Well I crashed my 2014 Triumph Trophy SE back on June 8 ... now what?

STOC #
Well I crashed my 2014 TTSE back on June 8. Hit something unknown on the road and ;

- bike veered to the right off of the highway
- slid on it's right side for about 140 meters with me on it through the ditch
- the bike then went upright (throwing me off of the machine) and flipped backwards into a fence

Damage to the bike:

- right side fairing basically gone
- saddle bags destroyed
- top box destroyed
- rad destroyed
- exhaust system crushed
- front forks bent back into the front of radiator

Damage to Me:

- broken bone in my left arm, I now have a titanium plate in the arm; will be fun when I go through the metal
detectors to get on a plane.
- right leg has tendon and muscle damage; will be on physio for a while

Thank GOD for ATGATT, could have been much worse.

My eternal thanks for the members of this forum who were riding with me. They pulled me out of the swamp I ended up lying in; called 911 and contacted my wife as well as staying around the area until my wife drove the 2 ? hours to the hospital. You guys made a bad situation much better. My eternal thanks. Am looking forward to riding with you in the future,

Moving forward

The bike has been written off by the insurance company. The bike only was 2 months old with less than 5000 kms and the insurance company settlement will pay for the bike itself. Some of the farkles as well as any of the original dealer prep, etc are gone and will not be reimbursed (no replacement value insurance). Overall I am taking about a considerable hit on this.

Do not expect to be riding for the rest of this year. My right leg is way too weak/sore to hold up a heavy beast like the TTSE or my old ST1300. Come the January bike show season I will be making up my mind what I will be doing next year.

Until then I will be reading this forum and vicariously riding with this rest of you.

Be safe and ride well.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Aw man! You just got that bike, sorry to hear this Norm but glad you weren't hurt any worse. Good to see you had some friends with you. Rest up and heal quickly.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
WOW!

Sorry to hear of this off.... hope your injuries heal well and fast as they can....

Also sorry about the bike but after all it is only a bike and they can be replaced... main thing is, you are, as okay as you can be in the circumstances...

Do the physio, do it daily and yes it will hurt.... mine still does.... I am going through another lot four and a half years after my collision.

Looking forward to hearing about your new ride when it comes.

Well done to all those riding friends who helped out when you went down.

The Dan

The Dude Abides
Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
2009 ST1300 ABS
STOC #
Glad to see you had some friends with you too. Rest up and heal quickly. The main thing is your ok..Well sort of..

Bike
2012 Road Glide Ultr
STOC #
Sorry to hear about your crash and glad you came out of it relatively well.
I bumped into a fellow today that crashed (bad one) last year at the beginning of the season. Messed up his back and broke ankle and leg. He's a tough old bird and decided he was not going to loose his whole season (short one here), so, he bought himself a Spyder.
This guy has several bikes, HD Fat Bob, Big Bear chopper, V-Strom, etc. When I saw him today, at the physic's, he was on his red Spyder. He told me he had thought it was just going to be till he mends, but then, he decided to keep it. He still rides the Big Bear on occasion, but his now, favorite ride is the Spyder.
I rode a couple and it was fun. Not my thing just yet, but liked the feel better than a trike, reason being that a trike is "driven" like a 4 wheeler, no leaning, while the Spyder is more like a snowmobile, you can slide around the seat and the reverse is much smoother that the starter motor on the Tri-Glide. We see lots on the road, some farkled to the ting-yang, pulling trailers, etc.
Just a thought if you feel up to riding this summer.
Best of luck recovering.
Grizz

OP
OP
nakerr
STOC #
I have thought about a Spyder (do like them, and I grew up with snowmobiles so the feel is not to foreign) but the high end ST and RT Spyders are expensive and I really want to be sure what I want and can ride before I invest again. Already have lost over $4K through this event.

Lanny

Former Rider
Bike
None
STOC #
Glad to hear you're not hurt worse. I hope you heal quickly.

Last edited:
Bike
2005 & 2006 St 1300
STOC #
Norm, I am glad to see you back on the forum, actually saw that you were still on here but not posting anything,suppose you had not come to terms with it all. The most important part is that you are OK and are healing well. I am glad I was there to assist and look forward to riding with you again.:06biker:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
Dang Norm, sorry to see this! :eek:4:

Hope the healing goes well and fast! It's never fun taking the physical hit and then what it does to the wallet too! That should be classified as Double Jeopardy!:mad:

Good luck on both accounts!

Bike
Suzuki Gladius
Very sorry to hear about this, Norm! As others have said, I'm relieved you weren't hurt more severely (the injuries you did sustain are bad enough, I'm sure) and am glad there were other riders with you went you went down; I know I was grateful that there were three riders behind when I took a header into a ditch a couple of years ago!

Take it easy, heal up well and hopefully...ride again!

Patty

Saint Joe

Joe
Bike
'12 ST1300A
.....I am glad I was there to assist .....
Rob, I know I was glad you were there to assist, your career training really showed.
I'd like to give Rob another kudo for putting the need to assist Norm ahead of his own bike - as soon as Rob reached the point where things had stopped, he just layed his bike on it's side, and raced down the very steep ditch to assist Norm. I'd ride with you and ALL the guys that were there that day anytime after watching how everyone pitched in to help.

Norm, take care of yourself and hope everything heals up well, and look forward to riding with you again some day soon.

Joe

RocketMan

so many roads...
Bike
2012 ST1300A
STOC #
I am glad I was there to assist...
And assist you did.

As mentioned, Rob dumped his bike and tossed his helmet as he raced down the slope to lift Norm up out of the slough water.

I was leading the line and missed all of the calamity.

Out in the middle of nowhere. Good job we had cell service but it would have been interesting to test the response from my SPOT.

About 45 mins for the Ambulance to arrive.

Attachments

Last edited:
Top Bottom