Rounded Phillips Screw Tricks

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
As a retired tech I still see huge numbers of rounded fasteners and still have friends and shops send some nasty ones for removal. I'm a masochist. :crazy

A couple of tricks which may help someone in dealing with rounded out Phillips heads, or better for about to be rounded:

1) Dip the tip of the screwdriver into some valve grinding compound or one of the sure grip type products which are valve grinding compound in a smaller bottle for more money. If you don't have a tin of this stuff, please put it on your list as it saves huge amounts of trouble. Also works well on rounded or about to be, bleeder screws, Allen head screws, hex bolts.

2) Use a gasket hammer (tiny one) to rivet the displaced, rounded socket area of the screw head. When the Phillips drive area rounded out, the metal was displaced to smack the top of the head face to displace steel back into the drive area. Then take a screwdriver bit and use the same tiny hammer to drive the bit into the screw to form a new, perfectly fitting drive socket. Make certain to keep the screwdriver axial to the screw and that usually does it. Nice part is that the screw can be reused in not critical areas such as the sheet metal covers on the little Honda generator in the photos.

3) Here's another I use often: use a very small and sharp chisel with the tiny hammer to make a groove in the side of the screw head. Chisel in radially to get a good notch, then grab a dull chisel of the same size, angle it and use the tiny hammer and chisel to rotate the screw. Once it starts to move, one can usually use a screwdriver or trick #2.

HIH

https://www.dropbox.com/s/li8r7pzvwst46wb/Damaged Phillips.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/mlx7zmg7psa5mk8/Damaged Phillips2.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4n85dha0i9nqma5/Damaged Phillips3.jpg

Bike
2006 ST1300
Best tip- get a set of JIS and don't round them at all. I'm a professional tech and always did what most of us do- just use phillips. Once I got a set of JIS I was shocked how much better they gripped.

Good tips for the stubborn screws. Tapping the screw head also helps break free stuck screws.

bdalameda

PaleoCyclist
Bike
Africa Twin
Best tip- get a set of JIS and don't round them at all. I'm a professional tech and always did what most of us do- just use phillips. Once I got a set of JIS I was shocked how much better they gripped.

Good tips for the stubborn screws. Tapping the screw head also helps break free stuck screws.

+++++++1

JIS scewdrivers will often remove a seemingly stripped out crew head.

Highrider

Part time mechanic
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I find a good impact with a flat punch before you try to remove the screw will shock the screw to where it will release and come out a lot easier. This works well on larger engine bolts and bracket fasteners. A time tested trick I learned from a mechanic friend a long time ago. For philips screws, the same punch can be used to repair the rounded drive slots. On a motorcycle the softer philips screws that are used makes this practice easier.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
Best tip is to replace them with socket head screws!!!
Once and done.
This one is a good candidate LINK

phillips screws were designed to cam out (and screw up the head) to prevent over torquing.
iirc the japanese cross point head and matching JIS screw driver aren't.

Some have used the chisel trick to walk the flange of the oil filter off after the screwdriver thru the can twisted it apart.
..or you could put the torque wrench back in the box before installing an oil filter :D

Good tips Norm.

Last edited:

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #

Both good tips. It's just crazy how poorly a Phillips driver works on a JIS. Even if it removes it there is usually deformation of the slots.

Top Bottom