedure correctly, (proportioning valve access) why not go ahead and change the coolant also? Doesnt't take long and gives you a chance to check things out for leaks, etc.

STGuy

Play it makes life fun
Bike
2007 ST1300A
Well mine has 43,000 on it and is a 2007 and the coolant looks great and tests great but I am changing it just to know as I have had it 2 years and 15,000 miles. I decided to support my local dealer and buy the Type 2 blue coolant. but at $8 a Qt that will be the last time as it is premixed. will buy silicate free stuff at a car shop next time.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Well mine has 43,000 on it and is a 2007 and the coolant looks great and tests great but I am changing it just to know as I have had it 2 years and 15,000 miles. I decided to support my local dealer and buy the Type 2 blue coolant. but at $8 a Qt that will be the last time as it is premixed. will buy silicate free stuff at a car shop next time.
Buying the gallon jug at a Honda auto dealer would probably have been cheaper and you are still supporting the brand.

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I have ever so minor weeping in the upper hoses, so about every 4 months or so I have to add a pint or so to the overfill bottle. So in two years time of a normal change, mine has been changed or close enough to it and I don't have to take it all apart. :)

Bike
2016 Versys 1000
STOC #
Two year coolant changes are an old habit and you're likely tossing out good coolant..... I'll qualify that... the only reason to change it is if the anti-corrosion inhibitors are used up. There are long life coolants that are "5 year" or high mileage coolants, check the label, most on the shelves are these days. If you use Prestone silicate free aluminum compatable in your Honda, IMHO you're good. Motorcycle coolants don't seem to label them "long life", but they may be for all we know. There is a way to check your coolant with a voltmeter, this link is only one of many explaining that........
https://www.familyhandyman.com/automotive/car-maintenance/coolant-testing-with-a-multimeter/view-all/

Top Bottom