Helmets Helmet Glut

veefore

See you at my intervention!
Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I headed up to Americade in June with a friend; I'd been quietly contemplating a modular helmet for some time. While we were there I tried on Nolan, Shark and Shoei but seeing as my Arai RX-Q fits me so well I really wasn't serious about purchasing anything........just giving myself food for thought. On our way home we stopped in to a large multi line dealership to kick tires and I strapped my Arai to my Givi rack (through its D rings) prior to going in. The parking lot was a busy place, bikes everywhere.
After about 15 minutes I glanced out of the window of the dealership to see my helmet, sitting upright, next to my front tire. I headed right outside to discover that it either fell off of the bike or got dropped and had a few blemishes.........could well have been me but I'll never know. One of my pre and post ride rituals is to clean and generally be OCD about my helmet.....I know, I have a problem.
The whole thing bothered me and I quietly (you married guys know what I'm talking about) went about shopping for a new helmet. I've had 5 Arais and loved every one........but how about a modular maybe??? So I find an Arai Vector 2 Schwantz re-style on closeout........gotta have it, my favorite rider ever and my RXQ shields will fit. Ordered it, got it, fits great.......story over right? No.
A friend of mine tells me in passing that he has a Nolan N91 new with tags that's too small and he can't return it. I try it on and it fits very well and at a deal I can't say no to.........now I have 2 new helmets...........plus the RXQ that's serviceable...........I need professional help!

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Lol, the Nolan is still at his house.....paid for.......just haven't found the right words.

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Ha, ha, juST tell her you had a deal with me to get rid of one, but it fell through at the laST moment, and you're STuck with two. Wink, wink.

Those in the know use Tapatalk Pro.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
One of my pre and post ride rituals is to clean and generally be OCD about my helmet.....I know, I have a problem…

I try it on and it fits very well and at a deal I can't say no to.........now I have 2 new helmets...........plus the RXQ that's serviceable...........I need professional help!
I feel your pain. Been there. I've got eight helmets sitting on a closet shelf that are way too old be be trustworthy. But back then I sometimes wore a different helmet every time out. I should really chuck 'em. But I'll keep the Simpson no matter what.

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
Funny you say that, this has forced me to actually toss some of my oldest to make room in my riding closet. 90' Christian Sarron Signet anyone?? The liner fell out in my hand when I pulled it out of the box.......:doh1:

Last edited:

STArnie13

R.I.P. - 2020/07/03
Rest In Peace
You have a problem? I have five HJC helmets all fairly new. I got the last one because it was marked down 50%.

gmast1100

Gettin old sux
Bike
2016 Kawasaki Versys
STOC #
I was fortunate to sell a couple of my HJC's but still have a couple left for sale. All in really nice shape and not worn that much. Of course, my favorite HJC has some really bad gouges on the back from sliding down the hiway over 150 feet on my back when I was hit from behind by an uncaring cager. I'll keep that one to look at it every so often and wonder why am I still here????

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
I was fortunate to sell a couple of my HJC's but still have a couple left for sale. All in really nice shape and not worn that much. Of course, my favorite HJC has some really bad gouges on the back from sliding down the hiway over 150 feet on my back when I was hit from behind by an uncaring cager. I'll keep that one to look at it every so often and wonder why am I still here????
I guess I shouldn't complain about a couple of minor dings.......:eek:

SupraSabre

48 Years of SoCal Lane Splitting/Commuting-Retired
Site Supporter
Bike
12/04 ST 1300s
2024 Miles
STOC #
I can relate. I have a brand new Shoei Multitec, still in the box, sitting in my garage. I bought it knowing that by the time I'm ready for another one, they won't be around! :)

And my wife bugs me everytime I show up with a new jacket. She just doesn't understand, when I wear them six months for two seasons, they start showing their wear, zippers quit and the binding around the sleeves and collar wearout! ! :eek:4:

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
And to think I almost said something about (yet another) pair of new shoes she got the other day.....:Chair1:

Bike
2015 Can Am Spyder R
STOC #
I got a new jacket the other month and wore it about 5 times before she said "When did you get that jacket?" I said "Oh I've had it awhile" She said "Looks nice" got out of that one, and yeah, I don't complain about her closet full of shoes.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
Okay, so I'm not the only one... Have four Shoei's and a modular Built that I got for teaching classes (always felt like I was yelling with the full face Shoei on) but like it so I wear that every day. Also have my old jacket in the closet, the zipper needs a replacement and I can't bring myself to toss it out when that's all that's wrong with it.
Riding every day I feel I get more than my money out of the gear... last few weeks I've been itching for another helmet and jacket. :eek::

thepaleobiker

Paleo, Runner, Spiritual, Dancer
Bike
2006 ST1300A "Vikki"
STOC #
I find this very interesting, and almost a sneak-peak into what goes on as you accumulate the miles - You accumulate a lot of riding stuff!

I just have one helmet currently, but I window shop helmets (online - mainly Revzilla.com) atleast an hour each day :eek:: :eek:: The Nolans, Sharks, ARAIs...

OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
All I see is the original purchase price when I look at the boxes......cuz of course I keep those too. I'm running out of room in a big way.
And good god don't get me going on jackets.......there were 6 in there last count.....

Last edited:
OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
So........I wore the blemished RXQ (solid-silver frost) this week on a trip through the White Mountains with my wife.........and managed to talk my way out of a performance award. I'm pretty sure that would not have happened with the new Schwantz vector :think1:
Ms. Veefore says I should get an Oscar for my explanation of my speed to the :law1:, lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
veefore

veefore

Bike
15' BMW R1200RT
STOC #
She is a keeper! Thank god she didn't have to see me resort to :work5:

Bike
2010 ST1300
I find this very interesting, and almost a sneak-peak into what goes on as you accumulate the miles - You accumulate a lot of riding stuff!
Since when did we only accumulate riding stuff? I have tools, parts, materials, books, manuals, instructions, knick knacks, etc...... I've been known to grab a hunk of steel or aluminum that was being discarded by someone because 'it might come in handy someday'. But I'm finally starting to clean a lot of this stuff out.....

Top Bottom