When Is One Too Old To Ride?

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
When I first replied to this thread in 2008 I had no idea whet the next 6 years would bring. My riding partner of 42 years, my wife, has since had 2 knee replacements and a hip replacement. Our once yearly around the country motorcycle trips together are now a thing of the past. I had planned on retiring early at 62 so that we could ride more, but now that has turned into I can ride more as she is not comfortable for more than 50 mile rides. In June I rode out to California, a dream trip for me to ride the PCH and see the Pacific Ocean. Normally she would have been with me. I made the trip with a buddy instead who also retired and wanted to ride RT 66, so we combined the trips. I had planned a trip to Tahoe to visit a nephew. We would have ridden, now we are flying and renting a car.

sometimes life changes things

Btw my goal has always been to ride until I am 70. Anything more than that will be gravy. Family history says I won't be around a decade after that, and medically that decade could be rough. Who knows maybe I will defy family history and ride into my 80 s. As it is I ride nearly everyday. Missed one day last month and so far one day this month. I miss my wife riding with me.

Last edited:

STinner

Retired
Bike
2016 Goldwing
2024 Miles
its interesting that i come across this discussion as i'm planning retirement at 60. After 35 yrs in the building trades my body has also started to tell me things that were foreign 5 yrs ago. 2 yrs ago i stopped riding my ST1300 and bought a Goldwing along with its extra 200lbs. i am still very capable of man-handling the wing but for how long? i've decided not to dwell on certain facts and live the life the Lord has given me. i thank him also for advil ;) i still have the lower 48 to ride through and plan to see my sister in washington state. losing 35 lbs in the last 5 mnths has been a plus as i head into retirement. saw an article in a honda riders magazine a few years back about a 90+ gentleman still riding his wing after his wife died. you won't see me there. am looking for a sprite 60 yr old lady to accompany me for the road.........but who am i fooling' !

live life......its a gift

Dave

Bike
ST1300A
I met a fellow rider that was struggling some with the early stages alzheimers. His memory was fading and he had trouble telling some stories and apologized right out for probably not remembering my name when we were introduced. He had been a life-long rider and long-distance tourer. Later he told me his daughter would like him to stop riding (his wife has already passed) but that he just enjoys it so much, some days it's his reason to get out of bed.

"Besides" he told me smiling and pointing at his GPS. "I always know where I'm at and where I'm going. Even when I don't."

God bless him. What a positive outlook, what strength. We can only hope to be so lucky.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #
I have days even at my age where I start out for work on the bike and turn around and take it home. I never want to be the cause of someone's injury because I am not on task or my reaction time is suffering. As many have said in earlier threads that depends on each individual. I just hope that when the time comes I am smart enough to make the decision before it is made for me. If I'm not I hope my loved ones make it rather than me doing something stupid and causing damage or injury.

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
I am not planning on giving up riding anytime soon. Looking forward to Westoc this September in Fortune Ca. I will turn eighty a couple weeks later and have ridden most of the great roads in the area for years. Of course there is a risk involved, but that was there from the beginning. I have so far outlasted a very aggressive bout with prostrate cancer and two total anterior hip replacements. I healed very fast from the hip surgery and the doc said my bones were in good shape. Funny thing, during the first five years of owning my '03, I dropped it several times but not since and I know I was stronger then. I have been lucky and I know it. I have no interest in a Can Am, if I can't lean it into a curve, I'm done.

Ed

Bike
ST1300
When is one too old to ride? I'm 74 years young. Leaving tomorrow to see a buddy of mine in Van Buren, Arkansas from Alexandria, LA. About 400 plus miles. I used to ride Gold Wings. My last 1800 was an '02 and I put 143,000 miles on it. Then one day at my dealer's show room I spotted a 2008 beautiful Candy Apple Wineberry ST1300. I have been riding this ST for 2 years now and really like it. Am not riding as much as I used to because I am racing vintage motorcycles in motocross and hare scrambles with AHRMA (American Historic Racing Motorcycle Association). Remember, you don't quit riding because you get old, you get old because you quit riding.

the Ferret

Daily rider since May 1965
Bike
21 NC750 14 CB1100
2024 Miles
74 and racing motocross? I'm afraid you are the exception to the rule, but I bow to you sir. I raced Motocross until I was 30 and found myself no longer able to bounce back from the crashes/ injuries so well... Don't know how you do it. Heck at 64 I get hurt working in the yard these days lol

I did just ride 5424 miles in 11 days averaging 493 miles a day on a ride to the west coast and back, and have managed to rack up over 14,000 miles so far this year.

Last edited:

STill STylin

Red is ALWAYS faSTer
Bike
2005 ST1300A
STOC #
Dunno, but hope we find out soon. A bit boring hangin' out wait in' fer the eldeST to respond.

Thank you,
-Elliot

MajorTom

QuickBlue
STOC #
I'm coming up on my 61st birthday and am still riding regularly and for long trips when the opportunity and work schedule enables me to. I missed riding for many years while raising our kids, but now that they're, more or less, independent I'm back on the road and will stay there until my health no longer allows me to ride.

Bike
2004 ST1300A
I didn't start riding until I purchased my first bike in 2001 at the age of 57. Now at the age of 69 I'm in no hurry of giving up my little adventures. Annual spring trip with the guys to North Georgia. This past June, four of us went to Colorado, Utah and New Mexico and horror upon horrors we did trailer the bikes out there and back from Louisville, Ky. This coming Sept my wife and I are going to the BRP and spend a few days there exploring around Little Switzerland, NC. Yes, there and back the motorcycle will be on a trailer. I find that I'm not as aggressive as I once was. I usually ride in back and the others are kind enough to wait for me at intersections.

Here is a link to our trip to Colorado, I'd be the guy with the white helmet and red jacket:

http://youtu.be/fZWp_AA3ieg

DavidT

Bike
1992 ST1100
STOC #
I'm 67 and just got back Home in Indy from Colorado. 2500 mile round trip alone.

I think riding helps keep me sharp.

You got to pay attention to your your own situation.
If you begin to feel uncoodinated or confused or not thinking sequentially maybe then you should not ride.

Bike
1991 Honda Goldwing
When you have to tow-pac a Can Am.......You are too old!!!!!!
One of my neighbors has a black Can Am. He looks to be around 75'ish. Him and his wife come flying by my house like they just stole that bike. I just dont have the nerve to yell "hey slow it down!" They probably wouldn't hear me anyways.

Bike
BMW K1600GT
If you are posting a thread about "How do you know when you are too old to ride?", then you are too old to ride:D

Bike
'08 ST1300
--balance and ability to focus on and retain your train of thought are a few of the first things to go;

--now what was I talking about????

Top Bottom