Backrest with luggage rack

Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Is anyone using a backrest with some sort of luggage rack under/behind it, in place of a top box? I bought an actual backrest, but I'm sure at some point I'll want the added storage that my top box offered. I just didn't care for the top box. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but it just wasn't my cup 'o tea. I'm thinking just a flat rack for a duffle bag/back pack once in a while....

Thoughts?

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
280.jpg
( click for large, there are 2 other pics in my gallery )

I use the Pirates Lair backrest.... TMK there are no racks that work with it without mod'ing....

I ended making up a simple "T" out of alum stock. It mounts with the bolt that holds the backrest... removes in about 20 seconds. The "T" allows good support of a soft bag I use for travel as the stock rack is very small... any bag of size hangs down over the lights.
As by the pics it increases the rack size by 3x and I usu run a Large soft bag of 20lbs

Cost of item about $10 total

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Would a rack off a GoldWing Tail trunk with fabricated adapter brackets to fit the ST work ?
The big problem with the stock rack of the ST is that it's plastic. It makes it harder to attach anything to. With the prirate lair backrest, the oem rack ( black rectangle part ) is removed and replaced with a steel one ( which supports the removable backrest ).
At least if you want to attach a rack after it has something a bit more solid to do so.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
There's a rack/backrest combo that somebody has for sale here in the forums. It seems pretty reasonably priced given the retail cost of the separate units.

It's a great rack (by bygdawg) professionally welded to a backrest possibly a Pirate's Lair. It looks to be a straight up bolt on mod just replacing the OEM black pad. It might be the way to go but you'd want to off your current backrest.

It's not my item and I have no vested interest in the seller or his item. Just a thought if you haven't seen it already.

There's a rack/backrest combo that somebody has for sale here in the forums. It seems pretty reasonably priced given the retail cost of the separate units.

It's a great rack (by bygdawg) professionally welded to a backrest possibly a Pirate's Lair. It looks to be a straight up bolt on mod just replacing the OEM black pad. It might be the way to go but you'd want to off your current backrest.

It's not my item and I have no vested interest in the seller or his item. Just a thought if you haven't seen it already.
I agree, I'm second in line if the first sale falls through! ;)

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
It's a great rack (by bygdawg) professionally welded to a backrest possibly a Pirate's Lair
Yes... the rack by Bygdawg is a GREAT rack. Like I said tho it requires quite a bit of modding to work with the P lair but could be worth it.
Problem I see is the OP stated he only wanted it "once in a while".
It would be mounted and take a good amount of time to swap out.

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
Like I said tho it requires quite a bit of modding to work with the P lair
Correct. But the rack I was referring to was already modded with a Pirate's Lair backrest. It would be a simple bolt/unbolt thing.

https://www.st-owners.com/forums/showthread.php?139513-ST1300-Bygdawg-Luggage-Rack-amp-Pirates-Lair-Backrest

Getting a rack and a backrest separately and combining them would not be a job for the average guy. Or at least an average guy like me.

Even though the sale is pending if I was in the market I'd PM the owner just in case the pending sale didn't go through.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
Correct. But the rack I was referring to was already modded with a Pirate's Lair backrest. It would be a simple bolt/unbolt thing
That is nice and prob worth the money... Unbolting would take about 15 mins so not bad.

But if it is sold, and he goes with the Pirate Lair backrest ( which is a slide out held by the one bolt) .... not only can can the backrest be removed, but it's easy enough to dril and tap into the metal base for a rack that is also removable... like the one in #7.

Or even a nice piece of painted plywood would work. The main rack supports the weight, the larger area just stops the bag from sagging over edges. If you change out the bolts, make them extra long as the oem bolts are a pain to swap in/out

ST Gui

240Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
ST1300, 2010
If you change out the bolts, make them extra long as the oem bolts are a pain to swap in/out
+1! The bygdawg rack has studs that can't be replaced without some work. I added a brake light that was integrated in the black pad and the short studs made it a real pain to bolt up. And they might be longer than OEM. I had to use some rubber cement to hold everything together while I started the nuts.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13
Is anyone using a backrest with some sort of luggage rack under/behind it, in place of a top box? I bought an actual backrest, but I'm sure at some point I'll want the added storage that my top box offered. I just didn't care for the top box. Not that there was anything wrong with it, but it just wasn't my cup 'o tea. I'm thinking just a flat rack for a duffle bag/back pack once in a while....

Thoughts?
Have you seen this:
http://www.pca-one.com/productDetail.asp?productID=7942

I have it on my bike. It's a nice rack and passenger backrest

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #

Thoughts?
Yup works fine. I think a pirate's lair? bought it off sto. Has hex stud standoffs to mount it. Just used longer hex bolts with the backrest on top of the plate.
Plate was just a hunk of 3/16" aluminum plate from a local metal supplier. Cut it to size with a non ferrous blade in a table saw.
If you don't have access to a mill I suppose you could drill end holes and dremel a channel to connect them to make slots for hold down straps.
I drilled multiple mounting patterns so I could mount it length wise or width wise and over or behind the rear seat.

Tip; take your measurements off the mounted hex standoffs for the mounting pattern not the back rest, my back rest clearence hole centers did not exactly match the threaded holes in the standoffs.

Last edited:
I bough a used 1100, and it came with a corbin that included a bolt on back rest ( for the passenger). if you're not familiar with the 1100....right behind the passenger seat is body plastics and the upper bolt locations for the handholds. I took out the org. hand hold bolts (4 of 'em) and made a smallish luggage rack out of 3/16" aluminum finish size is 8" wide X 3.5" deep- you could make it bigger, but what's the point when this works fine? besides I don't like the idea of getting too much weight beyond the rear axel point.replaced the bolts with longer s.s. ones and rebolted. this plate has no "lash down points". I usually carry a w.p. stuff sack on it( aprox16" dia X 24" long. it sits comfortably on the plate and is lashed to the seat back rest.... the plate just keeps any luggage off the plastics. I didn't want to drill the 1/2" square metal support of the seat back support for fear of comprising the safety of the back seater- on trips where I'm carrying max load I also tie a Sealine portage pack,70L -also lashed to the forward side of the same seat back and sitting on the passenger seat (also doubles as a back rest for the pilot). it all makes a pretty flexable set up....something that a top box, just doesn't offer. hope this helps ya

Last edited:

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
It is isn't it?...LOL. Thanks again. The rack is indeed a grilling rack. I drilled out the rivets that held the stainless handles on the ends.
Heck yes it looks like it will work just fine, maybe you should have left the handles on so you could multi-task with that rack!! :D

Top Bottom