ST1100 overheating

Ron

Bike
ST1100s
STOC #
On re-inspection, as I was writing from memory... It's the red 4p connector that's burnt out in the upper right corner. Can I order these plugs from Honda? I tried one of the links some suggested, Beaver Power, but I can't make sense of what connectors I really need...

The connector cannot be ordered from Honda. Carefully cut back the tape around the wires and inspect the wires and 4 crimped lugs. I found my problem was the red wire. The connector and the other crimps and wires were OK. I did the "Red Wire Bypass" for $10 and 10 minutes. Worked great so far (10K miles). Look at: www.st-riders.net/index.php?topic=7130.0

I did not do the Ignition Relay Bypass Modification toward the end of the explanation.

OP
OP
ak85lp

ak85lp

(Paul)
Bike
2018 VStrom 1000XA
UPDATE

After my post last year I thought I had this problem beat but it returned this weekend.:mad:
Riding through a town the bike did get up to the higher temp and I did hear the fan kick in twice. By the time I got to my destination in town it had boiled over at the overflow bottle. I haven't had time to check it but I will look for no cracks in the overflow hose that I replaced last year and make sure the new rad cap is on tight.

I did not replace the thermostat and some research shows that if it does fail then it will stick open anyway. I don't mind replacing it if that turns out to be the issue but I was not able to find a suitable auto part number as the Honda OEM is supposed to be quite expensive.

Bike
2021 RE Meteor 350
Certainly is the symptoms of a split in the overflow hose. A thermostat can also fail stuck closed, but this wouldn't cause boiling over from the overflow bottle. Loose rad cap would cause this as well.

Bike
Vstrom 650
I did not replace the thermostat and some research shows that if it does fail then it will stick open anyway. I don't mind replacing it if that turns out to be the issue but I was not able to find a suitable auto part number as the Honda OEM is supposed to be quite expensive.
I used a stat from an early 80's Honda civic, cost ?5,exact same stat, the oem stat was 50.

Bike
Vstrom 650
Last edited:
Top Bottom