Radiator cap Stant 11233/11242
90-96Accord 2.2L 16psi BK7031406
Gates 31336
NAPA 703-2443, 13psi
NAPA 703-1406, 16psi
NAPA BK 7031406
Honda 19045-MY3-621
NAPA 16PSI, #703-1712 (also for the Honda Accord 2.2L) $7.69
I tried getting a substitute using many of those numbers (most were obsolete). The only one I could get had the "wings" on it and wouldn't clear the frame. If you can find one that works, I'd love to hear it.

Bike
'97 ST1100
STOC #
I tried getting a substitute using many of those numbers (most were obsolete). The only one I could get had the "wings" on it and wouldn't clear the frame. If you can find one that works, I'd love to hear it.
I seem to recall the same thing when I went looking a year ago. I may just bite the bullet and go OEM, mine's not getting any younger.

Bike
92 ST1100
The one 'ear' just rubs the frame a bit till it's twisted on past it...........not like your gonna be removing it on a regular bases...........starting with the suitcases of course

Bike
92 ST1100
The one 'ear' just rubs the frame a bit till it's twisted on past it...........not like your gonna be removing it on a regular bases...........starting with the suitcases of course:rolleyes::D.

Bike
2005 ST1300
+1 on the overflow tube. Found my 02's bulged and cracked just as lots have described yesterday when I took the fairing apart to investigate. Trimmed off the first inch, cleaned everything up and hose-clamped it back on. Did a coolant flush while I was at it. Everything seems to be working properly - fan and thermostat. Having the same issue finding an equivalent radiator cap without the wings. I'm going to order all Honda parts, including all hoses and do a complete replacement (major surgery with getting all the tee-fitting, hoses, etc under the carbs) as my winter project on both my 1100's this winter.

Bike
92 ST1100
+1 on the overflow tube. Found my 02's bulged and cracked just as lots have described yesterday when I took the fairing apart to investigate. Trimmed off the first inch, cleaned everything up and hose-clamped it back on. Did a coolant flush while I was at it. Everything seems to be working properly - fan and thermostat. Having the same issue finding an equivalent radiator cap without the wings. I'm going to order all Honda parts, including all hoses and do a complete replacement (major surgery with getting all the tee-fitting, hoses, etc under the carbs) as my winter project on both my 1100's this winter.
Excellent option...........preventative maintenance. May be a good time to unplug, clean with deoxit or similar ALL accessable plug-ins and re-coat with dielectic grease before plugging back in;).

Bike
ST1100
I was having a similar problem that also included the bike dying after I came back from a short but hot run. I noticed the fan wasn't kicking on and I was having to trickle charge my battery. Once I removed body pieces I found a bulging, gunked up hose at the overflow, low fluid in the radiator, reservoir full of old sludgy water, thermostat housing pretty rough looking. Cleaned everything up, cut back hoses, flushed radiator, also changed oil (it had been a while). Despite all of this, I just ran the bike for 10-15 minutes, the temp gauge didn't get up very high, although the bike felt warm, but the fan never kicked on and when I turned the bike off and tried to start it again, it was that same dead alternator kind of sound. Thoughts?

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
I was having a similar problem that also included the bike dying after I came back from a short but hot run. I noticed the fan wasn't kicking on and I was having to trickle charge my battery. Once I removed body pieces I found a bulging, gunked up hose at the overflow, low fluid in the radiator, reservoir full of old sludgy water, thermostat housing pretty rough looking. Cleaned everything up, cut back hoses, flushed radiator, also changed oil (it had been a while). Despite all of this, I just ran the bike for 10-15 minutes, the temp gauge didn't get up very high, although the bike felt warm, but the fan never kicked on and when I turned the bike off and tried to start it again, it was that same dead alternator kind of sound. Thoughts?
My thought are that you had more than one problem. It seems you have taken care of the cooling system problem. Now you need to look at the battery/charging system problem. Two different problems that should not affect each other.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
but if the fan isn't kicking on, have I fixed the cooling system problem?
Where was the temp needle at when the fan was not running? If it was not in the top 1/3 of the gauge it was not hot enough to make the fan run. Take it for a ride and get it up to normal operating temp. Then stop and let it idle. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes for the gauge to start creeping up. I've seen some that will come on just above halfway and others that wait until 3/4s.

Bike
ST1100
Where was the temp needle at when the fan was not running? If it was not in the top 1/3 of the gauge it was not hot enough to make the fan run. Take it for a ride and get it up to normal operating temp. Then stop and let it idle. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes for the gauge to start creeping up. I've seen some that will come on just above halfway and others that wait until 3/4s.
Indeed that's all it took. Thank you. It didn't however solve my charging system issue. Had this battery for 4-5 years and tried to keep tending to it even when away but first to check the Alternator...

Bike
ST1100
Although it did take more like 20 minutes to run it but as soon as it hit 50% boom it was on and soon as it went below 50 off.

schlep1967

Bill
Bike
GL1800
STOC #
Indeed that's all it took. Thank you. It didn't however solve my charging system issue. Had this battery for 4-5 years and tried to keep tending to it even when away but first to check the Alternator...
That is old for a battery. Take it to an autozone or equivalent and have it tested. Do check the alternator as planned. But figure on replacing that battery either way.

Bike
92 ST1100
Better be checking that VR plug-in!....along with ALL others that easily visisble with tupperware off. By 'checking', I don't visibly either. They ALL need to be unplugged, cleaned with deoxit or similar, dabed with dielectic grease BEFORE re-plugging back together. Sounds like 'preventative maint. has NEVER been done on that bike much, and it WILL get costly in a hurry if not attended to;).

Bike
ST1100
Yeah, I actually had to replace the VRR about two years ago and left the old somewhat burnt out connector plug in place. Upon inspection this time around I found the red 6p connector to be burnt out in the right lower corner, looking at it. I cleaned it up and am using some Gorilla glue as protective coating but probably need to get new connectors for both the VRR and the starter relay? plug (it's the one next to the 30amp fuse.

Bike
ST1100
On re-inspection, as I was writing from memory... It's the red 4p connector that's burnt out in the upper right corner. Can I order these plugs from Honda? I tried one of the links some suggested, Beaver Power, but I can't make sense of what connectors I really need...

Bike
92 ST1100
Yeah, I actually had to replace the VRR about two years ago and left the old somewhat burnt out connector plug in place. Upon inspection this time around I found the red 6p connector to be burnt out in the right lower corner, looking at it. I cleaned it up and am using some Gorilla glue as protective coating but probably need to get new connectors for both the VRR and the starter relay? plug (it's the one next to the 30amp fuse.
Leaving that compromised connector prior has now become your demise today.....lesson learned.
Once those brass contacts discolor from heat, their ability to carry current FREELY is compromised;) The charecteristics of the metal is changed from heat, and replacing with new is the ONLY solution. Soldering connections can, at times have the same effect, depending on application;).

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
I swapped out the hose last weekend with some braided rubber fuel line and also a new OEM rad cap. Filled the rad through the cap and ran it up to temp twice and the fan kicked in both times. Then I made sure the bottle had the right amount and it's been ok. I have to get it to temp again in traffic for the real test. For mine it gets just to the temp icon in the middle and then the fan kicks in. It has been like this since day one and works fine when it does.
I could find no fault with either part but maybe something was not air tight?
Thanks for the help once again :)

Top Bottom