FI light on - thoughts

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
Yesterday, my Fuel Injection light came on as usual when i turned on the ignition switch, but didn't go off when I started the bike. A while later it went off, but the bike would cut out if I let off the throttle and surge when I gave it throttle. Even at steady throttle, it would surge on and off, almost as if I was cycling the kill switch. The light came back on later, and when the light was on, it ran fine, but when the light went off it would perform as indicated above. Today it functioned normally when I rode to work. Am I about to lose my fuel pump?

Sorry if this is not the right forum for this but I didn't see a good match for this in the tech forums - moderator, feel free to move it as necessary.

Bike
'15 FJR ES
You need to be able to read the FI code. We cannot diagnose the issue without that.

Next time the FI light comes on put the bike in neutral and put the kickstand down without killing the motor. Then count the flashes your FI light gives you. You may see flashes of different time lengths. The long flashes count as 10, the short flashes count as 1.

Bike
st1300 '04
STOC #
+1 on reading what the bike is trying to tell you. Catch the code(s).
Has anybody done any maintenance just before this happend. In storage for awhile before this event...?

Surging can be a fuel pump but check the codes.

ECM quick guide.
LINK

Last edited:
OP
OP

STOC# 6863
Bike
ST1300
STOC #
I'll try to check the codes if it happens again. As I said, it seems normal today. Yesterday was the first time it has happened, and "ol' blue" has 106,000 miles! I replaced the rear tire the day before, but no other recent maintenance. Thanks for replying.

Top Bottom