2009 R1200GS w/ panniers & only 10k miles

GeneDavis

STOC 0184
Bike
2009 BMW R1200GS
STOC #
For sale near me right now, in the Namibia orange color, new tires, very clean, tall aftermarket windscreen.

Had been about to get a new Suzuki Vstrom 1000 and by the time I put panniers on it my cost will be $2K more than if picking up this Beemer.

Equivalent weight and power, but I know Japanese reliability.

What do you think?

Bike
2006 ST1300
Pluses for the GS- Shaft drive, huge aftermarket following, top notch bike.

Pluses for the Vee- Super reliability, also a huge aftermarket following, and a lot cheaper to own in the long run.

ANYTHING for that BMW is going to run you a lot of $$$. The $2k you think you saved will be used up in a couple of services or one repair. The Suzuki would be under warranty; the BMW will set you back big bucks the first time something breaks. If it were me, I'd take the Suzuki.

Capt_Gruuvy

Stay-at-Home Astronaut
STOC #
I had an R series BMW in the past. I put 70k on it with no real expenses. I really like both bikes you mentioned and there is something to be said about the warranty.

The bottom line is which one do you see yourself smiling the widest when riding. If you are going to second guess buying the BMW you'll never really enjoy it.

Buy the one that makes you happy.

STOC #
I own a 2007 R1200GS since new. Before that a heavily farkled vStrom. To be fair the new vStrom is not the same, but having owned both I much prefer the GS. No chain to maintain. Engine is smoother (after break-in). Materials and fasteners are higher quality. I wasn't unhappy with the Strom, but like the GS better. I haven't spent a nickle on the GS other than maintenance and farkles. Services cost? Change the fluids, occasional valve adjustment you can easily do yourself, balance the throttle bodies even easier. Far easier than a valve check or adjust on an ST1300. I spent more money on sprockets and chain for the vStrom.

I will say that the stock BMW shock absorbers of that era were junk, worst of any bike I ever owned. I'm a suspension junkie, maybe more fussy than most, so I changed them for something better from Elka. The stock vStrom shocks were better than stock BMW.

okckeith

Site Supporter
Bike
2017 Triumph Trophy
Re: 2009 R1200GS w/ panniers & only 10k miles

Pluses for the GS- Shaft drive, huge aftermarket following, top notch bike.

Pluses for the Vee- Super reliability, also a huge aftermarket following, and a lot cheaper to own in the long run.

ANYTHING for that BMW is going to run you a lot of $$$. The $2k you think you saved will be used up in a couple of services or one repair. The Suzuki would be under warranty; the BMW will set you back big bucks the first time something breaks. If it were me, I'd take the Suzuki.
I agree 100%.

Bike
BMW K1600GT
I just recently purchased a 2008 R1200 GSA with 100K. The previous owner took great care of it. I've already put about 6K on it in less than 6 weeks. The maintenance is dirt simple and can be easily done yourself. The ESA shocks can be rebuilt if you know who to go to. The clutch job is expensive because the bike must be broken in half figure about $1200-1700 (8hours of labor). The stock seat is brutal. Other than that, no issues. Fuel range of 350 to 400 miles depending on how hard you are on the throttle. There are a ton of parts avail both new, used, and rebuilt. The Vstrom is a nice bike but not even in the same league (it's a toy). The GSA is a serious adventure bike and was purpose built to be a world tourer. It shows it. I find myself riding it more than the K1600 now.

Top Bottom