Gas tank bubbling

Bike
2005 ST 1300
Is it normal after riding a really long day and its like 90+ out to have your gas tank bubbling like the sound a radiator makes when its dumping water back into the overflow tank? This happened to me last week on my trip to Alcataz and Yosemite. It would do this for about 15 minutes after I shut off the bike. Also there was a strong gas smell. I opened the tank cap and let it air out a bit. Just wondering if I'm riding a time bomb? Also the tank was so hot I couldn't hold my hand on it. But it was 104 degrees out soooooo yeah. LOL

970mike

Mike Brown
Site Supporter
Bike
07 & 12 ST1300A
SPOT
LINK
STOC #
Oh that is a normal thing when it is hot on the ST. Just get yourself a cool drink and keep riding that machine!!

OldWingit

Ed Wing
Bike
ST1300
If you remove the two inner cowls your tank will not get nearly as hot, at least while moving. Mine have been out for nine years and are never going back in!

Ed

BakerBoy

It's all small stuff.
STOC #
Normal. Constituents of gasoline boil at temperatures as low as 90F, but most don't boil until the upper 100'sF (180-190F), and some constituents don't boil until ~400F. When it boils, DON"T open your gas cap ... all you're doing is venting expensive gas vapors and not decreasing the boiling that will continue as long as bike parts are hot. If you keep the cap closed, the vaporized (boiled) gas vapors in the tank can condense when cooled and you'll not lose the energy you paid for at the pump.

Top Bottom