help with ST1300 fuel tank rod stay measurement?

Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
Would and kind soul be able to measure thier tank rod holder (dont get wise, it's not that type of website..
)

The "stay" is located under the pillion seat, under the left side of the rubber tool bag strap)

Mine was missing from when I bought the bike....

I have been using para-cord (string) to hold the tank upwards. I attach to the front neck hole and to the rear grab handle, it works well, but I would like to have the original rod.

I have just made one using a long tent peg, just want to confirm if possible?
many thanks

OP
OP
Bike
ST1300 ABS 2005
Hi 2005RedRider, Many thanks for the lightning fast reply! :)

much apreciated

regards,

Zev

jfheath

John Heath
Site Supporter
Bike
2013 ST1300 A9
2024 Miles
STOC #
If you have bar risers fitted, you might want a different length. One end of the rod is supposed to rest in the socket of one of the bolt heads for the bar mounts. With bar risers fitted, that is too high. I end up putting mine into the hole where the tank bolts go - which doesn't gain enough height for some jobs.

Do not, under any circumstances, try to make a rod that would raise the tank higher, without having a large fire extinguisher handy. That cable keeping the tank down is there to protect the wide fuel hose that joins the upper to the lower tank. Raise the tank above its limits and that hose connection will suffer.

Bike
2010 ST1300
Better yet, as someone else suggested in a similar thread not long ago, run the gas down to two bars - the top tank will now be empty. Disconnect the big fuel hose from the lower tank. Do all the usuall unbolting and sliding rearward, then tilt the tank up and back, resting it on a heavy (but soft) tarp. You now have unlimited access to the air box. Secure the tank w/ a bungee cord.

Top Bottom