Motorcycle thefts (some) facts, STats and prevention

STurgisSTeele

When did I become the "Old Man"!?
Bike
01 ST1100A (RIP)
STOC #
Thanks for sharing! I also checked out their link on group riding. Stuff I already knew, but worth a refresh.

Bike
2014 Yamaha FJR1300A
They give the makes but not the models. It would be handy to know if exactly what we ride is vulnerable to being swiped. Who would want to steal an ST for instance? I rode a ZG1000 Kawasaki Concours for 10+ years and I never worried about it being stolen, who the heck would want the thing? Now I ride a brand new FJR and I'm not so sure.

Dan

Erdoc48

Site Supporter
Bike
94/00/04 STs, FSC600
I actually thought about this yesterday- my personal belief is that the ST would be a lesser target for theft as it's:
-a low production bike, so there's probably not a huge market for pre-owned parts (except for us here)
-it's not a super/ high HP bike (like a race bike)

That said, I'd still recommend protecting your bike and helmet with whatever locks/ alarms, etc. you may have. 'Keep the honest people honest'

Bike
'03 ST1300
Thanks for the info.

In England the bike is in a high insurance group, but that's mainly down to the cost of the bike I assume? Here it was more expensive to have my '86 XL600R as my primary bike rather then the '03 ST1300 with Mods. Only $8 but goes to show you an old Honda dirt bike around here is still sort after by the by the unsavory types.

Tom Mac 04a

Site Supporter
Bike
04 ST1300a
STOC #
One idea not mentioned is COVER IT. IMO, a covered bike is less likely to be touched as there's no idea what model is under the cover.

But, I also don't worry about the ST being taken... havent heard of many stolen and if they were it would be posted here more.

Bike
2019 Goldwing Tour
I thought that page wasn't very useful other than saying Honda is the number 1 bike being taken.
I was thinking it would give the model at least.

Bike
'03 ST1300
Around here it's mainly the Honda dirt bikes, most are used for parts especially the older ones. Mine's road legal so at least I have insurance. But it's also in bits, I've saved any would be thief so many man hours already!

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
While in Louisville KY for my Father's funeral, I kept my bike parked in front of my Father's house for a week. I read the article on thefts and another on this forum about how to lock the forks to the left. I am thankful I used the fork lock, Three days ago some dirt bag tried to steal my bike and only managed to push it over onto its right side. My neighbor was able to chase him to a waiting Ford Expedition, LOL does any one think they could of just pulled the ST1300 into the back? The only damage seems to be scratches on the right mirror cover which popped off and a small dent on the exhaust. I hope the low life was somehow injured in the process and has wounds to remind him to not touch other persons things. I was able to return back to NY yesterday and my bike rode fine. Lesson learned is to use your vehicles theft prevention equipment.
Gary

acedantinne

Site Supporter
Bike
04-st1300, 15-1200RT
STOC #
In Pa. bike JACKING in & around some of our BEST cities is a real problem. Keep a sharp eye out on your back that is in heavy/stopped traffic.

Years ago, my Hayabusa was parked inside a gated townhouse community, Kryptonite 20+mm cable to support pole. Came out at 5am to leave, bike gone (yea, it's not 750 LBs wet, but it's 550 LBs wet and not easily maneuvered).

I installed a Scorpio with the RFID transceiver on the ST.
Yea, some folks will say that's overkill ... "just be sure you have good insurance".

But let's take one scenario. Let's say you've traveled to a small town on the coast for the weekend, staying a small motel, 200+ miles from home.
Bike gets stolen (I know, incredibly remote chance). You're 50+ miles from an airport, 30+ miles from nearest car rental.
Eventually, you get home and wait on the insurance company. Insurance finally pays up and now you gotta find a bike.

I'd rather wake up in the dead of night to the sound of the alarm going off (and maybe a scratch or two on the bike because it was dropped) and still have my bike, than to go through the hassle of dealing with insurance and finding a replacement.

GaryRivers67

Gary Rivers
Bike
2005 ST1300
STOC #
I am just glad that scratches were all that happened. Just a reminder to turn and lock your handlebars when parked. I may now obtain additional theft prevention, alarm and tracking for my ST1300.

Bike
ST1300A
I have a three-pronged security system when traveling (at home she's in the garage).
1. Take anything valuable off it. This lessens their interest to root around some more and maybe break into the locked cases just to find out they're empty.
2. Carry a cover and use it. My cover covers the fairings down to the ST1300 logo and the top box down to the bottom of the saddlebags and it fits in that space in the tailcone.
3. Park next to a Harley. No self respecting thief is going to look too long at my ST when it's parked next to some chrome wonder.

Bike
2007 ST1300
STOC #

ST13Fred

Fred
Bike
2015 Motus MST
One idea not mentioned is COVER IT. IMO, a covered bike is less likely to be touched as there's no idea what model is under the cover.
+1. I'm a firm believer in the old adage, 'out of sight, out of mind'. A silver cover w/no wording on it (like BMW), is all I have ever used.

Top Bottom