Noise Free America.

Bike
'08 ST1300ABS
STOC #
OK. I'll throw in my 2?...

I contend the whole of this discussion (and a lot of other things) is attributable to the degradation of "general respect for others" that has become pervasive over the last 25-30 years. It seems that it is now all about "me, me, me." I won't go into the details of how I believe this has come about, but I would challenge anyone to argue against this claim...

Someone else's "right to ride their own ride" ends when it cancels out someone else's rights, such as the right to enjoy some peace and quiet in a park uninterrupted by gratuitous noise, carry on a conversation, sleep undisturbed in their own home (btw, not everyone works the same schedule), to hear himself think, etc. Consideration, or lack thereof, for other people and their rights, and putting other people above oneself, is at the heart of this issue.

Bike
2010 Honda ST13

I contend the whole of this discussion (and a lot of other things) is attributable to the degradation of "general respect for others" that has become pervasive over the last 25-30 years. It seems that it is now all about "me, me, me." I won't go into the details of how I believe this has come about, but I would challenge anyone to argue against this claim...
If you look carefully enough, you can find anything. There are no data points/statistical analysis to quantify "general respect for others" so it's impossible to say you're wrong, but what I will say is that every generation has probably been saying the same thing for millennia.

Maybe I live in a different world than you, but I don't see this degradation. I do see extra loud bikers as disrespectful, but I'd rather see that than... for example, an "Irish Need Not Apply" sign from the early 1900's when some people think the world was more civilized.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
Maybe I live in a different world than you, but I don't see this degradation. I do see extra loud bikers as disrespectful, but I'd rather see that than... for example, an "Irish Need Not Apply" sign from the early 1900's when some people think the world was more civilized.
Priceless...

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
If you look carefully enough, you can find anything. There are no data points/statistical analysis to quantify "general respect for others" so it's impossible to say you're wrong, but what I will say is that every generation has probably been saying the same thing for millennia.

Well stated!

MrB

Bike
2013 GL1800 F6B
STOC #

Randy said 25-30 years. In that time period things have changed. My personal anecdote: The police in St. Louis used to give out tickets to bikes with straight pipes. I know, I got one! My muffler fell off and I wasn't able to find it, on the next day on the way to the dealer I got pulled over and got a ticket. Didn't have to pay anything when I presented proof of a new muffler, but the PD kept an eye out for loud bikes. My CB350 wasn't very loud without the muffler as I was embarrassed to give it any gas because I didn't want to make a lot of noise in the first place.
Other MC riders were aware of this and complied. The culture of that time was different, things have changed for the worse. (My experience is limited to a St. Louis and surrounding areas, maybe within 50 miles). Everything now is bigger and louder.
My story is not a statistic or data point that you require to quantify this, but if I had a way of accessing the St. Louis county and city historical data regarding tickets issued for excessive volume I'm sure it would be interesting! Will see if it's something a civilian can do.

We talk a lot about fixation and the concept of where the eyes goes, the bike follows, this is true of cars also. I've seen a guy on 270 with must be one of the loudest bikes in the world, it not only gets your attention but I've seen people turning their heads looking for it like they were in danger. While looking, their car is drifting out of the lane. I've seen this happen many times on the way home from work.

I would never ride a bike that was loud enough to get someones attention like that. I'd rather ride defensively and arrive alive, with my hearing and sanity intact.

Hearing a vehicle can be an advantage if you're blind or don't use your mirrors, but we shouldn't rely on the sense of hearing to drive safely. You may as well argue that we should add smell and taste to the list of senses besides vision that we need to ride/drive safely. Well I guess that's what the coal rollers are doing! (for the record: I've been coal rolled!!! It was a while ago and I just figured the guy's truck was messed up. Couple weeks ago I saw it was a thing they do)

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
I fail to see how "Irish Need Not Apply" compares to imposing one's noise onto others. It would seem to be the reverse.

Would one prefer to live in a society in which others impose themselves on others or one in which everyone behaves in a manner intended to improve the condition of others?

My right to swing my hand ends before your nose. My right to make noise ends before your ears.

sherob

Old Herder of cats.
Bike
21 HD FLHXS (SGS)
STOC #
I fail to see how "Irish Need Not Apply" compares to imposing one's noise onto others. It would seem to be the reverse.
He was showing the 1900's were not his idea civility based on those types of behavior.

Bike
2007 ST1300A

I couldn't have said it better!:plus1:

I am on board with some kind of legislation limiting DB levels from highway vehicles. The harley crowd has pissed me off for years with the arrogance of the straight pipes. I think that society should be outraged that in most locals this flaunting of established law is tolerated. I commonly hear that "loud pipes save lives" this is by any examination very flawed logic and at least delusional thinking.

Norm

Vendor
Bike
KLR650
STOC #
Confirmation bias is a huge factor in all of our thinking but seems most rife in groups which are pressured to conform for emotional reasons such as status. Anyone who hasn't watched the South Park clip regarding noisy Harleys may get a chuckle. I don't think a link would be allowed here because of the language which is another issue, IME, in which people seem engaged within the loud pipes crowd.

Problem is with all these things, "Where does one draw the line?". I'm quite comfortable with having my standards of ethics and behavior imposed onto others but they will not always agree. I certainly wouldn't accept having others' standards imposed onto me but that's because I am so much more rational. ;-)

Christopher Hitchens deals with this concept in a YouTube at University of Toronto in which he guts Canada's hate speech laws.

I am on board with some kind of legislation limiting DB levels from highway vehicles. The harley crowd has pissed me off for years with the arrogance of the straight pipes. I think that society should be outraged that in most locals this flaunting of established law is tolerated. I commonly hear that "loud pipes save lives" this is by any examination very flawed logic and at least delusional thinking.

Top Bottom