Braided brake and clutch lines

Bike
1997 ST1100
My 97 1100, Non BS had non OEM handlebars on it when purchased. I remember the seller telling me he had installed different hydraulic lines on the front end. I'm looking at upgrading to BSS lines but the sites I've looked at are asking for the length in inches I need. My question, can someone give me the lengths for the brakes and clutch needed for the OEM handlebars. Also, can someone recommend a site to purchase them from that won't bankrupt me.

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I can't help with the measurements because I installed an 'st1100 set' on the front.

If you hunt in your area I'll bet you could find someone to build them local to you to your dimensions; but, you'd have to pull the lines to figure out new lengths after you figure out the routings...

Good luck with the hunt and you'll love them after you get them...

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
The stock lines have a single line from the master cylinder to a "T" which splits off to each caliper. You'll likely replace that with dual lines, one to each caliper, so the measurements are going to be different from the stock lines anyway. I saw Galfer makes a "T" arrangement like the stock lines, but not sure if its dimensionally the same or not. they don't list the ST as one of their typical applications, but they make custom lines anyway, so they would be one possible source.

Make yourself a section of string, wire, etc. that you can fasten to the side of the master cylinder with tape. Route the wire along the path to the calipers and cut to the desired length, giving yourself a little play. Then measure the wire when you're done. Just guessing at mine since they're on the bike and not easily measured, but they looked like they were in the range of 33" or 850mm.

Brittany and Parker Colorado in summer time
Bike
ST 1100
STOC #
I have looked at the web site,I need my front and rear pipes changing, and the clutch, suppose 4 pipes in all?, Have you Moddy or others in the ST1100 owners worked out the lengths involved and the angle of the Banjo's?, maybe it's my age!, but i found the product to be a good set of brake and clutch lines but quite confusing to make an order confidently.

Bike
'98 ST1100
STOC #
I have a set of home-built handlebar risers on my bike and had to have longer custom brake and clutch lines made to fit. I have braided hoses on the ST , and this summer had a set of S.S. brake lines made for my old '83 GL1100I.

I had both sets made by Brake Materials and Parts in Ft. Wayne, IN. I mailed them my old brakes hoses and they duplicated them exactly , except for adding about 4 inches to the length. They even duplicated the original front brake ST hose assembly that have a crazy looking Tee connector - that surprised me. After fabrication, they pressure test the line at 3,000 psi , so they are DOT approved.

Turn around was 7 days and the cost was about 75% of OEM. I'm a very satisfied customer.

Give them a call - ask for Scott : Brake Material and Parts

Last edited:
Top Bottom