Cost to do a timing belt

Bike
2000 ST1100
STOC #
Anyone have any idea how much it will cost me if I take my 2000 ST1100 to the dealership to get my timing belt changed? They charge $90/hr but have no flat rate on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
What I would recommend is if you want the dealership to do the work, strip the bike of all its tupperware as that will save some cost. That way, the engine and radiator is exposed for easy access for the mechanic, and the job can be done quicker/ more easily, then reassemble the tupperware when you bring the bike home. I would assume they will charge for 5 hours or so (if you strip the bike down) so $450-500 for the job. How many miles on your ST? I'm in the same quandry...14 year old bike but 25,000 miles on it. To swap or not to swap?? I at least want to visually check the belt if I can.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I'm in the same quandry...14 year old bike but 25,000 miles on it. To swap or not to swap?? I at least want to visually check the belt if I can.
Empirical evidence from this forum would suggest your belt is probably OK. One way to visually check it is through the small opening on the front cover used to turn the crankshaft. You can only see an inch or so at a time, so its a bit of a compromise. I can't remember how much of the belt is visible if you take off the plastic extensions to the valve covers, you could try looking in there too.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
It took my dealer 2.5 hours to change my belt, it was around $250 with taxes (Not including the belt $100). I removed the tupperware, they also did a rad flush at the same time. For me it was worth it for them to do it.

kiltman

Site Supporter
Bike
2002,ST1100ABS
STOC #
Wow, that's not bad at all- at how many miles was it done and how recently? Also, did you get the belt back and was it in decent shape?
I had it done over last Christmas holidays. I had 141,000km and my bike is a 1990. The old one was still good, but 24 years old!

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
^^Thanks for the information (everyone)...I think I'm overthinking/ worrying about nothing with mine at 14 years and 25K miles- it's a relative baby (and isn't punished/ ridden hard), but I'll probably do it (the belt) prior to the bike hitting 20 years old.

Bike
1999 ST1100
STOC #
^^Thanks for the information (everyone)...I think I'm overthinking/ worrying about nothing with mine at 14 years and 25K miles- it's a relative baby (and isn't punished/ ridden hard), but I'll probably do it (the belt) prior to the bike hitting 20 years old.
Sounds like a good plan.

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
Update: I installed my NGK Iridium plugs (CR8EHIX-9 Iridium IX) today which took really no time at all. I removed the timing belt inspection cover on the left of the bike (3 bolts under the decorative cover that's in front of the valve cover) and could easily see the belt (this was just with the painted side service cover removed). I bumped the starter to advance the belt so I could see the whole thing. It basically looked new- not brown or anything, and I was able to see white printed numbers on the belt as well. No cracks or contamination noted. Overall, I'm a happy camper- I think I will change the belt, but probably not until the bike is coming up on 20 years of age (it won't have the 90K miles by then unfortunately -that whole work thing gets in the way!). I realize a visual inspection isn't everything, but the belt did look that good!

Bike
st1300
i done mine a couple of months ago appros 35ooomls and 20 years old. old one was like new,,
link below
save it, it might be handy one day.

Top Bottom