Electrical problem, but don't know where to start

OP
OP
michael_bluth

michael_bluth

but my name is Brian
Bike
2007 ST1300
Went with the Yuasa on amazon for the same $130. Will have to look around for the clip threads. The small one in the front of the panel is definitely not replaceable. All I can do is try to figure out how to get the half screw out of the enlarged threads and see if it can be rethreaded at the larger size.

SteveST1300

Site Supporter
Vendor
Bike
03&04 ST1300
STOC #
My old battery was show 16% life left after 4 years when I replaced it.
I wouldn't trudt that remaining life % number from the battery bug. Installed a brand new Shorai 2+years ago it showed 100% after one start it went down to 60 it is now at about 19% But the battery is fine bike starts no problem. Now it may be because its a lithium battery not sure about that but the bike starts every time so I just ignore that number the voltage meter works fine on the Battery Bug.

T_C

Bike
2005 St1300
STOC #
Now it may be because its a lithium battery not sure about that
Definitely can not use the Battery Bug on a LiFe battery in regards to battery life.
Using it on a lead-Acid battery is highly suspect too, IMHO.

As a volt-meter it is good.
Also if running a LiFe battery you won';t be able to go by the 10v during starting means time for a new battery.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
Battery is toast, if you go AGM get yourself one of these:
http://www.batteryweb.com/motorcycle-batteries-detail.cfm?model=PTZ14S
Batteries are a weak point on ST1300s and you need all of the juice that can be squeezed from these little guys. This is the best AGM that fits that I have found. Ironically, batteries for the ST1100 are larger.
+1 on an AGM battery. If you have lots of $$, you could go with a new Li-Fe technology battery (probably >$250). One in that physical size with about 30% more power capacity weighs ~4# I think - about 30% of the weight of a Pb-Acid battery. Sealed, and supposidly will last longer than an AGM.

Top Bottom