First "long distance" ride.

Bike
2008 Honda ST13
Went on my first "long distance" ride today. I survived but it didn't go as well as I hoped. I drove from St. Paul, Mn to Mason City, Ia. I avoided the freeway and went through Rochester, Mn. It was supposed to take about 3 hours and it took me about 4, even though I was going 10 mph over the speed limit most of the way. I didn't stop the last 2 or so hours and was really sore when I finally got there. My right arm was kind of sore the whole way; I don't think I'm relaxed enough while riding. A big problem was that I still only have my Kilimanjaro and it is too hot from about 75 and up, especially if the sun is shining. In general, I think I have to prepare a little better on my next long ride and not be in a hurry. What are people's tips for preparing?

Bike
2001 ST1100
1. I have to admit that I'm not as young as I used to be. In 1990 I rode a lap of Lake Superior in two days. 1200 miles. On a 1976 Honda 550F. Then rode home on Sunday night from Phillips WI to Ham Lake. Now I get sore in a couple of hours on an ST1100.

2. Get a mesh jacket for warm days. I spent under $100 at Amazon for a Scorpion.

3. Ride more. This will make you more comfortable with the bike so you'll relax. I expect there will also be some muscle building so your arms don't get tired as soon.

I need to take some of my own advice. I rode from Blaine to Flying Cloud and back and was sore by the time I was home. I should have taken time for a stop someplace.

Bike
2000 ST1100 ABS TCS
STOC #
3. Ride more.

I agree with that one.

And hydrate, stop before ya feel the need, don't wear mesh gear, and relax. I did well over 250 yesterday at temps up to 113. Tired when I got home but all good today. This was the end of a 4 week, 6000 mile trip.

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
I would agree on ride conditioning your self to prepare for the distances.... hydration in absolutely critical, if at any time you get a headache while riding, STOP and drink water.... plenty of it...

I actually have a camelbak water pack that is great once you can ride the distance, but you need to work up to it...

I would also suggest looking at what you wear and what you sit on!

I wear sports undergarments, they wick sweat and are compression based.... but it is also important to get ventilation and airflow.. but the more you get airflow, the more you will need to drink...

Golden rule, you should be stopping for a toilet break.... if you are not, you need to drink more... if you aren't urinating, you need to drink more... otherwise you will be borderline in dehydration and that's when the headache will kick in.... STOP and DRINK WATER, not fizzy stuff, not energy drinks, WATER.

I did 1300 miles in four days on almost all non motorway/freeway the other week and it was quite hard going for the first two days because it was so hot, I did get a little chafing and discomfort but was able to cope with it.
I find that when I am riding on the motorway I can keep cooler because of the higher speeds, but lower speeds can see heat build up very quickly.

When I did my ride the other week I ran with my screen at the half way position, the only drawback is the higher fly impact rate on the visor and helmet.... so it does mean stopping more to clean the visor and take the opportunity to stretch legs and cool down....

Fall and winter riding is only different in that the challenge is to keep the warmth in!

So go ride some more, then go ride some more...... and enjoy!

Last edited:
Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
Your Kilimanjaro jacket blocks enough wind to protect you from dehydration.
I know that sounds weird. A mesh jacket is comfortable but you will dehydrate faster.
The main thing is to stay hydrated even with your Kili jacket.
I like compression style stuff to wear under it and use Pearlzumi bib style bike shorts for long distance rides in hot weather. Comfy!!

Mark

Gotta make tracks
Bike
KTM 525exc
STOC #
I didn't see anyone mention that your time/distance seems correct for back roads.
Freeways are faster; but, you have to allow your self a lot more time for the roads we like to ride.

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
getting the right gear and riding more is the two best answers along with being active .working out will help as it has for me it may not be for every one .....

Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
As everyone has said, the more you ride, the better your conditioning will be, that's for certain. Relaxing on the motorcycle comes with practice. As you get more relaxed, doing things like riding with one hand, and changing your position in the saddle will also help in long ride comfort. All of the above take time and practice.. When you are riding, make a point to relax your grip on the bars, and rotate/shrug your shoulders to stretch the muscles.
If you find yourself wishing to be a little more upright, consider handlebar risers that bring the bars back and up. I like Heli-Bars, but there are other good ones too. If your butt gets sore, try a Beadrider seat cover or a sheepskin. These are economical ways to improve your comfort over long rides. A set of highway pegs are also very handy to give you a whole different seating position, stretch those muscles, and change the pressure points on your butt.
To stay cool on long rides, I prefer to wear undergarments that are designed to be made wet, and act as evaporative coolers. Your current jacket is fine for even the hottest weather, if you wear something like this underneath, and carefully control the airflow through it. You don't want too much airflow, because it will dry out the undergarment very quickly and you lose the cooling. Mesh jackets are fine for temps below 90 degrees, but when it gets really warm experienced long distance riders generally wear full coverage gear with adjustable vents. Here in the desert southwest, I find wearing my mesh jacket in 100 degree heat dehydrates me very quickly. This is something you will have to experiment with for yourself. Check out LDComfort gear for examples of the undergarments.

Ultimately, your comfort level on longer rides comes down to your conditioning, and setting up your bike so that it a very comfortable place to be. For example, I can ride my ST for well over 30 hours, stopping only for fuel and bathroom breaks, which I manage to do in less than 10 minutes. At the end of a 30+ hour ride, nothing is sore. Tired, sure... but I don't hurt.

Garry

Bike
2001 ST1100
I see some disagree with my mesh jacket recommendation. They are likely more experienced and their advice is of higher value. That said, I like my inexpensive mesh jacket for warmer days. Good airflow, elbow/shoulder/back protectors, and no feeling of bugs crawling on the skin like after you stop when riding with no jacket.

I'll agree with the moisture-wicking undergarments. I have some HeatOut gear that works well, but with my build it is best to wear a button down shirt over the t-shirt. :beer8:

One last point - I find my ST1100 to be the most relaxing to ride of the few motorcycles I've owned. I sometimes find I am tense through the shoulders/arms out of habit - one I need to break. The seat is great at first, but failing to wear the HeatOut gear (and not fitting a sheepskin - yet) has left my ample backside sore after only a couple of hours.

Good luck, perhaps we'll meet out on the road one of these days.

Last edited:
Bike
2004 st1300
STOC #
I see some disagree with my mesh jacket recommendation. They are likely more experienced and their advice is of higher value. That said, I like my inexpensive mesh jacket for warmer days. Good airflow, elbow/shoulder/back protectors, and no feeling of bugs crawling on the skin like after you stop when riding with no jacket.

I'll agree with the moisture-wicking undergarments. I have some HeatOut gear that works well, but with my build it is best to wear a button down shirt over the t-shirt. :beer8:

One last point - I find my ST1100 to be the most relaxing to ride of the few motorcycles I've owned. I sometimes find I am tense through the shoulders/arms out of habit - one I need to break. The seat is great at first, but failing to wear the HeatOut gear (and not fitting a sheepskin - yet) has left my ample backside sore after only a couple of hours.

Good luck, perhaps we'll meet out on the road one of these days.
I also like my mesh olympia airglide jacket. I also wear ld undergarments. This does work for me. If it gets really hot I will put a coolvest under the jacket.

I do get chastised by some fellow riders on the wearing of the jacket. This while they ride in tank tops or short sleeve shirts. But at the end of the day I am still relatively fresh were they are obviously worn out,and burnt.

The key is hydration. I always have a water bottle on the bike that I can sip at while riding. and when stopped at least one bottle of water is downed. This especially when the heat is above 90 degrees.

Bike
R1200rt
practice, practice, practice, it takes some time and motrin to get settled in. try adjusting the handle bars. there is not a lot of adjustment but on my st1100 I moved the bars 3/4 of a inch, doesn't soud like much but it makes a difference. put a gel pad in my stock seat and it made a huge difference. fairly simple and cheap. screwdriver and a staple gun . good video on youtube

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
Conditioning is important, I have completed a trip from NY to KY in 1 day just over 14 hours including meals, fuel and rest breaks. I will say it was rather painful and chose to break it up into 2 day from now on. If you plan on longer touring get your seat adjusted or even look at aftermarket seats. Wicking clothing helps, Bike shorts work wonders. If heat is a problem keep your windscreen low and during daylight hours use lighter colored clothing and helmet with a smoke screen. I found on hot humid days not much works for comfort except breaks and hydration. For the record I am looking for a different seat and lighter colored riding gear(high vis). I learned that when I removed the rubber bumpers off the frame under my seat to lower the back side of my front seat it decreased my leg comfort and worse seemed to build up more heat under the seat. I have replaced them and ride more comfortable.

DAS

STOC #
++++ on all the comments about the more you ride, the better your conditioning will be. I'm usually more sore and tired on my first day on a cross country ride but by the end a 1000 mile day is easy enough. And yes, where a jacket. I have 2 brothers that do the tank top and bandanna and are worn out and have head aches at the end of a hot day. My other brother and I wear mesh jackets and full face helmets and pick on them at the end of the day.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I try to avoid the back roads when I can. I despise stop lights and traffic. If I know I'll be on a rural road without traffic or lights, I'll hit it for the scenery and fun road, but sitting still at lights just isn't any fun, and each one adds minutes to your trip. Plus you will get VERY hot sitting in the sun at lights without airflow.

Look at each comfort problem individually and correct each one. There is no reason not to be very comfortable for a 500+ mile day, you just have to correct the issues and tailor the bike to truly fit you. Usually that is a combination of good seat, bar adjustments, possibly risers, correct windshield to deal with airflow, and sometimes adjusted foot pegs. I had my ST to the point where I was completely comfortable at the end of a 1500 mile day. Now that my Russell saddle is breaking down a bit (bought it used and put 80k miles on it) my legs get sore after 400 or 500 miles. Just a small change like the seat settling a little put pressure on my thighs.

As a rough guide when I'm planning trips through populated places, especially if I have to do local roads is to add 25% to the original planned time for urban routes; and double the time if you are going through a city like Boston, New York, or Chicago. If your GPS or map software tells you a distance will take an hour, plan on two because of traffic and stop lights.

Bike
ST1300A '10
if riding made your right arm sore, I don't think it's a matter of conditioning. I'd try putting foam sleaves over the grips to open up the hand position (grip-puppies or similar, $12) and get a simple clip-on trottle control of some kind so you are not fighting the return spring non-stop (cramp buster, vista cruise etc).

On heat remember, while traveling temps can vary +\- 50 or more degrees in hours, your gear needs to be able to adjust for that. On longer rides, I always carry two jackets, an all-rounder for temps up to 90F, and then mesh for temps higher than that. Mesh technically is not the right thing for extreme conditions due to evaporation but in crossing places like Death Valley (107F++) I find it in combination with a cooling jacket to be the most comfortable (the more eveporation, the faster, the better). In heat remember to drink lots and lots and lots of water. Use the urinal litmus test: if your pee isn't nice and light in color, you need to be drinking more water.

Top Bottom