Retiring soon and I have a Question about tents.

Bike
2007 ST1300
I am retiring in September. I plan on traveling solo to the Outer Banks from Chattanooga tn and then heading South to Stewart Florida sometime in the middle to late October. I would like to camp rather than stay in a motel. I have done this years ago, but it's been quite some time. What is the best single man tent that would be practical for travel on an ST1300 (if they even make one)? Any help will be appreciated. Tent and blanket will be all I use. No cooking, coffee making etc....just stop eat, hit the campground, sleep, eat breakfast at a waffle house and down the road I go. Ya know? Ideas, suggestions are very welcome.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
best means different things to different people. The first question is do you plan on camping if there's a threat of rain? If you want to stay dry in a downpour, then don't go cheap. If you just want to keep the bugs out, that's a simpler requirement to meet.

Mellow

Joe
Admin
Bike
'21 BMW R1250RT
2024 Miles
Just a tent and blanket? Well, my advise would be a good backpacking tent, marmot makes a good one and I'd go with a 2 man tent. Mountainsmith makes a tent called the Morrison 2 which is only about 18" long packed and will fit in the saddlebags easily enough.

Then, I would get an expend 7.5 synmat and a pillow/pump they sell which will help pump the mattress. Then at least a 40 degree down sleeping bag.

That's my advise, it may not be what you asked for but I feel it's the best way to go.

OP
OP
Randall53
Bike
2007 ST1300
Thanks! Both of you helped me more than you know. I've already found my tent Eureka! Solitaire, which is 17" x 4". Mattress (took Mellow's advise) and already have my blanket (very lightweight wool I've had for years from deer hunting days) I believe it will all fit in one saddlebag with room left over. That leaves top box and another saddlebag for the rest. Small tool kit I already have, tire repair kit with Airman compressor.

STimpa

Livin my best life!
Bike
05 ST1300
STOC #
Wow! That went fast... I guess I get to save my .02 for another situation :)
O well, I'm glad you got what you needed.

Bike
2019 GL1800
STOC #
when I got my ST I thought "smaller =better" so I got me a one man tent, I spent one night in that thing and got rid of it quick. TOO SMALL!! I have a 3 man Big Agnes that works great, I would never go smaller.

VFR

"Uncle Larry"
You want to talk to Tom Padden! He has a one man tent that he uses sometimes. He folds this tent up with the mattress & sleeping bag in it. Rolls the tent out, sets up the poles, Done!!!

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
Take all your stuff you will be carrying and set up camp in the back yard. Set up your sleeping stuff and crawl in and try it out for fit. Don't forget your riding gear. Where you going to store it overnight? I found a 2 man tent wasn't big enough. I went over board and bought a big tent. I can fit a queen size mattress and have room on 2 sides of it. The packed size isn't that much bigger and it is worth it for the comfort.

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
There used to be a line of motorcycle bags made by Helen2Wheels. One of the things mentioned for packing was to keep your dry stuff (sleeping bag, pillow, etc.) separate from the other stuff (tent, tent poles). Set the tent up in the rain and then take the dry stuff into the tent to unpack it. It has a better chance of staying dry.

rjs987

Robert
Site Supporter
Bike
2022 Kymco AK 550
2024 Miles
STOC #
Taking this another step... I bought a 12ft Kelty tarp to set up first. Then I can setup the tent under the tarp and keep even that dryer. I also keep the tent and tarp packed separately from the "inside the tent" stuff. Most is packed in drybags, one for the tent and tarp, one for the sleeping bag/pad and clothes. Anything else goes in the paniers.

:plus1: on practicing set up in the back yard or a nearby campground including everything you will have with you on the bike. Also a good idea to pack the bike with everything first and then riding to the back yard, unpack and set up, just to verify what you can bring and have room for and to see what changes you need to make before you get far from home. :)

Bike
2003 ST1300
Take all your stuff you will be carrying and set up camp in the back yard. Set up your sleeping stuff and crawl in and try it out for fit. Don't forget your riding gear. Where you going to store it overnight? I found a 2 man tent wasn't big enough. I went over board and bought a big tent. I can fit a queen size mattress and have room on 2 sides of it. The packed size isn't that much bigger and it is worth it for the comfort.
Ditto your thoughts. I have found a 3 man tent selling for $39 at Big 5 sporting goods keeps the rain and bugs out as well as a $250 tent from REI. Buy a big cheap tent and throw it in a $29 stuff sack. The 10 lbs won't make a difference on your bike. DO splurge for the most comfortable mattress, which may be at REI. Best of luck to you.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I have found a 3 man tent selling for $39 at Big 5 sporting goods keeps the rain and bugs out as well as a $250 tent from REI.
Curious what other people's experiences are regarding that, its hard to argue with a man from Olympia regarding rain protection.

Back in the '80s on a backpacking trip we had two tents, I had a small REI tent and my roommate had a Big5 (or similar). Ran into an afternoon storm up around 11-12k ft and his didn't fare so well. He and his buddy who was sharing the tent spent the afternoon trying to dry out their stuff, and I think they ended up fairly miserable that night because it never got warm enough to really dry everything out and it goes down to freezing at those elevations at night. He went to REI and bought a good tent immediately after that trip. Ever since that lesson I've never bought anything less than a good name brand tent, but maybe the cheaper ones work better these days. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to keep water out of a dome, so maybe they've improved their designs over the years. I think the problem then was they cheaped out on the rainfly and part of the tent was exposed to the rain, whereas the better tents had more full coverage rainflies.

Bike
2003 ST1300
Curious what other people's experiences are regarding that, its hard to argue with a man from Olympia regarding rain protection.

Back in the '80s on a backpacking trip we had two tents, I had a small REI tent and my roommate had a Big5 (or similar). Ran into an afternoon storm up around 11-12k ft and his didn't fare so well. He and his buddy who was sharing the tent spent the afternoon trying to dry out their stuff, and I think they ended up fairly miserable that night because it never got warm enough to really dry everything out and it goes down to freezing at those elevations at night. He went to REI and bought a good tent immediately after that trip. Ever since that lesson I've never bought anything less than a good name brand tent, but maybe the cheaper ones work better these days. It doesn't seem like it should be that hard to keep water out of a dome, so maybe they've improved their designs over the years. I think the problem then was they cheaped out on the rainfly and part of the tent was exposed to the rain, whereas the better tents had more full coverage rainflies.
A high quality tent will likely outperform a cheap tent in a mountain storm. The "cheap" tent I bought for $39 is also marketed with a Coleman tag for about twice the price. It will stay dry in heavy rain, but if you want a mountaineering tent that will take whatever Mother Nature throws at it, you may want REI. I had a 2 man Eureka Timberline that was the only tent standing the morning after a Nebraska tornado. I remember 2 things about the tornado: it sounded like a freight train, not like a lot of wind. I also remember downing about a fifth of Scotch (just to increase my ballast, not because I like 12 year old Scotch) because I didn't want to feel like Dorothy getting my ***** kicked by a storm.

Today I received a Big 5 Sports flyer: Arroyo Creek Dome tent, 8' X 8' with 56 inch center, with fly and taped seams: $34.99.

Tor

Making Life A Ride
Site Supporter
Bike
R1200 GSA / S1000XR
If you are camping alone, you would want a 2-man tent. If you want a high quality 2-man tent that packs extremely small, look into Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2.

Appalachian

No, the OTHER left!
Bike
Ever evolving
Two words: Mountain Hardwear. Light, compact, bomb shelter durable, excellent venting, and water proof in up to 2-3" of standing water. You pay for what you get. Just packed this one on the the Bird an hour ago for a quick overnight with my girl to the Smokey's tomorrow :) I have 3 of their models, never moto tour or go back country without one.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/skyledge-3-dp-|-304-|-none-786559896010.html

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Two words: Mountain Hardwear. Light, compact, bomb shelter durable, excellent venting, and water proof in up to 2-3" of standing water. You pay for what you get. Just packed this one on the the Bird an hour ago for a quick overnight with my girl to the Smokey's tomorrow :) I have 3 of their models, never moto tour or go back country without one.

http://www.mountainhardwear.com/skyledge-3-dp-|-304-|-none-786559896010.html
$550.00 !!!! I'm sure it's a quality product, or wants to be for that price, but for those # of dollars, I'd get a lot of comfy motel beds instead!:D

Top Bottom