Oil Leak mystery ...no not alternator!

Hi all,
I have a 2000 ST1100, last year I replaced the timing belt, the bike had just under 130,000 Kms on it, so I figured it was time :)
No problems with the belt, all went back together with ease, since I have put on just over 1,000 kms, then suddenly a week ago I am losing oil.
When I did the belt, I also checked valves, they were within spec so nothing was lifted, but I did reseal the cam reduction housings with new gaskets while I was up there. So when I started leaking, I thought it must be the two oil seals from the covers, seeing as oil was everywhere. New oil seals, resealed covers, back together dry, 300 KM later, more oil.

Cleaning it all up this time ;) I see oil around the bottom of the water pump housing/cover, on top of the clutch base housing. I would guess without digging too deep that perhaps the clutch cover base gasket is pissing? Has anyone seen this before? It just seems so random for it to all of a sudden start leaking? I resealed the water pump with a new o-ring during the T-Belt change ... but below nothing was touched.

Could it it be that base cover gasket? Or maybe the valve cover gasket inside leaking and dropping down? Doesn't seem logical. Before I open her up again, I was wondering whether anyone had an odd leak like this? I have the scope in there but can't find the source. I really don't feel like lifting the carbs again.... PITA.
Any thoughts are more than welcome!
Thanks for taking the time to read, and any help!

Stan/

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
I'd also check the case vent...
It connects right before the base of #3 (which is the bottom of the w/pump case) and I've seen them hoses cracking, thus venting oil/fumes which distributes/seeps just everywhere...

A twisted inboard side of valve cover gasket might also possible (you can't really see it while applying the cover), which is why I'd learned to simply glue them gaskets onto the cover with a thin layer of Pattex (plus a dip of engine sealer at the corners of the semicircle bits) before placing it back on the head; I also use new grommets/seals for the bolts to ensure the cover gets sufficient pressure.

Top Bottom