Fender Extender Installation

Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
Thought I would post this fender extender (aka Fenda Extenda) installation using the glue on method. Hopefully I'm not duplicating an already existing thread. It wasn't done on a ST but it's a pretty generic job so it will work on any bike.

I put a fender extender on my 1250 Bandit and attached it with JB Weld. I guarantee you, the fender will break apart before that extender comes off!

I chose to glue it because I didn't want to drill holes in my fender and it would just look better.

Here's how I went about attaching it to the Bandit. The method for doing the ST would obviously be the same:

First step is to cover any surfaces on the fender and the extender that might accidentally get JB Weld slopped on it.

Then rough up the mating surfaces with coarse sand paper...

Then apply JB Weld & very quickly wipe excess off...

Here is the final product. VERY firmly affixed to the fender and looks good. No holes drilled and no screws sticking up.

Fender_Taped_600.jpg

Extenda_Sand_600.jpg

Fender_Sand_600.jpg

Fender_JBW_600.jpg

Fender_OnBike_640.jpg

Last edited:
Bike
'07 ST 1300 & '91 GW
STOC #
When I put the Fenda Extenda on my ST1300, I installed it with the fender on the bike. Since there was only about 20 mm between the tire and the fairing's "chin" , I put spacers on both sides of the Extenda to make sure it would be in the middle after I glued & clamped & it cured in place .

Bike
2007 ST1300
I put one of these on and it eventually (over time and many bumps in the road) cracked my fender from the stress of the glue etc... $169.00 later and a new fender, I opted to go straight stock and not put another one on.

Greg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mick
Bike
'16 Versys 650LT
STOC #
That's disconcerting .

Maybe a brace ?
Here's my reply concerning this that I made in another thread:

One way to look at it is which is going to cost more if something goes wrong... 1.) a punctured radiator from a rock flying up from the front wheel that a fender extender could have stopped?... or 2.) a cracked fender that has to be replaced or repaired?

I put the extender on the Bandit because the radiator and chromed pipes were totally exposed because of no fairing. The rear end of the front fender was also quite high. I'd read several reports of folks having their radiators punctured so thought the Fenda Extenda was a good investment. The extender had the added effect of protecting the Bandit's nice, shiny, chrome pipes from being pitted by sand and gravel flying up from the wheel.

I haven't added an extender to the ST yet, primarily because it has partial protection via the front fairings. If I ever get back to doing the multi-day, long distance touring that I use to do, I think I would seriously consider a Fenda Extenda. A cracked front fender is not that big a deal to me compared to being stuck out in the middle of nowhere with a trashed radiator.

Top Bottom