Air Filter Change-Police bike

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
I have a 2006 ST1300AP. Anybody changed their air filter? I don't know if I have the prop rod since its a police bike. Anybody know how long it is? Should I also clean the throttle body?

Bike
2012 ST1300A
You can use anything to prop the tank up- empty tank is best- be sure to take the seat off and move the tank aft at the hinge back there. Use caution when the leading tank edge gets near the handlebars, takes a little finesse to clear things. With my bike lift, I have to park the bike aft (so the front wheel is clear of the front wheel clamp) and use the center stand- so I can move the handlebars L/R to avoid the tank coming up.

You'll need a stubby Phillips/90 degree cordless for the air filter, but its easily doable. Shopvac any debris you find (bugs, feathers, deer parts, Harley riders, etc.) in there while you have it opened up.

Last edited:
OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks, I liked the humor! Hey, Harleys are loud, doesn't that count for something? They do get in my way though.

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Thanks. I too have the service manual. But, I'm finding it doesn't tell the whole story, so I like asking others for advice. Case in point was changing the rear brake pads. Now I have my own tricks!

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
here is my way-----I run the gas down until the main tank is empty, then I remove the main tank. I use a set of 45 degree jaw needle nose pliers to remove main hose clamp (without it is a pain) remove the other two hoses and disconnect the wire harness. With the tank out of the way I can stick my head in there and get it done quicker and easier. I also keep a set of new hoses in my parts locker in case I need a hose.

Blrfl

Natural Rider Enhancement
Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
As long as the limit strap on the right side is still in place, anything you can find that's the right length will hold the tank up. Just make sure it will stay put or you're in for a clank as the tank drops.

Do not attempt to clean the throttle bodies unless there's something really horrible in there like a cheeseburger. If the air filter is doing its job, there should be no need for it. Parts of the butterflies and bores have a a molybdenum coating that seals the edges when the throttle is closed. Carburetor cleaner will strip that right off.

--Mark

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
OK, changed it with no problems. Since it was a police bike, i still had the ticket pad clamp on the tank, so I used a bungee between it and the seat crossbar above the fender. It worked great and I had nothing in the way of removing the top of the air cleaner housing. I left the two front screws on the cover as they would have been hard to set in place. I just used a regular length #2 philips screwdriver without any problems. I have noticed no difference in gas mileage yet with the K&N, but low end performance is better, more responsive. It makes sense the bike would breath better without the screen around the stock air filler.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
I left the two front screws on the cover as they would have been hard to set in place.
The front and rear screw locations have little "tunnels" around them that let you drop the screw in without having to worry about them falling into the abyss. Usually the end up cocked off to one side, but a quick turn with the screwdriver is usually enough to get them to go into the holes.

I'd go back and put them in. You want even pressure around the gasket, and not having the box clamped together could cause leaks as the halves expand and contract. (Not extremely likely, but if there were no need for two screws in the front, Honda would have saved a nickel and not put them there.)

--Mark

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
I'd go back and put them in. You want even pressure around the gasket, and not having the box clamped together could cause leaks as the halves expand and contract. (Not extremely likely, but if there were no need for two screws in the front, Honda would have saved a nickel and not put them there.)
I have to agree with this, a leak will cause all kind of problems. A magnetic screwdriver helps hold the screws on the tip (or run a magnet several times back and forth across reg screwdriver) I also use my headlamp to see what I am doing in that all black recess. You can also replace the phillips head screws with bolt head style fasteners and use a magnetic apex driver to remove and install.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
I left the two front screws on the cover as they would have been hard to set in place.
I interpert that to mean he didn't remove the screw from the little tunnels. Lifted the top of the air cleaner off with the two little screws dangling in the air. Then repalced the airbox cover and the screws were ready to be screwed in without having to drop them back in the tunnels.

Blrfl

Bike
Fast Blue One
STOC #
This is what happens when you let me post while I'm jet lagged. Zzzzzzz....

--Mark

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Guys, I didn't say I left the screws off, I just left then in as I removed and replaced the cover because it was easier.

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes, that's it! I would never leave the hardware off. Spare parts are for amateurs.

OP
OP

RPR

Bike
2006 ST1300
All screws were used to attach the air filter cover. It is easier when removing the cover to leave the front two in place. This was a tip by another member.

Top Bottom