how to figure price of used gear??

Hi all,
Just looking for some input. I bought my 2008 St about a month ago. The person that I bought it from contacted me and said the found in one of their garages a Corbin headed seat and the Corbin smuggler trunk. They asked me if I would be interested in them. I said yes. I received an email yesterday just telling me that new these items go for about $1,300, which I knew from looking on line. And that they are in new condition as they were not used much. No price given.

What do you think would be a fair price. for what it is worth, The wiring for the heated seat is already on my bike, so the seat has no wiring with it.

I am going to email them and ask what they want for them.

Thanks for you opinions.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Many years ago, when I was at a show with a friend, I had some items to sell. He asked me what I wanted for them, and I told him I had no idea what they were worth - that I did not want to give them away, nor did I want to take advantage of someone's ignorance and overcharge them. Paul smiled and told me to look around to get an idea of what similar items were going for, but to never give the price first. He said the first person to mention a number is at a disadvantage and sets the stage for the negotiation. I also know that when you are selling something it is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

Having said all that, I've seen that a lot of used tools go for half the new price, and excellent condition/mint items can go for as much as 75 - 85% of the new price. It really comes down to what you are willing to spend for the seat and trunk. Factor in the condition, what work you will have to do to make the seat work for you, and decide when they give you a price. Remember that one man's 'like new' may not fit your definition. I saw some side covers for a bike on ebay that were advertised as new. There was a dent with a scratch in the middle of the cover. The reply to my question was the cover had never been sold, and despite the dent and scratch, they were 'new'.

If I were you, I would go to ebay and other forums and try to get an idea of what similar seats and trunks sell for used. That would be a good starting point.

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I find it odd that he just happened to "find" the accessories. Is he planning to buy another ST? My guess is that he was holding out and wants to get a bit more by selling the accessories seperately. He could have told you that up front I think. The accessories are worth nothing to the owner without a bike, so I would offer half that....$650 for all of it.

Andrew Shadow

Site Supporter
Bike
2009 ST1300A9
My rule of thumb- if my car loses 30% of its value the second I become the owner of it even though it is still brand new then so does everything else that everyone else buys as soon as they become the owner. This puts the value of something brand new but still "used" at 70% of what a new one is worth. From there another 50% comes off because it is actually a used item and is XX number of years old. So now its value to me as a starting point is 35% of the value of an identical new one. From there the owner is going to have to justify charging anymore than that before I will pay it- which I often do because the particular item in question I have deemed is worth more to me than 35% of its new value.

scootac

Will Ride for Food
How bad do you want the items?
25-30% of new sounds like a starting point if you're not very interested. 40-50% if you are. You can always go up.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Smugglers sell for $250-500 used. Seats $150-300 (depending if it's the front and rear)

I wouldn't offer any more than $600 for both, Start at $500

Personally, I would just try and get the Smuggler.

Bike
2013 Triumph Trophy
My philosophy is that used stuff is worth about 50% of new if in good condition. I miss out on somethings because some people will pay more, but if I'm going to pay 70-75%, I might as well buy new and get the warranty that goes with it it.

I have no problem with selling accessories separate from the bike and don't feel the original owner was under any obligation to tell you he had other parts.

Bike
1200RT, 1200GS
STOC #
I use the "60% rule"....that is, if an item is in really excellent condition (like new) I expect to get 60% of what someone would pay for a new one. This usually holds true, but could fluctuate based on condition and the rarity of the item. Sometimes we have to be patient waiting for the right buyer to come along, so if you get in a hurry, adjust downward. I believe that if we price it much higher than 60%, folks will just head to the new stuff.

I also think that higher prices just encourage shopping and price negotiating.

Silver Bullit

Pearl Black
Bike
06 1300..Black
As most have said if the item is some thing you really want then you make the move on it. 70% to as low as 55% depending on condition and again if its an item you need or want....you must also see how the shipping cost is going to play into the purchase. I just sold a few items and thought I gave a great deal on some parts .the only reason I did it was because I want them gone and money was not the issue for me ...With that said there are some good deals here..

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Why wasn't that stuff part of the deal when selling the bike?
I doubt he "forgot" about it. so, that would say to me he is looking at getting more money from you, why not just through it in with the bike when he sold it to you.
Just seems strange to me is all.

Bike
Triumph Tiger
I'd spend much less money and get a new Russell Day Long seat instead. Much more comfortable.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
STOC #
I bought my Corbin seat(not heated) and the Smuggler('04) in like new condition as a package for $650 shipped a few years ago. Considering the fact that color matched Corbin Smugglers and Honda Pan European Top Boxes are getting scarce, I expect that the asking prices will rise over time. Any price hovering around 50% retail is reasonable in my opinion.

Top Bottom