Microsoft to Discontinue Strrets & Trips

STOC #
Whoda thought! Streets & Trips has been my go-to mapping program for years. Although of late, as I get better with BaseCamp, I've used S&T less and less.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
bummer! I'm downloading it now to mess with the free trial. I'm stumbling in BaseCamp. Guess I just need more practice.

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Interesting ... I really dislike the online versions of maps, especially considering that I use the mapping tool offline. The 'optimize stops' function in S&T will be missed by me (I'll keep my S&T in service as long as practical).

Styles

2000 Non-ABS
Bike
'00 ST1100
STOC #
Interesting news. I'll use my 2013 version for years, though. Today my visiting younger son, seeing me excise a 1989 Rand McNally page for tank bag use, remarked, "I suppose the roads are the same."

"For sure in remote B.C. and Alberta," I quipped.

Updating, simply, is much overrated.

Styles

Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
They say it has been replaced by Bing maps online? You would think that they would have given Bing some of the capabilities before they discontinue Streets. Like import GPX, build routes with multiple waypoints and then export them to GPX.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
hmm... kinda bad, I always appreciated their EC version (MS-AutoRoute) for sketching longer trips (like 1~2 weeks) due the detailed profile & time frame settings...
I also like the feature of displaying POIs along the route/s and the simple [add stop here, days/HH:MM] functionality...
Or the reverse calculation where I enter the needed arrival at a ferry-port, so the application gives me the required time of departure from home...
So a lot of valuable functions I desperately miss in MapSource (and BaseCamp)...

And while down the road I also definitely prefer stand-alone applications by far over their online thingies like Bing Maps...

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Fortunately, they aren't building 'new' major roads at a rapid pace any more ... :D
Well, the communities still suffer the "roundabout-frenzy"... these days every clustered human settlement must have one at least... ;-)
Still running the 2010 version, the last that actually came on a disk, later issues were only avail as download + license key... pretty annoying...

Bike
2006 ST1300
I was saddened when I heard a rumor about this, and am even more so now that it has been confirmed. While MS isn't perfect, it has been my go-to routing software for years. I'm still using 2010 because to me, it seems to be the most seamless, easy to use, and useful version. Easy to route, nice interface, and easy to export to a GPS.

My favorite feature of MS is the "Optimize Stops" feature, a rally rider's best friend. Very easy to find the most efficient route to many points. I just can't stand the Garmin options, starting with Mapsource, and now Basecamp. It just feels like I'm using old, outdated, primitive software. I don't like the features, and I don't like the interface. I also hate that I can't get maps for it without buying them. I was supposed to have them with my Garmin 665 but they never installed correctly, and Garmin couldn't even get them to work, so I just have what came downloaded with Basecamp.

I'll stick with MS as long as possible. For the few roads that change through the years, I'll take my chances by using software that works well for me, rather than fighting with something I don't like.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
My favorite feature of MS is the "Optimize Stops" feature, a rally rider's best friend.
I just can't stand the Garmin options, starting with Mapsource, and now Basecamp. It just feels like I'm using old, outdated, primitive software.
Started with the AutoRouteEurope 2000 I've to agree... all the features like [Profile] (start day HH:MM, end day HH:MM), [add fuel stop @XXXkm with XX-minutes] or [add overnight stay here] were/are so convenient for me, that I was shocked when working with MapSource the very first time... compared to S&T/AutoRoute those Garmin plotting utilities are indeed primitive; more up to date maps or not, their just no "travel companion"...
And the next harsh disappointment when that darn BaseCamp got released... I just don't need their [Adventure], [BirdsEye] or a little rocket... those are totally useless gadgets to me...
When planning a round trip to France or Scotland I need to determine how much ground I can cover in the given time... including ferry/train schedules, lunch stops and overnight stays...

Bike
2006 ST1300
Yes, all the little tweaks like preplanning length of stops, what time I need to arrive by, etc. are so handy when planning a rally...or just a vacation with a schedule! I also love the quick ability to figure out fuel costs, adjust speeds based on my actual riding habits, etc.

Uncle Phil

Site Supporter
In The Holler West Of Nashville, Tennessee
Bike
4 ST1100(s)
2024 Miles
STOC #
Still running the 2010 version,
Yep, that's the version of AutoRoute that I have installed. I went with 2013 for Streets & Trips. S&T is the only 'mapping' software I've found that has an import feature of a text/CSV file with just addresses that will convert to waypoints on the map.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
S&T is the only 'mapping' software I've found that has an import feature of a text/CSV file with just addresses that will convert to waypoints on the map.
S&T/AutoRoute will also export in *.gpx which could* be used in MapSource or the GPS
(* it'll require some "cleansing" and editing though, as the waypoints will appear randomly numbered and might not be properly placed on the road due to the different map versions, but it enables one to export the grid into MapSource on which you then can nicely rebuild/copy the original tour/route outline.)

S&T/AutoRoute was also avail as GPS-version, so one could install it on a netbook, pair a GPS-receiver/mouse to it and use it directly as satNAV kit.
Probably ideal for trucks and RVs with enough dash-space to place the netbook there.

Bike
2006 ST1300
I'bve always just exported the GPX file straight into my GPS and my routes are always perfect. I can't say the same for how my GPS operates, but that has nothing to do with S&T.

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'bve always just exported the GPX file straight into my GPS...
Fine for like a handful of routes and when your not too interested in name/numbering of routes and WPs...

When I prep like 10~15 routes/stages on my PC the random numbering due the export would create quite a havoc ;-)
Besides that my "ancient" Quest-I doesn't support *.gpx anyway :cool:

But still: all the named features of S&T/AutoRoute would be the valuables addition to MapSource or BaseCamp...
In BaseCamp one can at least now edit [departure], [arrival] and [stop] times in the properties of a route, but not as convenient as in S&T/AutoRoute where its a simple right-click on the WP in the map... or the simple right-click on a POI and selecting [add to route] in the pop-up...

Bike
2006 ST1300
All my routes stay whatever name I give them. If I want to order a multi-stage route, I'll name them something like "nutmeg1" "nutmeg2" etc. Or for a very long trip "leg 1", "leg 2", etc. Never any problems with names or numbers. Just save the GPX file in the GPX folder of the Garmin, unplug the GPS, then import whatever I just saved when I power on the GPS.

Top Bottom