swing arm maintance write up

is there any other write up on how to do the swing arm...I have book marked Mike Martin's pan European site, but feel the need for more information...most of my maintenance is done during the winter months, and for once I'm starting my research early has anyone welded on this assembly- without distorting it?

Last edited:

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
Well, "maintenance" would mean visual inspection and checking the bearings (basically by wiggling to see if their loose/worn)

Seeing "welding" being mentioned would mean a repair... (rotten cross member?)

The problem I see with a 'simple patch' placed over a damaged area, that this doesn't remove/stop any rust inside... it will continue to decay, now even less visual then before...
Welding seems generally problematical, high chances the heat/cool/contraction starts to warp, twist, misalign something... to avoid that, one must first build a solid rig fixing the to be repaired swing-arm on several critical points... and there is still some risk that the thing might deform during the process...

To me a good, sustained solution seems to acquire a used swing-arm in good condition, add/widen some drainage bores in the relevant cross-member, utilize some top grade cavity protection, and use some proper primer plus protective paint (several thin layers) on the outside (maybe getting it sand-blasted first, but this will dirty-up all cavities, thus make the use/effect of WaxOil or whatever is used more difficult).

Then install new swing-arm bearings, packed with sufficient amounts of marine grease, apply some silicone grease on the V-ring seals, and assemble the whole thing with proper torque on the pivot bolts/lock-nut.

OP
OP
Yeah, that was also my take on welding. I don't anticipate anything amiss with my swingarm. But might look in to powder coat finish for the outside. Inside I might go with an oil coating fourmulated for use in welded steel aircraft tubbing. Am I right to think it takes only one factory tool to unscrew the cover caps ,to remove the bearings? Can this tool be made?

ST1100Y

Site Supporter
Bike
ST1100Y, ST1100R
STOC #
But might look in to powder coat finish for the outside.
hmm, I personally am not totally convinced of powder coating...
To me there always seems a chance that some unseen cavity persists, in which humidity gets trapped, doing its corrosive work unseen... (like with that Teroson car-underbody stuff...)
I'm a fan of proper groundwork, use of an excellent rust-preventing primer and some thin layers of coating.
If it rusts again, I'll have at least a chance to spot it.

Inside I might go with an oil coating fourmulated for use in welded steel aircraft tubbing.
ACF-50 comes to mind... ;-)

Am I right to think it takes only one factory tool to unscrew the cover caps ,to remove the bearings? Can this tool be made?
You'll need a special tool to work the locking nut on the LHS pivot bolt + a 17mm allen bit.
The tool is avail on Ebay and other sources, just look for "swingarm removing tool" on this forum.

Bike
92 ST1100
If going to the trouble to remove swing-arm, and REALLY want to protect it from the elements FOREVER, take it to a place that shoots bedliner material;) The absolute best option of this is the places that shoot Line-X:). ANY other bedliner option is a waste of money, period.:).

Top Bottom