Engine Oil Leak

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
On the ride back from NatSToc I noticed that the RH cover over the spark plug wires and oil filler was wet with oil. I pulled the cover off and there was a fair amount of oil on the ridge below the oil filler. I checked the cap and it was tight and the "o" ring was in good condition.

I'm guessing it has to come from the oil cap but it would take a fair amount of pressure to push oil past the "o" ring.

Has anyone else had this problem?

The oil hadn't run down the engine and there are no drips on my garage floor. The oil level is the exact level as when I left for NatSToc. it was a 3000 mile round trip.

I'm hoping its not a valve pressurizing the engine and blowing out the filler cap. Last valve check was 30000 miles ago.

Byron

STOC #
Maybe it is a sign that it's time for a check, valve jobs can be expensive if you burn an exhaust valve.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
It doesn't sound like your loosing much oil, that may make it difficult to diagnose the source. Before you do the valve lash check, it would be valuable information to have a compression test done on the cylinders, then a leak down check. If the exhaust charge is pressurizing the engine block, it would most likely be thru a valve stem or the piston rings. Neither could be indicated by checking the valves.

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Take a look at your valve cover gasket as that sounds like the rubber liner under the tank is stuck inside there causing the leak.

Top Bottom