Helmets Rode with my RF1100 for the first time in over a year after wearing the Neotec.

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Ok, so I like my Neotec, or did. Wore my RF1100 for the first time on about a year. First thing I noticed is it fits better/no tight spots at all.Not that the Neotec fits bad, the 1100 just feels better.

One thing that irritates me about Shoei is they will not make a tinted shield for the Neotec. When riding in hot weather in blazing sun it just radiates more heat into the helmet with the clear shield and flip visor down.

My 1100 has a dark smoke shield and even with it down with sunglasses I can see the GPS/speedo readout on the GPS much better than the Neotec with the sunvisor down w/sunglasses. Maybe it's because the flip down shield is closer to my eyes.:confused:

Another thing I noticed is how much quieter it is than the Neotec. It's quieter with all the vents open than the Neotec with it's vents closed.

It's too bad because I like the flip function.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I agree. Full face are smaller, lighter, better fitting, quieter than modular but the price you pay is they're hotter in warm weather & somewhat antisocial or maybe just a hassle when riding in groups.

I still like my RF1000 a lot, but based on its age I guess I should have pitched it a few years ago.

ST_Jim

In the Hotel California...
Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Yeah - I'm in the same boat with an RF1000. If I could get a Neotec in Blue I'd probably already have one. As it is I'm trying to decide between Anthracite, White, or Brilliant Yellow. I'm slightly concerned about the lighter colors reflecting in my GPS more.

Looks like you also can't get either a smoked shield or a colored pinlock with the Neotec. I'm always switching shields on my RF1000, day to night - and I think the dark shield does keep the heat down.

Everything's a compromise.

Bike
ST1300/GSX1300R
I have both RF1100 and NeoTec, I usually use the NeoTec because of the convenience. I like the RF a lot though. Here's the news though:
Shoei is releasing a photo-chromatic shield for the RF. I guess it'll be for the new RF1200 first. I'm hoping for the NeoTec version, like Jim said, the NeoTec has several drawbacks, but a photo-chromatic shield would go a long way to helping solve this.
RevZilla has them up for preorder, about $150.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/shoei-cw-1-photochromic-pinlock-ready-face-shield

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
That's the thing that bugs me the most about the Neotec. Not having a tinted shield. I was in contact with Shoei about a smoked shield and they said there was one in the works but that never happened

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Anyone want to split shipping on a shield? It's only about $10 more shipping for 2.

Byron

STOC #
I'm not familiar with the Neotec, other than the name so I looked it up. According to what I read it has a flip down tinted visor built into the helmet. Is this only on the new models?

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
Yes they do have a flip down visor. If you read my first post you can see why I don't really like it.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I expect you've thought of getting your visor tinted. How much can that be? Are there reasons not to? My aftermarket tinted truck windows look factory and are holding up well. A visor is prolly even a DIY job (?)

ESB

STRIDER
Bike
'07 ST 1300
Have a great, trustworthy, high mileage RF1000 - Always liked the Shoei RF Series - GOOD shields & fit for me - BUT, Time for an upgrade, so might look at that RF1200 or the NEOTEC. Gotta find the one that VENTS the best.
Like the NEOTEC , with the internal Sun Visor, but not sure I wanna go Modular & never have had any trouble with a clear shield and good sunglasses = no shield changes. Think the QUEST is more oriented for Touring, with better Venting - so, lots of choices; gotta pick 1 out & go with it. Good Luck

Byron

STOC #
Yes they do have a flip down visor. If you read my first post you can see why I don't really like it.
Sorry, just read over it without realizing. When I read no tinted visor I missed the flip down part.

I personally don't like wearing glasses so no sunglasses here. On my Shoei's I've always purchased Spectra shields so I couldn't figure why they didn't have one for the Neotec. When I read they had the flip-down tinted visor like my Scorpion EXO-1000 I understood, why put tint over tint.

The only thing I didn't care with the EXO was the flip-down tinted visor sometimes did not come down low enough. As far a building up heat, I simply cracked open the visor a little if the vents don't provide enough ventilation.

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Have a great, trustworthy, high mileage RF1000 - Always liked the Shoei RF Series - GOOD shields & fit for me - BUT, Time for an upgrade, so might look at that RF1200 or the NEOTEC. Gotta find the one that VENTS the best.
Like the NEOTEC , with the internal Sun Visor, but not sure I wanna go Modular & never have had any trouble with a clear shield and good sunglasses = no shield changes. Think the QUEST is more oriented for Touring, with better Venting - so, lots of choices; gotta pick 1 out & go with it. Good Luck

The Shoei GT-Air helmet has the flip down visor in a full face shell. In fact it uses the same visors as the Neotec.

Bike
1991 Honda Goldwing
Glad you posted this. I was thinking about buying a Neotec and never considered these things. I have an Arai RX-Q with a dark smoke shield that I really like. Only problem is morning commutes I can't see a thing with it down. I put the clear one back on and just wear sunglasses when I need to. I'm wanting to buy a 2nd helmet but maybe that isn't too smart. A photochromatic shield would be just the ticket.

Bike
FJR & Super Tenere
STOC #
I thought I remembered reading that the tint didn't play well with plastic.
I've also seen Youtube videos where guys buy a small bottle of liquid tint made for just such a thing. High school football players are big on it apparently.

The tint gets added to a pot of water. Heat it up. Dip your visor in. It comes out tinted. The longer you leave it in the darker it gets. Worked perfectly on the vid. YMMV ;-)

Or you can buy tinted pin lock inserts. Universal fit. Saw them the other day at the Twisted Throttle store here.

I know, ... none of these options are as good as factory tinted screen. :shrug2:

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I bit the bullet and ordered a tinted shield from Europe. Cost me $78 U.S. I'm betting I'm the only person in the U.S. with a tinted shield on a Neotec.

shoeishield.jpg

ST_Jim

Bike
2004 ST1300ABS
STOC #
How does the tinted shield work with the flip down visor? Does it get too dark?

Although I'm usually riding with my lightly tinted prescription sunglasses. Tinted shield + flip down dark visor + sunglasses might get to be a little too much!

OP
OP
Throttlejockey

Throttlejockey

Padden is my hero
Bike
06 ST1300
STOC #
I won't be using both at the same time. I would only use the flip down visor if I had the clear shield. The tinted shield is pin lock ready also.

Top Bottom