Best Three Routes on a Trip You Have Ridden

Gug

Bike
18' Goldwing Tour
I was thinking while reading here what my favorite routes I rode while on a trip. I have been fortunate to travel across the U.S. and Canada now four times. The latter twice. All of this info I picked up here reading through posts. So I was thinking that posting my favorite three routes along with others chiming in should supply a good variety of routes to run throughout the U.S. and Canada. I am going to include links to Google maps for each choice along with comments on each.

1. Banff N.P. to Jasper N.P. This is my favorite ride I have found in North America. Link

2. Blanding Utah to Zion N.P. This is likely the most diverse 347 miles of scenery in the U.S. Bridges National Monument, Glen Canyon, Grand Escalante Staircase, Capitol Reef N.P., Bryce Canyon and Zion. Link

3. My third is not necessarily a scenic route, although it is. I am even a bit apprehensive to post this being it is not for everyone. Ride at your own risk and take a few stops along the way to hydrate and rest (This is critical). It is CA36, 140 miles of switchbacks, blind drops, lazy S's, declining radius's and too many others to list. Most of the road is listed at 55 mph, just pay attention to the road and let it dictate what your speed is. In most cases you will not be able to do 55 mph. It runs from Hydesville, CA. to Red Bluff, CA. Whoever designed this road must have driven a motorcycle. I believe they did nothing to grade the road and just laid asphalt on it. Link

I will attach a link to this that initially turned me onto this route.

Last edited:
Bike
92 ST1100
Well, since I LIVE in the BEST riding routes, everything from high desert up to and including over 14,000ft., other than different types of scenery elswhere..........it don't get much better than that here:cool::D.

STOC #
1. Utah 12 from US 89 to Torrey link - or just about any two lane in Utah.

2. Million Dollar Highway (US 550) from Durango to Ouray link Looking over the shoulder and seeing nothing but air took some getting used to!

3. Enterprise to Clarkston/Lewiston link

Honorable mention ;) Cherohola Skyway/Deals Gap, Bear Tooth, Spearfish Canyon Road, Devil's Highway (US 191), Going to the Sun in Glacier NP, the list goes on. Crossing the pontoon bridge at Kelowna, Revelstoke to Banff, Around Lake Superior, Fingerlakes region in New York State......

Really tough to stop with only three!

Last edited:
Fred da man.

I'll add the Blue Ridge Parkway, CO Hwy 149 north from South Fork to Hwy 50, Hwy 16 north from the BRP to St. Marys, OH etc etc etc.

Honorable mention for the view at the top THAT paved/dirt road in UT or NV whose name my old brain can't remember. It's kinda near Four Corners. Paved to the base and then dirt to the top where the great view is looking back to the south. Then paved again. :confused:

Firstpeke

NT1100D
Bike
Honda NT1100
STOC #
Well it is a struggle to choose from all the roads available but here are three that stitch together.....

This is route 1.
Dunoon to Inveraray via the A815 and A83, turn on to the A819 under the arches at Inveraray and head up to the junction with the A85, turn left for Oban.
At South Connel turn left onto the A828 and cross the Connel bridge heading for Fort William....
A ways up this road you will find several places to stop for photo opps or food, I recommend the cafe that overlooks Castle Stalker... good food, if a little expensive, and great views!

Carry on up this road until you reach the bridge at Ballachulish and turn right at the roundbout to cross the bridge, this is the A82.

At Fort William there are ample opportunities for lunch, fuel, toilets, accommodation...... the Morrisons supermarket at the far end of the town has the cheapest fuel usually.

Heading through Fort William you continue up the A82 heading for Inverness....

At the junction with the A87 at Invergarry, turn left onto the A87, this road holds many great bends and viewpoints for photo opps.... but try to enjoy it by being sensible as some of the bends have parking areas nearby and cars/buses/bikes do stop suddenly or pull out....

Continue on the A87, which turns left at the junction with the A887... stay on this road until reaching Kyle of Lochalsh...... this road passes the famous Eilean Donan Castle used in many movies.. including Highlander.

Route 2.

Leaving Kyle of Lochalsh, return on the A87 to the junction with the A890 then turn left, heading for Lochcarron.

This road takes you up some very interesting roads with many places to stop for photo opps, there is a laybe at the top of the hill at Stromeferry that overlooks the Loch and it is quite spectacular....
Carry on travelling on this road until you have passed the Strathcarron Hotel, which is to the right over the level crossing, you could stop here for a bite to eat or even to stay!

At the next junction turn left onto the A896 for Lochcarron, another beautiful little village with food stops, accommodation and so on!

Continue to the junction on the left signposted for Applecross, this is the "Bealach na Ba", or "The Pass of the Cattle".... I personally think it is better travelled coming the other waym but you can do that another day!

Travel this road and be prepared to stop often and take some pictures, it can be jaw dropping for both scenery and riding! It can also be bike dropping if you are not careful.....

At Applecross turn left at the end of the road, this is right at the bottom of the hill facing the bay, along here you will find the Applecross Inn, fine food, especially the seafood, of which I prefer the fish and chips!!!

There is camping and there is the hotel, if you prefer budget without canvas (or polyester), then there is a an international youth hostel nearby, there is also the walled garden restaurant that opens early-ish for breakfast if that's your bag!

Leaving Applecross, once fed and watered, take the coast road to the north... this goes around a twisting roller coaster of a road, again all single track and beware oncoming traffic, sheep and DEER, to a junction with the A896, turning left here will take you through Shieldaig to Torridon, again many photo opps and so on.... there is also a fantastic SYHA Youth Hostel at Torridon, which I highly recommend, although advance booking is seriously advised!

After Torridon continue on the A896 to Kinlochewe.

At the junction here turn right on the A832 for Achnasheen, continue through here until the junction with the A835 and turn right.

Continue to the roundabout at the main A9 and turn right for Inverness.

At Inverness there are many many opportunies for eating, sleeping, taking pictures and so on...

Route 3.

From Inverness take the A82 for Fort William, this road goes along through the side of Loch Ness and again, lots of photo opps and eateries....

Continue to Fort William, through FW and continue south along the loch side returning over the bridge at Ballachulish, at the roundabout take the second exit for Glen Coe, be prepared to stop along the next 30 miles or so for photo opps and to just stand and look....
once through Glen Coe you will arrive at Tyndrum where the famous Green Welly is located on the left as you enter Tyndrum, here you can refuel, take a break, get some hot chocolate or a coffee and bacon roll! You can also chat to the numerous bike riders that come and go!

From here continue through Tyndrum to Crianlarich and take the right turn just after passing under the rail bridge, this will take you down the A82 along the side of Loch Lomond to Tarbet, more scenery and eating places! I suggest the little cafe opposite the hydro electric power station at Inveruglas visitor centre...

Continue to Tarbet and turn right at the junction with the A83, through Arrochar and up the ascent to the “Rest and be Thankful”, another place to stop and admire and take pictures....

On down the hill to the junction with the A815 Argyll Forest road, turn left and continue the last 27 miles to Dunoon!

Finished!

These three routes can be ridden easily in a couple of days, but if on holiday, chill out and take a day a section....

If you want more, just let me know!

I know John (JFHeath) has posted routes here before which may be the same or better, but there really are no “bad” riding routes in Scotland!

If you want advice on some more I have plenty up my sleeve, especially further north....

Should you wan these in GPX format for Garmin, let me know, although I think John may already have posted similar.... let me know...

Enjoy.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I like Gug's third choice a lot, in fact it is one of my favorite No. Ca. rides. I am leaving tomorrow morning on Ca.36 over to Fortuna and if the coast is not fogged in, down to Fort Bragg for the night. Probably coming home the same way as doing some of the good roads around Clear Lake will be in triple digits and going back the same way I will only have to fight the heat near Red Bluff.

Ed

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
Just got back this afternoon from my Ca. 36 East to Fortuna, 101 and 1 South to Fort Bragg on the coast. All great roads except for Freeway section on 101. Remind me to never do it during a summer heat attack! Lots of 100+ temps even on 101. Of course it was cool on 1 PCH. Fifty five and fog leaving Fort Bragg at 7:30 this morning, what else is new. 665 miles round trip. Great roads, just picked the wrong weather.

Ed

Bike
2005 ST1300
1. Lewiston ID to Enterprise, Or 3/129 A.K.A The Rattlesnake Grade

2. HWY 20 from Burlington, WA to Hwy 97. A.K.A. North Cascade Hwy

3. Hwy 200 Lake Ponde Rey (sp?) ID to Missoula,MT

Last edited:

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
Britman you must be thinking of Moki Dugway

I like 421 in NC so many good roads in WV can't pick just one. Moonshiner 28 in NC

Bike
2008 ST1300A Red
Not as fortunate as most of you but more than others. I've ridden Cherahoala, Dragon, Moonshiner, BRP (top to bottom), Devils Triangle, Natchez Trace and Skyline.
But to date my favorite routes have to be
3. Moonshiner
2. Hwy 42 Marion, Va. to Tazewell, VA aka Back of the Dragon
1. 219 from Tazewell, Va to Elkins, WV. http://goo.gl/maps/2WBKw
That can't go without mentioning 33 around Seneca Rocks WV

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
You asked for the 3 best that I've Ridden...

okay, I will say that the 3 I list won't necessarily be the best riding roads where you can drag a knee in a corner... however, they are roads I long to go if I'm anywhere in that area, simply due to the experience of being on that road. It may be a great riding road but it may just be a place where you just take in the scenery and appreciate the power of the planet.

1 - Utah 12
2 - Monument Valley
3 - Pacific Coast Highway

Top Bottom